Page 1 of 2
I am looking to buy a new guitar and i want my next guitar to be a Fender Telecaster. Looking to spend around a $1000 for one, so probably an American one. The Highway One looks real appealing because its cheaper. But, then theres American Standard, American Deluxe, and etc. Which one do you all reccomend? Is Highway One any good?
Thanks-
Check out the Baja and the 50s Classic. They're MIM but they're effing sweet.

Highway 1 are awesome as well. I have a HWY1 bass and it's sick.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
What I'm going to do is buy an MIA Deluxe used on craigslist, like This
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Sandly for you Fender prices went up today, i believe lowest you can get an american tele for new is like 1280.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
too bad used prices are staying the same.

Maybe not for long.
Quote by I am wet
Sandly for you Fender prices went up today, i believe lowest you can get an american tele for new is like 1280.

Thanks to the exchange rate I can get a new fender american for 880 euro

Go for the american standard- great guitars for great value
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Wow, dude i was in the exact same situation two summers ago. First off, make sure you picked the right tele for you, play as many as you can in your price range. Second, play different types of your top choices (Highway series in your case) and find the right fretboard and body. I like a maple fretboard, but if you want more speed you would probably prefer a rosewood. And don't let anybody bull**** you saying you can't get an American Tele for less than 1200. Mine is a beauty, an american '72 thinline with ash body and maple fretboard, and i got it down from 1300 to just over a thousand. You'll find your proper axe mate, and lemme tell ya...my telecaster changed my playing in immeasurable ways.

Happy Playing!!!

""Get your Gopher Gravy.....from the Greasy Granny!!""
If you have $1000 get the highway one, there real nice, and you'd have a bit of extra cash.
but once you get in the higher prices it's really about, what exactly YOUR preferences are.
Gear:
Ibanez GSZ120
Mitchell MD-100S
Roland Cube 60
Boss DD-7
Im thinking about getting one with a maple neck, since the strat i have is rosewood. The highway one sounds good and they're only around $800. They describe that they make them more for the sound than the looks. Thats what i want. I want the best sounding one for the price, not the best looking one. What is the difference between those, American Standard, Highway One, and American Deluxe? What about pickups? What are the best sounding pickups for a telecaster? I looking for that vintage tele twang.
Thanks-
Quote by Skierinanutshel
as long as it is a burst, has a rosewood neck, and at least a top body binding, i dont care which tele you get.

because it's really going to affect you isn't it.

standard > highway one. get yourself down to a shop and try a few out.
Try a MIJ. I like mine more than the USA Standard and Mex I had. Better built,better finished ,super neck and glorious tone. Cheaper than a MIA too.
Is it just me or do youhave really high action?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
why is the action so high on that MIJ?

In anycase, just go out an play all the tele's you can. The Telecasters are suprisingly individualistic guitars. I've got a Squier VM myself that I've upgraded a few parts on, and I have to say: the nut and fretwork were imaculate, WAY TOO GOOD for a squier. But, with a bridge upgrade and soon to be upgraded pickups, it'll be on par with the MIM reissues, easily. But, even the other VM in the store when I got mine wasn't as well done as mine.

Just go out and try every tele you can get your hands on. There's differant shaped necks, bridges and fretboards and fretwire on them, and you may LOVE the feel of the squier, but the sound of the MIA. Or you may prefer the feel of the MIM Thinline reissue, but want the sound of the Baja... who knows?! Just go out and try 'em all.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
wow the action on that guitar is pretty high. like said

and buy used.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i agree with those guys ^

look used, before you go splashing uneccesary cash on new tele.

you can get a nicer guitar, for less. usually.

unless your looking vintage/50s/60s.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Skierinanutshel
for slide playing perhaps?

yeah i thought maybe he left it like that for slide. but after reading his line above the pics, i didnt get that impression.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

High action. Its a bit of a optical illusion. Look at the size of th frets. Its really not as high as it looks.
Quote by marantz1300
High action. Its a bit of a optical illusion. Look at the size of th frets. Its really not as high as it looks.

you mean your low E isn't 3/8" above the frets at the neck pocket like it looks like in all three pictures?
I'll measure and post. I dont like a low action,rattles and buzzing annoy me. You might be right. Here's a pic. £1 coin ,touching the string at the last frets. A tad high maybe,but not like it looks in the other photo. Between 2.5mm and 3mm.
Last edited by marantz1300 at Mar 3, 2009,
+1 on the Highway 1's. The necks and jumbo frets are particularly nice. And the pickups are designed for high gain applications, but nice on clean tones.
Im thinking about getting one used. I shucked out a ton of $$$ for my SRV strat new already. But, I want a tele too. What things should I watch out for getting a used guitar? I kind of want an American Made one. Also, whats the deal with the G-bender or B-benders they put on teles? Lastly, what is the best sounding tele pickups?
Thanks-
I ve been looking at the prices and more and more, i think i might want to get one thats made in Mexico. They're about $500 cheaper or so than an American Standard Telecaster. Whats the difference between a made in mexico tele and one thats made in America other than one being made in america? Im an intermediate to professional player, so i wouldn't want to get an mexican made one and wish i had saved up the extra $$ for an american made one. Really im looking for good tone and reliability as far as staying in tune, though, i don't think teles have floating bridges like the strats. Are the Mexican teles crap or are they very good? Also, i am looking for the vintage styling and sound plus an ash body and maple fingerboard with good alnico pickups. A turnoff to me from the Highway One series, is that the pickups are better for "modern distortion". I am not really looking for that. I am looking for one with good cleans and for chicken picking with the classic tele "twang". And to add a more country sound to my rig.
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
I ve been looking at the prices and more and more, i think i might want to get one thats made in Mexico. They're about $500 cheaper or so than an American Standard Telecaster. Whats the difference between a made in mexico tele and one thats made in America other than one being made in america? Im an intermediate to professional player, so i wouldn't want to get an mexican made one and wish i had saved up the extra $$ for an american made one. Really im looking for good tone and reliability as far as staying in tune, though, i don't think teles have floating bridges like the strats. Are the Mexican teles crap or are they very good? Also, i am looking for the vintage styling and sound plus an ash body and maple fingerboard with good alnico pickups. A turnoff to me from the Highway One series, is that the pickups are better for "modern distortion". I am not really looking for that. I am looking for one with good cleans and for chicken picking with the classic tele "twang". And to add a more country sound to my rig.
Thanks-

I'll explain best I can.
The MIA teles have better feeling necks, they're rolled fretboards, which are more comfortable to play on. I personally wouldn't spring the extra $500 for just that feature, but the MIA's infact have Alnico (Alnico II, IIRC) pickups, better fret work and better hardware. For an Ash body, I believe the MIA standards do offer that feature in the sunburst and transparent finishes, but I'm not sure if they've changed that.

You might have better luck getting exactly what you want by getting a MIM classic tele and then upgrading the pickups, though. The classic style bridge (three brass saddle) is crucial to me on a tele, and if you're concerned about intonation, you can pickup a wilkinsen compensated tele bridge with brass saddles for fairly cheap. If you put a set of Seymour Duncan pickups into a MIM (or even Squier) vintage style tele, you'll get an AMAZING guitar out of it. In the case of the Squiers, a definate hardware upgrade is in order.

I'd also suggest checking out some treble bleed mods and looking into 5-way super switches for ultimate versatility and tones, as well.

But, yeah. A MIM Classic Tele, a set of CTS or Alpha pots, treble bleed mod, compensated saddle bridge, 5-way super switch and some Duncan pickups and you'll have a vintage style monster of a tele. Even the CV Squier tele and VM Thinline have been getting rave reviews with those same mods, I gotta say, my VM Thinline is a FANTASTIC guitar for the money I paid for it.
Thanks- I am looking for an ash body, a maple fretboard, and just two pickups, no more. I don't want one with three. The reason being looks and a tele traditionally has only two pickups and it might make it like a strat with three. I will list out the guitars I am currently looking at:
American Standard Telecaster (this one is almost too expensive for me)

MIM Standard Telecaster Ash Body

Highway One Series Texas Telecaster

Classic Series Classic Player Baja Telecaster

Special Edition Lite Ash Telecaster

Classic Series '50's Telecaster

Which of these would you reccomend? The Classic Series '50s telecaster kinda interested me. Also, in a cheaper guitar, which of the following pickups would you reccomend putting in?

Fender Custom Shop Texas Special Telecaster Pickups

Fender SCN Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Telecaster Pickups

Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele Pickups

The Samerium Cobalt Noiseless Pickups seems to be the best. Are they good for cleans and chicken picking? I am looking for the classic tele twang sound, not looking for good distortion out of this guitar.
classic 50's and a set of Seymour Duncan '54s
Okay im back at looking at American Teles again except the classic series one:
American Deluxe Ash Telecaster
American Standard Telecaster
American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Classic 50's MIM Telecaster
Classic Player Baja Telecaster
Lite Ash Telecaster
Vintage Hotrod '52 Telecaster

Which one of these would you reccomend? Im looking for the good clean tele twang. Whats the difference between the Vintage Hotrod '52 Telecaster and American Vintage '52 Telecaster? Which one is the best as far as tone?
Thanks-
what amp you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by marantz1300
I'll measure and post. I dont like a low action,rattles and buzzing annoy me. You might be right. Here's a pic. £1 coin ,touching the string at the last frets. A tad high maybe,but not like it looks in the other photo. Between 2.5mm and 3mm.

Maybe it was the angle of the previous photo...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by asdaven
Okay im back at looking at American Teles again except the classic series one:
American Deluxe Ash Telecaster
American Standard Telecaster
American Vintage '52 Telecaster
Classic 50's MIM Telecaster
Classic Player Baja Telecaster
Lite Ash Telecaster
Vintage Hotrod '52 Telecaster

Which one of these would you reccomend? Im looking for the good clean tele twang. Whats the difference between the Vintage Hotrod '52 Telecaster and American Vintage '52 Telecaster? Which one is the best as far as tone?
Thanks-

I'm following this thread with interest as we are both in a very similar situation at the same time. I've played quite a few Teles now and have finally nailed my choice down to the American Standard in natural maple with maple neck.

My rationale is that as nice as the Vintage '52 reissue is, I don't particularly like the colour and I certainly don't like the restriction of the ashtray bridge. Also, the wiring of the '52 is pretty nasty. Bridge only, neck only, or some weird muddy crappy version of the neck pickup. The switch in the forward position doesn't sound pleasing at all. Fender do issue you with a wiring diagram and bridge kit to rewire this to the modern configuration, but if you're going to do that you're killing the entire point of the vintage reissue; and I daresay that will kill resale value.

I ruled out the American Deluxe Ash pretty easily based on two things; For one the S1 switching system isn't *that* impressive, and you really only get four pickup configuration options, not six as Fender advertise. For two, I don't believe the SCN pickups add $500 value to the guitar.

So in terms of bang-for-buck I really dig the American Standard. They sound just so sweet with that perfect Tele twang when using only the bridge pickup; I love the maple neck/fingerboard being one piece; and the included SKB case (which weighs next to nothing) is a huge win in my eyes.

Why did the Fender prices go up? I wanted to buy an Aerodyne bass but its like $300 more expensive.

As for the Tele, I played a American Standard a while back and I loved the feel. Played a Deluxe Nashville or something like that a bit later and it just felt awkward.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I actually love the color of the 52 telecaster, thats exactly what im looking for. I like the vintage ash tray bridge, it didin't get in the way too much IMO. I didin't play on the neck pickup much. But, really im buying a telecaster to get the sound of the bridge pickup. Thats what teles are known for. I retry the American Standard. I also tried the baja and classic 50's tele.
Thanks-
I have the Classic 50s Tele, so go ahead and ask me any questions you may have about it. I really love mine to death but I never tried out the Baja, which seems to be the only other tele in that range that would compete. My tele can handle most modern genres of music, up to and including metal tones with the stock single coils, but when you want that vintage sound it REALLY delivers. I play mine through a Champ 600 and it's such a great little combo. The two really love each other, and I can't wait until I have a good speaker in there (should be another week or two).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Page 1 of 2