i ordered "The Book" (melvyn blah blah) but it wont be here for awhile. im doing a prs with a hipshot bridge. carved top. no neck angle. do i need a headstock angle? im confused on when you do and dont
the angle usually determines how well a guitar keeps in tune i think. (confirmation pls?) but ideally you should. but if the angle is too extreme it puts too much tension on the neck and risks warping.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
headstock angle keeps good string tension. fenders don't have an angled headstock, they just use string trees. so you can do whatever you like. i believe angled headstocks give more even string tension
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
you dont need a neck angle. you may need a string tree behind the nut of the guitar to prevent buzz though, angled headstocks are mostly to keep from having to have a string tree on a headstock that wouldn't look so great with one.. btw, the hipshot bridges are pretty bad ass, i recommend their locking keys too!
You need an angle on a head stock if the string enters the tuner near to, or above the plane of the nut, e.g. if you had a flat headstock tuner post would be above the nut and the string would not create a large enough angle over the nut to keep it place.

On fenders they have string trees to get the string below the nut before it goes to the tuner post, or you can use a retainer bar, both of which create friction that isnt good for tuning stability.

Angling back the headstock means you dont need string trees or a retainer bar, less friction better tuning stability.

Although if the angle is too steep it creats to much of an angle and could wear out the nut if you bend alot etc

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I think headstock angle has nothing to do with string tension. Tension is related to string gauge, scale length and pitch.

Its angled to keep the tuners behind the nut so that the strings sit over the nut. So the minimum angle is given by the distance from the nut to the closest (6th string) tuner and the height difference between the nut and the hole of the tuner.
Last edited by bazuriya at Feb 27, 2009,
well thanks to everyone. just wanted to clarify that because i changed the bridge on my plans and dropped the neck angle, that i still needed the headstock angle. 14 degrees sounds right correct?
Anything between about 10 and 16 is good, although there is no rule.

You should draw it out and work out what the minimum angle you need is though.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Anything between about 10 and 16 is good, although there is no rule.

You should draw it out and work out what the minimum angle you need is though.

sorry that im a luthier noob but how would i work out what the minimum would be? hiscocks book wont be in for a week or more lol. i have the plans from online
trigonometry, friend. essentially, use the triangle created by the nut/bridge/string combo to figure out how much of a neck angle you need.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
trigonometry, friend. essentially, use the triangle created by the nut/bridge/string combo to figure out how much of a neck angle you need.

lol. wut? ok i dont even know what size nut to get. gonna get pre slotted so i dont have to buy files and stuff
nut size should be the same as the neck size at the nut.

trigonometry is the use of angle relations and ratios to figure out dimensions.

Generally speaking, set-neck guitars need anywhere from 0-4 degrees at the neck joint, and 10-15 at the headstock.

I'll do a diagram in a bit if you provide specs for me:
scale length
Nut Height @ breaking point
Bridge height @ breaking point
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
nut size should be the same as the neck size at the nut.

trigonometry is the use of angle relations and ratios to figure out dimensions.

Generally speaking, set-neck guitars need anywhere from 0-4 degrees at the neck joint, and 10-15 at the headstock.

I'll do a diagram in a bit if you provide specs for me:
scale length
Nut Height @ breaking point
Bridge height @ breaking point

25" scale length
im out of town so i dont have the plans with me so damn, or else i would tell you. if they are on the plans i will let you know once i see them again, on monday. thanks for the help brah
You def want to angle your head on a PRS style set neck!

You could raise your neck so the fretboard is level with the bridge if you don't want to do a neck angle. Just another way of getting the job done.

Nice avatar XD KVLT!
Quote by thegrungyhippie
You def want to angle your head on a PRS style set neck!

You could raise your neck so the fretboard is level with the bridge if you don't want to do a neck angle. Just another way of getting the job done.

Nice avatar XD KVLT!

sweet, thanks again man.
Quote by deftonesordie

We are talking about HEADSTOCK angle, not NECK angle

To work out the minimum headstock angle look at the diagram I just made

You draw a horizontal line that represents the neck (blue)

Draw the nut on (including the thickness of the fretboard), and the string as another horizontal line over the nut (red)

Draw the height of the tuner post on and you have the minimum angle.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 28, 2009,