I posted this topic a while back.

Is it safe to change your tunings around once in a while if your guitar has a floyd rose?
Some guys at guitar center told me you MUST adjust it if you change tunings or it will mess up your guitar.
I went down a half step from standard a while ago even after they said not to and I just adjusted the bridge so it would go back to lay even with the body. No problems there. Now I want to go back up to standard again (maybe). Is it okay if I just adjust it like I said?
Just adjust the springs in the back and you're all good. Might need intonation, aswell
AFAIK you can tune it however you like but you have to adjust the bridge to match the body. (by messing with the springs in the back of your guitar)
Last edited by jonne.i at Feb 27, 2009,
Your bridge just wont be leveled. String tension has to equal spring tension for the bridge to float leveled to the body, thats why you adjust the claw in the back. You shouldn't need intonation adjustments if you're going down half a step. If you're going to change tunings a lot I'd recommend something like a trem-stop or Tremel-No so you don't end up wearing out the wood around the claw screws over time and then have those screws possibly pop out. Just a thought, won't happen over night though.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I was also looking at getting a FR guitar (narrowed it down to ESP Ltd MH-100QM, Ibanez S320 and Schecter Omen 6 Extreme) so I may as well ask my question here rather than starting a new thread.

What I wanted to do was to put some .010 - .052’s on her and set her up for drop tuning.

I was wondering if I would be able to tuner her to Drop C# and use the fine tuners to tune up and down a semi tone either way to play in both Drop D and Drop C?

Is there enough play in the fine tuners to do this?

Will the FR bridge be stable enough to be able to handle this semi-tone either way sort of adjustment without needing to have the springs adjusted or be reset-up each time I switched?
Quote by Jaksar
I was also looking at getting a FR guitar (narrowed it down to ESP Ltd MH-100QM, Ibanez S320 and Schecter Omen 6 Extreme) so I may as well ask my question here rather than starting a new thread.

What I wanted to do was to put some .010 - .052’s on her and set her up for drop tuning.

I was wondering if I would be able to tuner her to Drop C# and use the fine tuners to tune up and down a semi tone either way to play in both Drop D and Drop C?

Is there enough play in the fine tuners to do this?

Will the FR bridge be stable enough to be able to handle this semi-tone either way sort of adjustment without needing to have the springs adjusted or be reset-up each time I switched?

1) I'd rule out the omen, as it has the sketchiest trem of the 3. Get the ibanez if you prefer a thinner, flatter neck. ESP/LTDs seem to have a thin (not quite as thin as ibanez, though) and slightly rounder neck.

2/3) You would have to set the tuners to be able to go far enough. Setting them to go from drop C# to drop C OR drop D, maybe, but i doubt you could do both. Also, the ZPS in the ibanez will help if you want to change tunings as it keeps the trem stable, even under conditions of extreme change of string tension (i.e. breaking a string).
You can do it just make sure you adjust in between changes and try not to do it too much because as said you may wear out the wood in the back if you do. You may also wear out the screws and strip them if yours were brass like mine were, I replaced them with some steel ones and they work much better now.

The problems I would see you having with not leveling it out is that I believe it would screw it up if you used the trem when its unlevel and doesnt having the trem slanted screw up your tuning stability? I could be wrong here.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor