i thought of an exercise that goes from drop d to the highest d. its in a phrygian dominant scale but missing the 2nd and the 6th(same notes as the minor pentatonic). what do i call this scale? phyrgian dominant pentatonic?
sure, just call it that and be an ass when someone corrects you
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by no_thing101
i thought of an exercise that goes from drop d to the highest d. its in a phrygian dominant scale but missing the 2nd and the 6th(same notes as the minor pentatonic). what do i call this scale? phyrgian dominant pentatonic?

I think the most correct name would probably be Dominant Pentatonic as it's basically a minor pentatonic with a major third.

You wouldn't call it the phrygian anything because it lacks the key note that makes the phrygian sound i.e. the minor second.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 1, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think the most correct name would probably be Dominant Pentatonic as it's basically a minor pentatonic with a major third.

You wouldn't call it the phrygian anything because it lacks the key note that makes the phrygian sound i.e. the minor second.

yeah i realised if you get a mixolydian (which is the dominant mode) and take out the same notes, it makes the same scale.
yeah id just say its mixolydian but with some notes taken out? doesnt have to be a scale just a note patern
Quote by metallucas
doesnt have to be a scale just a note patern

What is a scale if not a pattern of notes? Either way, once you know the namiong conventions you can relatively easily name just about anything in music. After all, that's what theory is really for; talking about what you have played after the fact.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.