I am going into Guitar Center tomorrow and I want to get a couple new pick ups for my Schecter C-1. I was thinking Seymour Duncans of some sort. What would you suggest? I play through Marshall amps.

edit: I play rock and metal. Anything from A7X to Dream Theater to AC/DC.
Last edited by \m/NikkiRyan\m/ at Feb 26, 2009,
i'm assuming you play metal then. get a JB and a 59, or a hot rodded set, which is a JB and a jazz. Does the guitar come stock with EMG's. why do people have beef with EMG's theyre awesome pickups actually.. I had a JB and it was alright but i bought a d activator x from dimarzio. it's similar in tone but i like it much better. better clean tone and more bass and treble and good sounding mids. youy should look into that too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
JB and Jazz usually makes a great combination in the C-1. It's an extremely versatile pairing also.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
what tunings do you use and what Marshall amp?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
What c-1 do you have? A cheaper one? A lot of the higher up c-1's actually have great pickups stock. I know mine had super rock 2's and those things were awesome. Preferred them over the dimarzios I have and emg's. But if you need new ones and play metal I'd get a dimarzio x2n. It doesn't cost much and sounds great. Slays an 81 too.
The guitar came stock with Duncan Designed active humbuckers, and I wanna get the real deal in.

Which position would I put either the Jazz or JB in?

Tunings, standard and drop D usually. I sometimes go into drop C, and the occasional weird tuning I don't know the name of (DADAAD). The amp I use is an MG100 right now (I know, crappy amp). I'm working on upgrading to either a Mesa Triple Rectifier, or a JVM series Marshall.
Quote by hcsn2008
What c-1 do you have? A cheaper one? A lot of the higher up c-1's actually have great pickups stock. I know mine had super rock 2's and those things were awesome. Preferred them over the dimarzios I have and emg's. But if you need new ones and play metal I'd get a dimarzio x2n. It doesn't cost much and sounds great. Slays an 81 too.

I have axes with both the EMG 81 and the X2N in the bridge, I wouldn't say the X2N "slays" the EMG 81. It's way more versatile, yes! But the 81 delivers a bit more power, the X2N delivers more punch! Try them both and decide for yourself what you like!
Quote by \m/NikkiRyan\m/
The guitar came stock with Duncan Designed active humbuckers, and I wanna get the real deal in.

Which position would I put either the Jazz or JB in?

Tunings, standard and drop D usually. I sometimes go into drop C, and the occasional weird tuning I don't know the name of (DADAAD). The amp I use is an MG100 right now (I know, crappy amp). I'm working on upgrading to either a Mesa Triple Rectifier, or a JVM series Marshall.

If you are using drop tunings, I recommend a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck for complete harmony...
First off though.... Lose the Marshall MG! The foundation of you're tone is the amp, and that amp is (no offense personally) CRAP! Look into, Black Heart, Carvin, Krank, Vader, I know Marshall is the "pedigree" but any amp they make that costs les than $1000.00, is pretty much crap... I've owned an ATV50.... total piece of crap!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by hcsn2008

they do not 'slay' 81's. i think the 81 'slays' the x2n. and i think the d activator x has a better tone than the x2n. 81 i think is one of the best metal pickups. you can 18v mod it if you want to. i love that compressed unnatural in your face distortion. just hits you in the gut. but they suck in versatility. i guess x2n is better in the versatility department. or if you just hate actives for some reason..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
they do not 'slay' 81's. i think the 81 'slays' the x2n. and i think the d activator x has a better tone than the x2n. 81 i think is one of the best metal pickups. you can 18v mod it if you want to. i love that compressed unnatural in your face distortion. just hits you in the gut. but they suck in versatility. i guess x2n is better in the versatility department. or if you just hate actives for some reason..

I am so with you man! I have two axes with EMG's with the 18v mod, and yeah.. they sound tight... but my strat and my Les Paul sound wwwwaaayyyyy more natural, and indescribably more beautiful!
If you are using drop tunings, I recommend a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge, and a PAF Pro in the neck for complete harmony...
First off though.... Lose the Marshall MG! The foundation of you're tone is the amp, and that amp is (no offense personally) CRAP! Look into, Black Heart, Carvin, Krank, Vader, I know Marshall is the "pedigree" but any amp they make that costs les than $1000.00, is pretty much crap... I've owned an ATV50.... total piece of crap!

Trust me, I know the amp is crap. I just can't afford a good one right now. The Mesa Triple Rect. is my favorite I've tried though, so I'll be looking at that once I get the 2 grand for it. But, I figured the pick ups were among the quickest ways to improve the tone til that day comes.

Also, I've always wondered what the difference in tone is between an active and passive pick up?
Quote by ValoRhoads
I have axes with both the EMG 81 and the X2N in the bridge, I wouldn't say the X2N "slays" the EMG 81. It's way more versatile, yes! But the 81 delivers a bit more power, the X2N delivers more punch! Try them both and decide for yourself what you like!

what the...?
am i the only one who was confused by this post?
also, i personally think the d activators/x and the x2n are better, they flow a lot more than actives imo and are INFINITELY more versatile
my 2 cents
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I disagree totally. The 81 isn't even close to the x2n. But then again I am in the process of taking all the actives out of my guitars. Because I can't hardly play them due to loving the passives in my other ones. It just takes away from my sound so much. Nowhere near the low end no organic harmonics. It all sounds sterile.

I'm not a huge lamb of god fan but that's one thing I agree with them on. Theres a video where they talk about pickups in their guitars and they explain why they will not use emg's. It takes away from their sound.

I stand by the x2n slays the 81. But then again... so do the stock super rock 2 pickups. The d sonic also is really well. Theres a ton of options out there. I think most people who dig emg's have never got ahold of a good passive. When I first started using actives I upgraded crappy passives to actives and it sounded amazing but then I got ahold of some good passives and I can't go back. I can't wait to get the emg's out of my other guitars.
Quote by hcsn2008
I disagree totally. The 81 isn't even close to the x2n. But then again I am in the process of taking all the actives out of my guitars. Because I can't hardly play them due to loving the passives in my other ones. It just takes away from my sound so much. Nowhere near the low end no organic harmonics. It all sounds sterile.

I'm not a huge lamb of god fan but that's one thing I agree with them on. Theres a video where they talk about pickups in their guitars and they explain why they will not use emg's. It takes away from their sound.

I stand by the x2n slays the 81. But then again... so do the stock super rock 2 pickups. The d sonic also is really well. Theres a ton of options out there. I think most people who dig emg's have never got ahold of a good passive. When I first started using actives I upgraded crappy passives to actives and it sounded amazing but then I got ahold of some good passives and I can't go back. I can't wait to get the emg's out of my other guitars.

me too, and i play metal. it is just my preference. natural harmonics and natural sounding distortion... no batteries. i basicaly love my dimarzios
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
me too, and i play metal. it is just my preference. natural harmonics and natural sounding distortion... no batteries. i basicaly love my dimarzios

Yeah thats the thing... good passives actually sound way more metal than actives. But people have it backwards. They are so popular because all the kids see it and like I said most people upgrade from crappy stock passives to actives and they are amazed by them and stick with them for life. But if they just heard some really good passives you'd see less people using them. I mean you don't get the feel and tone of your wood. Why have a neck thru mahogany body guitar if you don't want to get the full tonal aspect of the wood? I mean yes emg's do rely on the wood a little but not like the passives. The wood matters much more with them.
^exactly. i have a xiphos (neckthrough mahogony ftw) and i tried to put in a sd blackout in there. compared to my x2n and d activators, it sounded harsh and choppy, didnt flow at all,l and had extremely sour harmonics.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
^I agree. Actives have their uses but they still can't beat a good passive. My guitar only has the Duncan-Designed pups and I still prefer them over an active. TS, I know I posted before but one I still think the JB and Jazz or JB and '59 would be your best options. As for where to put them, JB goes in the bridge and Jazz or '59 goes in the neck.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive