Of time that I can play my guitar. Due to some really bad...stuff. And i will leave at that.

I've been playing a bout a year and a half, I know three scales a few modes, and so on. What do I play for that many hours? Obviously I'm gonna practice, but all those hours are gonna be spent practicing a song or just down right practicing...

The point of this thread is to give me ideas of what I should do with my hours of guitar time. Basically, you're put on an island with a guitar, an amp, and a generator to power the amp. What do you practice?(For the sake of it, say they gave you like...a lot of literature on different guitar stuff) Do you work on trying to shred or do you look up your favorite songs and learn each one by heart?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
learn music theory by practicing it on your guitar. knowledge is power
It's not your time, it's what you do with it.

First tell yourself what you hope to accomplish, and then come back and tell me
Quote by Orbit91
It's not your time, it's what you do with it.

First tell yourself what you hope to accomplish, and then come back and tell me

If i sound rude, I apologize, but...

I wish to accomplish being one of the best ****ing guitarist I can possibly be.
Quote by SGlover69
If i sound rude, I apologize, but...

I wish to accomplish being one of the best ****ing guitarist I can possibly be.

Well, what do you think will help you with that?

Stuff like Alternate Picking, and Legato?

What kind of styles do you hope to play now and in the future ?
Quote by jmako
learn music theory by practicing it on your guitar. knowledge is power

How far will music theory get me? I mean this is a definite as to one of the things I'm gonna learn, but what does it do exactly for my playing ability?
Quote by Orbit91
Well, what do you think will help you with that?

Stuff like Alternate Picking, and Legato?

What kind of styles do you hope to play now and in the future ?

OH! Gosh, Sorry xD I thought you meant "what do you wanna do?"

The styles I wanna play is stuff all the way up to Led Zeppelin To Metallica, All the way down to just some simple ACDC. Maybe even a bit of megadeth. I want to be able to shred atleast a little bit, and I want to be able to big up a guitar, and slam a solo out of it. I'm sick of being up a guitar and just playing the same songs over and over, I wanna improv. a solo and actually have it sound GOOD. Not like I'm just hitting random notes and have no idea what I'm doing. I know what Alt. Picking is by the way, I can do that stuff.
Quote by SGlover69

The styles I wanna play is stuff all the way up to Led Zeppelin To Metallica, All the way down to just some simple ACDC. Maybe even a bit of megadeth. I want to be able to shred atleast a little bit, and I want to be able to big up a guitar, and slam a solo out of it. I'm sick of being up a guitar and just playing the same songs over and over, I wanna improv. a solo and actually have it sound GOOD. Not like I'm just hitting random notes and have no idea what I'm doing. I know what Alt. Picking is by the way, I can do that stuff.

Well, the best thing you can learn is real, gritty and brutal honesty while you're developing.

Look at your playing, and check every single little wasted bit of motion and iron it, but I'm just flogging a dead horse here.

I've got a couple of books by Guthrie in E-Book format (Which I own) if you want me to send them, they'll explain stuff FAR better than I can, and they'll make you look at your playing like never before.

Especially Creative Guitar Vol 1, it'll give you the basics of Theory, and the basics of playing.

It also helps to write down a schedule of what you're doing, because believe it or not, there's such a thing as detrimental practice, so for example.....

45 minutes warmup

1 hours alternate picking.
1 hours legato.
1 hours of chords.

etc.

Anyways, PM me if you want the books, I think they'll really help
Dude, you're doing me a big favor. I'll PM you about it, I was just about to post a "Where can i get some good books on Musical Theory" but that would save me a load of time man, so these books do what? They break down the theory and as I learn it, should I take notes and stuff to sort of keep me into it?(what i had in mind)

Also..."Guitars suck" that tapping in the middle *clicked somewhere random in it* is amazing.

Edit: PM'd.
Last edited by SGlover69 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by SGlover69
Dude, you're doing me a big favor. I'll PM you about it, I was just about to post a "Where can i get some good books on Musical Theory" but that would save me a load of time man, so these books do what? They break down the theory and as I learn it, should I take notes and stuff to sort of keep me into it?(what i had in mind)

Also..."Guitars suck" that tapping in the middle *clicked somewhere random in it* is amazing.

Yup, Bumblefoot is an incredible player
Quote by SGlover69

Looks like you already know what to do. Just add "Practice" to that and you're all set.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by SGlover69

So warm up, practice some scales/chords, learn some led zep/metallica/acdc/megadeth, work on a technique for a while, then pick a key, stick on a jam track and practice improvising over it (using one of those scales you practiced earlier). Easy
Quote by SGlover69
Um...Duuuuuuuude?

Did you go to sleep or something?

The files are on my computer, I'm at College at the moment, give me like 13-16 hours and then I'll upload the first book, plus the second one as a bonus for my lateness
Quote by fallenangel003
All of you understand nothing in this point in question. Here where

force

*reported for spam*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SGlover69
How far will music theory get me? I mean this is a definite as to one of the things I'm gonna learn, but what does it do exactly for my playing ability?

It is the difference between being able to play the guitar or being a guitar player. Big difference.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
Quote by Orbit91

I've got a couple of books by Guthrie in E-Book format (Which I own) if you want me to send them, they'll explain stuff FAR better than I can, and they'll make you look at your playing like never before.

Especially Creative Guitar Vol 1, it'll give you the basics of Theory, and the basics of playing.

It also helps to write down a schedule of what you're doing, because believe it or not, there's such a thing as detrimental practice, so for example.....

45 minutes warmup

1 hours alternate picking.
1 hours legato.
1 hours of chords.

etc.

Anyways, PM me if you want the books, I think they'll really help

I would also love to get that book. I will PM you.
You should 'get' some guitar lesson videos for some good exercises to practice (eg Rock Discipline by John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai) - they'll keep you occupied for ages.
Do what you please
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station