hey,

I know i've been posting a lot of threads lately so ill try make this one my last.
I've decided im going to get a marshall head, and most likely the JCM800. My band plays blink 182 and sum 41, angels and airwaves, and other ****ty pop rock stuff. our own stuff is kinda alternative darkish kinda stuff if you get what i mean.

the thing was wondering was i've heard the JCM800 is killer for tone, and the JVM series amps have less of the marshall tone and more gain.

What do people think is better for the style of music i play?

i also play classic rock and stuff in my spare time but in terms of the use of this amp it would be more for the stuff i mentioned above.

thanks
YOU need to go and try it out yourself. Reviews and opinions only go so far.
I've heard bad 800's, so don't bass everything off opinion. And try out some other amps too, don't just live for Marshall.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
YOU need to go and try it out yourself. Reviews and opinions only go so far.
I've heard bad 800's, so don't bass everything off opinion. And try out some other amps too, don't just live for Marshall.

yeah true that, i am a bit of a lazy ****. the marshalls look pretty epic though lol. i wouldnt mind an orange but i cant try them out cos there's none for 400 kilometres. i pretty much have a choice of trying vox valvetronix, marshalls, randalls, mesa's and peaveys.
Tone, as always, is subjective, but here's my 2 cents..

The JCM 800 IS the classic Marshall sound. It's great for everything from classic rock to some types of metal (excels at 80's tones). It's also a popular amp for modding. It's more vintage voiced than the JVM, so you will get a more old school tone out of it. One of the drawbacks to the 800 though, is the fact that you have to crank the volume to 11 to get that awesome tone, but damn, what a tone it is. Also, most of them are single channel, but you could score one of the more rare 2-channel versions if you look hard. You will also probably want a tube-screamer style overdrive pedal for it if more gain is desired.

The JVM is much more modern voiced and versatile, offering you multiple channels, and everything from a good clean to searing high gain and everything in between. It's not the same as a JCM 800, but that's not to say it's better or worse, it's just different. Between these two amps, this one would probably be the more practical option, but you should try both to see which one you like more.

Since you said you have the chance to go check out Mesa's and Peavey's, also look into a Mesa Recto, F-series or Mark series (used), or a Peavey XXX. Pretty much any of those amps can do those styles, just let your ears decide on which one is for you.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Tone, as always, is subjective, but here's my 2 cents..

The JCM 800 IS the classic Marshall sound. It's great for everything from classic rock to some types of metal (excels at 80's tones). It's also a popular amp for modding. It's more vintage voiced than the JVM, so you will get a more old school tone out of it. One of the drawbacks to the 800 though, is the fact that you have to crank the volume to 11 to get that awesome tone, but damn, what a tone it is. Also, most of them are single channel, but you could score one of the more rare 2-channel versions if you look hard. You will also probably want a tube-screamer style overdrive pedal for it if more gain is desired.

The JVM is much more modern voiced and versatile, offering you multiple channels, and everything from a good clean to searing high gain and everything in between. It's not the same as a JCM 800, but that's not to say it's better or worse, it's just different. Between these two amps, this one would probably be the more practical option, but you should try both to see which one you like more.

Since you said you have the chance to go check out Mesa's and Peavey's, also look into a Mesa Recto, F-series or Mark series (used), or a Peavey XXX. Pretty much any of those amps can do those styles, just let your ears decide on which one is for you.

thanks dude, helped a bunch. i now have more motivation to go out and check them out for myself. thanks dude.
jcm800 has amazing crunchy mid gain od, very good distortion and ok cleans.
costs under 1000$

jvm has very good mid gain od, pretty good distortion and very good cleans (jtm45ish or fenderish).
costs over 100$

thats all in my humble opinion...i own a jmp1 preamp which has the cleans of a jtm45 (on clean 2) and has one channel imitating the jcm800 (od1) and another imitating the searing jcm900 (od 2) so i guess i got the best of both worlds.... i m sure you can find one paired with a good el34 poweramp for around 1000ish $ but then you d have to buy a cab
Dave Baksh always used a DSL50, IMHO the best modern Marshall. I'm not a fan of the JVM myself. Opinions are pretty mixed about it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)