okay well i have been playing for 1 1/2 years or something. i know a little bit about music theory here and there. i can sweep pick very basic patterns, same with alternate picking.

anyway, i have 2 major goals:
1. Be able to make good riffs for songs on the guitar. (i dont have a band yet, but i'm getting prepared.)
2. I want to be able to learn some more harder songs like megadeth and slayer, i try not to overload myself but i want to be able to learn songs more efficiently.
just listen to songs and try to learn them by ear.
you create something of your own by failing to recreate something else.
R.I.P DIMEBAG.
Quote by metalmagic!
just listen to songs and try to learn them by ear.
you create something of your own by failing to recreate something else.

do that then read some tabs to see what the bands, that you like, do in their songs.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
just learn a bunch of songs, and keep learning and remembering songs. i'd deff. suggest tabs, because you can learn a lot faster and you learn how songs actually go. eventually you'll start making your own sounds up in your head and stumbling onto your own riffs though doodling.
I still suggest spending some time figuring out something by ear for a while before you learn the song.

learning tabs is not enough and training your ears is very beneficial in the long run
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
You need to try to train your ear, and to write your own stuff. Even if it sounds crappy at first. Learning other peoples songs is only going to leave you with the abilty to play a bunch of songs. Thats it. No creativity, or mastery of technique. Just the minimal amount needed to play those songs.

So write write write! And have fun with it!
thanks guys, i have troubles keeping in rhythm with basic things i dont know why it happens but it annoys me...

i cant even follow a metronome after repeating the pattern like 5 times