hi,

heres my current setup. Ibanez MTM1 > Boss MetalCore > Randall RH150G3+. i was wondering a couple of things.

1) i really like the boss metal core, but i want to get a different sound from it, up the mids if possible, so i was wondering, would it be possible and or sound good if i ran an EQ Pedal after it to up the mids.

and 2) could i run my Zoom G2.1u as just an EQ pedal

thanks
you've got a decent setup. the metal core is really not a good pedal.

but, to answer your questions...no, it wouldn't quite work that well.
and no. it would color your tone immensely.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
thanks,
i dont really see why hates the metalcore so much, all metal pedals with the name "metal" in it are pretty much all on Par really.
i just got the metalcore yesterday lol, seems pretty good, i was considering an OD pedal but there pretty expensive and dont get that heavy mainly aimed at rock arent they? such as a tonebone radial for example
Well they are usually used to boost a signal and also to tighten up the amp a little bit.

Is your amp a tube or ss?

Im not bashing the metalcore, i have heard that it is actually really good.
OD pedals are aimed at rock, blues, anything with light to moderate (not br00talz) overdrive, clean boost and to tighten up tube amp overdrive/distortion. Amazingly versatile pedals. Just depends how you use them.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Eh, I think a disto is where it's at for you, but something like a digitech hardwire metal disto would be better.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Also I thought Randalls had great distortion anyway? well the ones I heard. Do you not like your amp's dirty channel?
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

the randall is ss, no? i would say that the hardwire pedal is pretty good for a ss.... but im not sure
edit: sh*t theo beat me to it again
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Last edited by Holy-Diver at Feb 27, 2009,
well, its "valve dynamic" its a 12AT7 Preamp Tube for the power amp. i dont really get it tbh, but anyway, i was lookign at the hardwire pedals and all the shops around me dont sell digitech at all so i dunno if that means there a bit dodge or what.

i had a metal muff, and i really didnt like it.
oh and yeah the gains alright on my amp, but not for what i play. its really good if u turn down the gain for a good rock sound but if u crank the gain its SO muddy and i dont like that really
nah man the Digitech hardwire series are some of the very best pedals I've ever heard. You could order online.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

yeah they sounded good from what i heard, but i cant order online coz 1) the shop where i got it is over a 2 hour drive and my dads gettin sick of drivin me theree lol and theyll only give me a credit or exhange at best
Quote by jamesy_pwd
so all in all putting an EQ pedal in isnt a good idea?

It would work fine.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Honestly, I would just buy a rack EQ because there really is no point to having an EQ pedal if you don't need to turn it on/off in the middle of playing a song. A rack EQ would be more tweakable and you get higher quality to price ratio. In fact, most decent rack EQs would run you no more than the MXR 10 band.
Something like this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-GEQ-131-Single-31Band-EQ?sku=183702

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
jesus christ lol. i struggle EQing a 3 band eq let alone a 31 band lol. i need something a bit.. simpler. and a bit.. cheaper lol :\
A 31 band EQ is no harder to use than a 3 band EQ. I don't understand what is so hard about it. You can imagine the bands in 3 "groups" if you like. If you're not going to spend 80 bucks (which is piss cheap by pedal standards), you definetly won't get anything half-decent in pedal form.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

yeah true. would it still give me a good metal sound. or like someone else said would it "colour" my tone too much? coz i quite like the current tone, except maybe add some mids and tweak bass and trab a bit more
Jeebus christ. What is it with people and "the metal sound". There is no metal sound ffs - any kind of tone can be used in metal.
Sound colouration is NOT a bad thing, but it will depend on the exact EQ that you get. I wouldn't worry about colouration with your rig tbh.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

what i meant by the "metal sound" i meant like sorta the sound of the pedal but just with a bit of extra tweakedness
Extra tweakdness!
Seriously though, both work on the same principle (unless you get into linear-phase EQs and what not, but that doesn't really matter) so they do the exact same thing just in a different box.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

No problemo.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣