I'm looking for a new amp, and I'm not sure about what kind to get. I'm looking at a Marshall or a Line 6 Spider. Are these any good? (not sure if you need to know this, but I currently play a Les Paul Custom and I mostly play hard rock)
Spiders are always NOT a good choice unless you absolutely cannot afford anything else. I wouldn't go for a Marshall MG either. They're notoriously awful.

If you're looking budget practice amps, I've heard good things about the Peavey Vypyr. Roland Cubes are good for home use as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I've heard a few people say Spiders aren't good, but why aren't they?

I'll be using it for practice, and also for gigs. I'd prefer not to spend over $200.
$200 for a gigging amp?

good luck, brah.

you have a better chance of finding a '59 les paul under your dad's friend's bed.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by dylandtl
$200 for a gigging amp?

good luck, brah.

you have a better chance of finding a '59 les paul under your dad's friend's bed.

/truth.

Spiders are awful becuase they're complete computer amps with sterile digital tone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Well for 200$, I would recommend a Vox VT15, but that's nto good enough for gigging. Maybe if you mic it up, but I wouldn't gig with it, seeing as I only use my AD30VT as practice amp.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Feb 27, 2009,
$200 for a decent gigging amp? Maybe the used market might have something,but I highly doubt you'll be able to find what you want for that price.Save up some more money and go for a cheaper used tube combo like a valveking,crate,blackheart,blackstar,or fender.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I forgot to mention that I would be micing the amp for gigs. I'll check out some of the ones you guys suggested.
Spiders and MG's are at the bottom of the pile basically. Spider does sound thin and digital and the MG is .. I don't even know what to call it. i thought there was something wrong with the amp the first time I heard one. When they said thats how it's suppose to sound i ran the other way. With just $200 you may want to see if you ccan pickup something used. I've got a Vox DA 20 that I like pretty well. But I think it goes for $250 new. If you can stretch your budget $30 to $50 you'll have better options.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Yeah man, work some extra shifts and save up like 500 bucks and you can start looking at good used amps for gigging. You will not be happy long with a 200 dollar amp for gigging.