hey my friend just gave me his guitar, he doesnt want it any more and was going throw it out but i thought it was too nice to throw out so i figured theres not harm in learning to play it a bit. anyways i want to right my own stuff too, so could anyone here help me out and tell me what i need to do to play like the guy from soad? i love the way he plays and want to know how he does it. thanks a ton
As someone who only recently really started paying attention to the band, my insights aren't going to be quite as good as a lifelong fan, but I can tell you a LOT of alternative picking is used in all of their songs, so work on getting good with that. Most of the rest I can think of that really make them unique has more to do with the feel of the song, so what can I say? Learn scales, a little on the modes, palm muting, alternate picking, and most importantly just jam along with songs to get used to the feel of it.
"Be as radical as reality."
- V.I. Lenin
learn basic chords and look up soad tabs, also practice alot and start slow. You can find everything you need here on UG.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by Nevermind1299
years of practice

thanks that helps a ton man, seriously i know that im not a bloody retard i want to know all the technical stuff and the rules he uses because i know there are a few he goes by in particular i just dont know what they are havnt gotten any help from the internet yet
Last edited by bass-boy-garith at Feb 27, 2009,
thanks to the guys above for the info, are there any scales and chords that they use alot more than otheres?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
thanks that helps a ton man, seriously i know that im not a bloody retard i want to know all the technical stuff and the rules he uses because i know there are a few he goes by in particular i just dont know what they are havnt gotten any help from the internet yet

Any time bro
Quote by bass-boy-garith

You may not like the answer but its the truth.

You asked what you need to do to play like Daron Malakian and the most correct answer is years or practice. No amount of wisdom or information imparted by the wise folk on these forums is going to help you play like Daron with, you guessed it, years of practice.

Focus on learning the basics first. learn the open chords, practice alternate picking, learn a couple of simple scales.

You'll never run if you don't first learn to walk.

G'luck and have fun
Quote by Jaksar
You may not like the answer but its the truth.

You asked what you need to do to play like Daron Malakian and the most correct answer is years or practice. No amount of wisdom or information imparted by the wise folk on these forums is going to help you play like Daron with, you guessed it, years of practice.

Focus on learning the basics first. learn the open chords, practice alternate picking, learn a couple of simple scales.

You'll never run if you don't first learn to walk.

G'luck and have fun

yes that is something i wanted to know but what i meant the most is how do i learn to play a style LIKE his basically like what scales does he use and patterns and that kinda stuff my theory is lacking to say the best, and i do know it takes years of practice im not one of those guys who thinks that cus they roxers at GH they can become a demi god in days.