So my MXL 990/991 and Audio Buddy set just arrived today. But having not researched everything, I can't get recording right away. I found out I need all sorts of 1/4 cables or whatever.. well first question, can i use my electric guitar cords for all the 1/4" TS connector and TRS connector? or are they all different?
I also found out I need a sound card, or an audio interface.. But i also know computers have stock sound cards, which leads me to thinking: how do I check the sound card I have on my computer if it's good or not? because i know MOST stock sound card are craps, but mine might be OKAY because I think it's a pretty decent computer..

And another method in question.. basically if I COULD record with only the stuff i have, would it work if I got a 1/4"TSR connector(or guitar cord if it works, that) into an adapter for a 1/4 to 1/8, then into the mic in on the computer. And connect my guitar or mics in the mic in and the input. (for sound quality issue, please look at bottom paragraph before reply)

I'm gonna doing some vocals/acoustic and electric recordings for Youtube and I really don't need that "perfect" tone that sounds like live. As long as it sounds OK and doesn't sound like a mic from a digital camera I think it's fine.
(so whatever else method you might know, please tell )

EDIT: i just found out my sound card is realtek high definition. Is that good enough to record on?
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Last edited by 1337guitarplayr at Feb 27, 2009,
Well, you could just send back that Audio Buddy and get an interface since they come with preamps already, and you wont need to lose quality by using your comupter soundcard (which wont give you great results by the way).

I'm not sure how much you paid for your Audio Buddy but i'm sure you can get a basic interface for around the same price. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH PHANTOM POWER!

I wouldn't connect it to your stock sound card because it just kinda defeats the purpose of buying a mic, you might as well have used a cheap computer mic or even a webcam mic. The results wont be all that different because you are plugging them into something that wasn't designed for audio recording.

Edit, if you really want to record right now then go for it, just don't expect great results.
Oh.. well i got the mics and audio buddy as a set for $130, so I'm gonna keep the audio buddy but i guess i do need an interface..

Well now that I plan to get an interface, would I be able to use Audio Buddy with the interface I get? because i heard AB gives good quality and whatever, so now I'm planning to use it with whatever interface i get. Also would I still need phantom power because i'll be connecting the mics into the audiobuddy which then goes in the interface.

I'm not sure if all this is right cus i'm very new at recording/gear etc.
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
You can use the audio buddy if the interface you use has line in inputs. The audio Buddy is already the preamp so all you need is the signal converted. So if you were to get an interface that has say 2 line in inputs and 2 mic inputs then you will plug the audio buddy into the line ins and wholllaaa you have 4 mic inputs.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
After record companies switched to the new electric microphone recording
technology in the second ... You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. ...
Aleksander Kolkowski · The Cheap Suit Serenaders (Jazz Band); Flowers of Romance
(album) ...