I just got recruited into a ska band. I have played smiler genres (punk, some jazz, a touch of reggae) but I have never played in a "ska" band. What are some tips and who should I listen to for some inspiration?
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
i would say practice some major and minor scales to build up speed. also listen to some sublime, maybe santeria
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
use all 4 of your fingers on your right hand for pure awsomeness
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
mighty mighty bosstones and reel big fish got lots of good tunes
My Gear:
Dean Dixie Rebel
Esp-Ltd Viper-400
Ibanez Ael-20e
Mesa/Boogie F-50
Check out the original Keasbey Nights album by Catch 22 and Everything Goes Numb by Streetlight Manifesto. Both albums have Josh Ansley on them, he's ****ing sick.
Walking basslines are going to be essential in ska as well as arppegiated chords Roots to fifths work nicely as well.

For 1st wave--listen to Desmond Dekker. Skatalites, Prince Buster, the The Ethiopians and to some extent, Toots and the Maytals.
Quote by Shpongled
Check out the original Keasbey Nights album by Catch 22 and Everything Goes Numb by Streetlight Manifesto. Both albums have Josh Ansley on them, he's ****ing sick.

word
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by weez13
mighty mighty bosstones and reel big fish got lots of good tunes

THIS X1000000000.....+2 and maybe some Goldfinger too
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Quote by Captain Insano
What kind of Ska?

No clue, a friend of mine was like. "Hey you play bass really well! Join my ska band." I needed a gig and he is a cool guy so I did not pass up the opportunity... did I mention that I needed a gig
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Well ska can be anywhere from Desmond Decker to Reel Big Fish, from The English Beat to Streetlight Manifesto. I like third wave myself but two-tone is some pretty awesome stuff too.

I would recommend definitely looking up Streetlight Manifesto. Josh Ansley on Everything Goes Numb did a great job, that is not as difficult as their remake of Keasbey Nights, which is still easier than Somewhere In the Between. But the bass playing on each of them is exemplary.

Also I would recommend looking up Westbound Train. They have some pretty sweet licks. And they got some soul too.

Walking basslines are great for ska, arpeggiated chords, learn your basic major and minor scales if you don't know them. Easiest way to build a bass line, for me at least is to take the chord progression the guitarist is playing, start by just following on root notes, then when I have it memorized start flourishing and expanding on it until I am moving all around that damn scale.

A really simple ska bassline that you'll hear alot is Root, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, or root, 3rd, 5th, octave. It is a good place to start. Congrats on joining a ska band, not enough of those today. And definitely look up Roger Manganelli's basslines, Less Than Jake's bassist. A really easy one to learn is The Science of Selling Yourself Short. It is the first ska song I learned on bass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
im also in a ska/ reggae type band.
mostly just sublime cover. ebin is a good song for bass.
I listen to alooot of sublime for inspiration, also some slighltly stoopid have a couple ska songs. that would be goodfor insp.
Last edited by subliminalmind at Mar 3, 2009,
Look up The Specials, most people here just know the most popular 3rd wave ska bands, save a few that listed desmond dekker, but The Specials touches both of the genre's with alot of walking basslines that are both fast and slow.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Less Than Jake
Goldfinger
Reel Big Fish
Specials
Streetlight Manifesto
Catch 22
Big D and the Kids Table
Forces of Evil
Drexel
Jeffries Fan Club
Mighty Mighty Boss Tones
Mustard Plug
Sublime
Suburban Legends
Suburban Rhythym
Voodo Glow Skulls
Skatalites
Suicide Machines

^ theres a few from the good ole' ipod.

I would also consider listening to punk, big band, jazz, reggae.
listen to:
Reel Big Fish
Streetlight Manisfesto
Big D and the kids Table
Sublime
Bob Marley(he's really a reggae artist but very good)
Less than Jake
Some NOFX