i got an acrylic [clear] galveston v off a friend for pretty much free, so i figured itd be pretty cool to hook up LEDs into it, to make it look sexy.

does anybody know of a website that can teach me how to wire this kinda stuff? or can someone teach me? i wanna hook up a switch to it and actually wire it throughout the guitar. i can use a regular 9 volt to power it.

***UPDATE *** 3-9-09

so ive finally got everything set up, and everything is working. however i have one problem. one 9 volt isnt enough to power the LEDs inside the guitar, and the output brightness is VERY weak. i figure im going to have to power them from the input jack, but im stuck on what level of a resistor i should use. do i decide this based on the voltage of the amp?

ALSO, for anyone who wants to know plexiglass has more of a bright side to it.

as you can see, i need more power.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Mar 9, 2009,
i was gonna do the exact same thing to a B.C Rich i got for $6.00. i started adding up everything i wanted to do to it and i couldnt afford it. haha
Quote by Fenderhippie69
i was gonna do the exact same thing to a B.C Rich i got for $6.00. i started adding up everything i wanted to do to it and i couldnt afford it. haha

really? how expensive was it gonna be?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Post some pics, cause a plexi V sounds badass to me. I would love to see it.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by Mad Mike 829
Post some pics, cause a plexi V sounds badass to me. I would love to see it.

i will whenever i get it set up. dont expect it anytime soon. ill go back to this thread and post some later.

im thinking green LEDs would be cool. anybody have any different ideas?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
i will whenever i get it set up. dont expect it anytime soon. ill go back to this thread and post some later.

im thinking green LEDs would be cool. anybody have any different ideas?

green and like a neon blue
Quote by koalabacon
really? how expensive was it gonna be?

i was going to cut out a triangle in the body and have a costum peice of plexi glass it put over the hole, new pick ups, new neck [had a small cracked and the frets werent even], i was going to custom pain the body as well. i did a rough estimate and figured it would cost somewhere from 250 to 300 considering i was 16 at the and couldnt do any of that myself and had no job it was way over my budget.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
i was going to cut out a triangle in the body and have a costum peice of plexi glass it put over the hole, new pick ups, new neck [had a small cracked and the frets werent even], i was going to custom pain the body as well. i did a rough estimate and figured it would cost somewhere from 250 to 300 considering i was 16 at the and couldnt do any of that myself and had no job it was way over my budget.

ironic, im 16.

for now im just gonna set up leds. im thinking in the future ill make a plexi pick guard for it or something.

EDIT: a custom paint job might look cool, but ive seen Vai's[im pretty sure its his model] custom plexi JEMs paint jobs, and they look kinda bad.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by koalabacon
ironic, im 16.

for now im just gonna set up leds. im thinking in the future ill make a plexi pick guard for it or something.

EDIT: a custom paint job might look cool, but ive seen Vai's[im pretty sure its his model] custom plexi JEMs paint jobs, and they look kinda bad.

that is sorta ironic. lol

yeah, i wanted to make that guitar the most badass guitar i've ever seen. lol incase i didnt make it clear, i wanted to howel out part of the body to put the LEDs in. instead of spending a ton of money that guitar i bought a telecaster for a ton of money. xD
lol if had the choice between the two, idve gone with the telecaster as well. i would rather set aside money for a good solid guitar, rather then a project.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

One problem with acrylic is when you drill it can cause the entire guitar to become cloudy. Make sure your drill bits are as sharp as possible.
Here's a website I've done some buissiness with regarding plexiglass. They are really cheap and have very fast shipping. If you want to make a pickguard. Also they have some advice on working with acryllic and plexi:
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Transparent_Colored_Plexiglass_Sheets_s/55.htm
Quote by end_citizen
One problem with acrylic is when you drill it can cause the entire guitar to become cloudy. Make sure your drill bits are as sharp as possible.
Here's a website I've done some buissiness with regarding plexiglass. They are really cheap and have very fast shipping. If you want to make a pickguard. Also they have some advice on working with acryllic and plexi:
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Transparent_Colored_Plexiglass_Sheets_s/55.htm

i love UG for this reason. everyone knows something that someone else might not. thanks a lot. that info is important towards my project
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon

You mean the JEM20ths? They arent painted, thats colours actually mixed inside the plexiglass, kinda like a marble. IMO they look pretty good.