Hey gang- HTH here again looking for answers.

The band played a gig last week at a local teen place... went ok but the crowd was taken by surprise. I've come to the conclusion that the local scene only likes really hardcore heavy metal or light ****. And we are somewhere in the middle- Our band lives 45 minutes from NYC so I've decided that we should move into the more open environment- as I do have many friends who live around there, the teen scene tends to be more punkish and high energy rock like we play.

That's why tommorow is a business day. We made our first gig money ($70) so we have decided to open up a bank account by which to serve as a band fund wherein we deposit gig/merch cash into buy cds/recording time/essential gear etc etc. We're making a tennative list of **** we need tommorow- we're also working on coming up with a functional, artistic, and badass. After the Drummer and I saw P-funk we kind of conlcuded that a malleable, functional, and non-forced image was what we needed to differentiate ourselves. After that we've got to make copies of
our demo thing to put in our Press kit. Any tips on writing press kits?

Tips on making ourselves more appealing to NYC venues?
Tips on making ourselves more appealing to a broader audiance?
Tips on functioning as a band with an oldschool sound in a newschool world?
Thanks for all replies and help
-MS
Ok, first off...how would you describe your music more specifically
second...a lot of places in NYC are 21 and over and require that you bring a following and/or people who would buy drinks
Have you tried looking into other places in the area (I live right outside the city)
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by rocknskate4
Ok, first off...how would you describe your music more specifically
second...a lot of places in NYC are 21 and over and require that you bring a following and/or people who would buy drinks
Have you tried looking into other places in the area (I live right outside the city)

You can check my music out via the link in my signature
I would describe our music in a more normal context as Classic Hard rock styled music
If i were to describe it in a context of my own, I would describe it as Psychadelic Garage Thrash

I have not looked into too many venues outside of NYC, I will get on that ASAP
check into these places:

The Nyack Center (a.k.a. The Backdoor)-Nyack NY
Olives-Nyack, NY
Mainstage-Pompton Lakes, NJ
Knitting Factory, NYC
Arlenes Grocery, NYC (this will probably be a stretch b/c of your genre imo)

Im not gonna lie, its gonna be pretty difficult to find a venue that has only your type of music...your just gonna have to play out as much as possible

As for NYC venues...you need to individually call each one to see if they would accomodate you guys if youre under 21...like i said before, alot of those places require you to have a pretty good following first
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
...and for press kits go here:

getsigned.com
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Interesting news, Apparently i have to register as a business to get an account by which people can sign out checks to my band that means we're taxed by the state... We don't make enough money for that! dammit...
Quote by Highwaytohell
Interesting news, Apparently i have to register as a business to get an account by which people can sign out checks to my band that means we're taxed by the state... We don't make enough money for that! dammit...

Just put the money in a savings account and give the cash card to someone else in the band while you keep the pin number, that way it takes at least two of you in the band to draw out any of the money (I know this sounds like an untrusting way to do it but at least this way, no one is tempted to 'borrow some cash 'till payday', which is a slippery slope)

You want to attract a crowd that's into the music you do? What poster designs are you using?
I know it sounds simple but it's worth saying, good poster designs for gigs are essential for attracting the right crowd for your gigs. And the poster design shouldn't just suggest what type of band you are, it should scream what sort of band you are.

These are all just my personal opinion but take this lettering for example, it suggests 'Hardcore Metal.'

Or this one, which suggests a kinda Sabbathy type of classic metal.

This suggests 'Classic Rock.'

The images you use are important too, look at these three pieces of art by William Blake.
This would work for a hardcore metal band,

This works for Classic Metal,

And this works for Classic Rock.

Get the right image with the right logo and you'd be amazed what an effect it has, especialy if you can get A2 or larger full colour posters made. This suggests a band with a lot of money to spend which suggests a band of quality to many punters
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 2, 2009,
SlackerBabbath has sme brilliant advice, although personally all the images posted looked pretty 'metal' to me.

It's a very valid point though - your graphic design is essential as it's the first -and possibly only - thing people will judge your band on if they haven't already heard you. You can't create an 'image' for yourselves without design that matches your style.

If no-one in the band is handy with Photoshop, it's well worth finding a mate that is (a lot of people are these days) and offering him a few quid, or getting a copy of Photoshop/Elements and figuring out the basics for yourself. Trust me, keeping all the design within the band saves a lot of money!
Quote by kyle62
SlackerBabbath has sme brilliant advice, although personally all the images posted looked pretty 'metal' to me.

I know what you mean, they are all fairly similar, but then, they are all by the same artist, but my point was that the first with all the blood and gore suits extreme metal, the second with the demon suits classic metal and the third, a little softer than the second in it's depiction of angels rather than demons, suits classic rock.

Quote by kyle62
It's a very valid point though
Quote by kyle62
- your graphic design is essential as it's the first -and possibly only - thing people will judge your band on if they haven't already heard you. You can't create an 'image' for yourselves without design that matches your style.

If no-one in the band is handy with Photoshop, it's well worth finding a mate that is (a lot of people are these days) and offering him a few quid, or getting a copy of Photoshop/Elements and figuring out the basics for yourself. Trust me, keeping all the design within the band saves a lot of money!

Agreed.
Hey, i live in NYC, and as part of an up and coming local band i have a list of venues that most indipendant bands would be able to play at:

The Knitting Factory
Bronx Underground (network of Bronx shows/venues, very influential in the Bronx scene)
Dock Street
The Haunt
The Yippie Cafe
All Ages NYC (organization for all ages venues in the city)
ABC No Rio
The Stolen Sleeves Collective
Pass Out Record Shop
Rocky Sullivan's
The Trash Bar
Public Assembly
Don Hill's
Crash Mansion
The Tank
Angels and Kings

Thats what i copied from my bookmarks. Most of them are on myspace, and if you cant find it by googling it, add "NYC" to the end of it. most of these are all ages, and some may be more useful for your band than others. There are a couple in the Bronx and Brooklyn, but go to them anyway, because there is a huge scene there so getting a following in those boroughs would mean a lot.

EDIT: to answer your other questions, the NYC scene is really diverse. There are some really hardcore death metal bands and groups like MGMT came out of brooklyn.

I would say changing your marketing strategies to appeal to the kids is the best idea. Theres some cool stickies in this forum and also try looking in these venue's Top Friends on myspace, or search for the headlining bands that are playing there. Try to find one thats similiar in style to what you play. Ask yourself "what did this band do to get all these fans?"

Your band myspace is very important, since thats how most people find out about shows nowadays is through myspace bulletins and emails. Try to get a tech savvy friend to make your myspace look as cool as possible. If a potential fan clicks on their favorite venue and sees you playing the next show, they'll probably click on your myspace to see if they would want to see you live. A simple, black and white page would probably lead them to believe they found another generic, boring band. But if your page has more to offer and looks like its updated more, they'll stick around to hear more of your music and will come to your show.

Just a couple of tips from another DIY NYC band
Last edited by One on Sunday at Mar 4, 2009,
Thanks for all the advice gang

I've been contemplating a few marketing techniques and might contact a few of my artist buds to help out. I will definitely try to look into how these bands get fans and such - with the market being not so open to chameloonish prog music like ours it might be tough but it'll definitely pay off in the long run. I'm ok with photoshop and I usually go with very minimalistic designs, the black red white color scheme usually works. You can check our myspace in my sig to see the latest flyer.

Any other tips?
I just found out that I just need a guardian to play bars... oh my god...
Time to contact some bars!
I feel my music might be more acceptable in a bar environment, its really raunchy loud and fun sounding stuff, so the whole teen thing might not go down too well.