I'm wondering really just what are some of the sound differences you will get from a p or a j bass. Wondering for what type of music would each bass be best suited for and things like that. thanks.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
P-Bass is more bassy, and bottom end punchy. rock, hard rock, and Metal
J-Bass has alot more mid range to it. Jazz, Blues, and Country

Thos genres are just generalizations though, and it definately all comes completely down to preference just like almost anything instrument related. Hope that helps.
Last edited by suggy88 at Feb 26, 2009,
Just try em both out and see what you like, they're not just able to play a few genres only, they can play whatever you want them too.

Personally, I like the J better, the P just looks so.... boring?
Quote by GisleAune
My bro has a j bass,

2 GOOD REASSONS
1. they have 2 pickups
2. they look better

You can get two P pickups on a bass, ive saw a few of them, never played one though. Looks is also what your personal preference is, I actually prefer P pickup looks, cos theyre chunky, but saying that humbuckers are more brutal in appearance than P's so yeah, personal preference.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
P bass is more bold and bassy and Jazzes to me sound more aggresive at times.
www.myspace.com/thepressmen
Check it out! If you do listen, ignore the bass playing on the songs. I recorded them when i was alot worse then i am now.

Quote by isildurs_bane
This is the pit. People will fight to the death about their favorite colour.
P's sound "bassier" to most people because they have a lot more mid range emphasis and so cut through better. J basses usually have tighter lows, clearer highs, but a distinct lack of midrange punch compared to the P-bass.

I think the genre suggestions above are ridiculous. Both of these basses can be used in many situations. You wouldn't typically slap on a p-bass though, nor would you typically get the standard "punk punch" out of a jazz bass. There are plenty of exceptions, but that's maybe the easiest way to think of them in terms of genre.

You can see how a p-bass's midrange would make it cut through in metal, or how a j-bass's bass boom and treble sizzle makes it jive with other scooped instruments in a metal act. You get the same type of thing going on for most any genre you can think of, both produce typical sounds within that genre.

It's nice for us to describe this and all, but you can't really get a feel for what we're talking about until you just go AB the basses. Go spend a few hours at the music shop.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 27, 2009,
The P's weight is pretty evenly divided between neck and body because of the famous baseball-bat neck. The J, however, has more of its weight concentrated in the body since it has both a bigger body and a thinner neck. The weight distribution of the J feels better to me, but that might just be because I have a J and that's what I'm used to. It's just something to consider, but you'll adapt to either after a while.

However, I like the sound and looks of both; you really can't go wrong with a Fender bass.
my personal favorites are basses with p/j configuration as i love the variety,

e.g fender aerodyne, fender p bass special, schecter model-t or a peavey zodiac.

best of both worlds
I have P bass but I think I might get a J when I have the money, or maybe one with both.
At this stage in my playing I cover alot of Paul McCartney and John Paul Jones. I would guess that a j bass would be alot better for this?
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Quote by GisleAune
My bro has a j bass,

2 GOOD REASSONS
1. they have 2 pickups
2. they look better

those are the 2 single, worst reasons ever
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The Precision has more punch than the Jazz. The best thing you can do with either is fit a J-Retro kit, http://www.east-uk.com/ I've fitted these kits to two of my Basses.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by ScottB.

Retarded as it sounds, having two pickups it the best thing about the jazz bass IMO.
It just gives a fantastic tonal range.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

You wouldn't typically slap on a p-bass.

I would.

P bass with a Maple fretboard, Tasty slap tone
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ScottB.

Don't be an idiot.

When you buy a bass you have to like the way it looks, so 1 of those statements is, in fact, not a bad reason, and the other, having two pickups, is not a bad reason to chose one bass over another because you can get more tonal qualities with two pickups which each have their own volume knob.
since i like the sex appeal of both types of pick ups and the body of jazz bass i got my Aerodyne, because i'm a good person
Try adding more delay.
Quote by 4 strings
my personal favorites are basses with p/j configuration as i love the variety,

e.g fender aerodyne, fender p bass special, schecter model-t or a peavey zodiac.

best of both worlds

OOH! OOH! Did you know? Robert DeLeo helped design that bass!

...And I've never been able to try one.

EDIT: Well drat, I just went to Schecter's website, because on the product pages they used to have someone playing the instrument in the background of each product's page, and for the Model-T, it was Robert. But now the site's layout is all different and... kind of weird.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I prefer J Basses to versatility and aggressiveness. I also prefer the neck cause I'm only 5'4", and my hands aren't that big.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Ah so there is hope...

Also I prefer Jazz due to the knob layout.
Quote by FbSa
^That's it! No other idea will even come close to that one. Joetime get's a pizza!
Quote by Joetime
Ah so there is hope...

Also I prefer Jazz due to the knob layout.

teehee!!!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
To me this argument is like asking if you prefer a fork or a knife. Both Ps and Js have their place in music and different roles. However, the J is a bit more versatile for most rock and funk music overall.

The P has a distinct sound, but damn what a sound it is. I love Precision basses and after I get a EUB, I am going to probably retire the old AccuBass Precision clone and get either a Lakland or a Fender style P bass.