Have any of you guys ever had this problem?

I'm finding that since I've moved my half stack to a different location, with hard polished wood floors, it's incredibly boomy, which becomes super obvious when doing some home recording.

The castors are off. I've tried having the cab on a thick blanket, and also on a 2cm thick rubber floor protection mat. I've also moved it at least 1 metre (~3ft) away from all walls. It happens whether my lows are on 2 or 7.

Any ideas?
It is caused be resonance induced by your room size. Experiment with the direction in which your amp points.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I've pointed it both the length and the width of the room, and the problem persists, so perhaps I will try pointing it into one of the corners or something.
Point it off in weird directions. Not perpendicular to the walls.

A thick piece of styrofoam under the amp might help.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Im not sure who said they did this.. it may have been eddie van halen himself that said that he would put a layer of foam on the front of his cab. I forgot why he did it, but maybe it would help you.

edit:
http://www.evhgear.com/news/index.php?display_article=9
there
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Feb 27, 2009,
I ralize that this will sound stupid, but try pointing it at the ceiling. This can give really nice results - just put your head on a side table or something and lay the cab on its back.
EDIT: I just realized that your cab will have the cables coming out the back, so I guess that is a no.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Bass frequencies will resonate and be amplified by your floor so if you are finding that you have too much bass then try tipping it back so that the speaker faces your head. This will help the treble and mids travel better and might balance it out, otherwise you need to take it off the floor and put it on a stand.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I ralize that this will sound stupid, but try pointing it at the ceiling. This can give really nice results - just put your head on a side table or something and lay the cab on its back.

SRV used to do that at gigs sometimes because it gives warmer mids.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 27, 2009,
Might I also suggest to put the casters back on. Get it up off the floor and try to break the resonant bond you get by putting it right on the floor.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Might I also suggest to put the casters back on. Get it up off the floor and try to break the resonant bond you get by putting it right on the floor.
This will help.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
What about taking the backplate off? Don't know if it would work, but theoretically it should take away some "boomyness". Could be to much, tough.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
TS, where do you have the Resonance set to on your 6262?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
unscrew the back off the cab?

can you elevate the cab onto a table or something?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
When you are recording it, put a lot of pillows, blankets and other damening materials in front of the cab (behind the mic obviously) and underneath the cab, so that the sound is encased in that area and not reverbing off the walls etc. That's waht I find works best.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I will try a combination of all of these suggestions.

The 6262 doesn't have a resonance control either.
well this might sound stupid, but maybe its not the cab? (thinkin outside the box here)
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
I personally, as I said before, feel it is the room that the cab is in. Damping in front of and under the cab will more than likely work wonders

Try it out and let us know!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Putting the amp back on its castors seems to have had a positive effect, as well as angling the amp differently, and placing a few thin matresses in an arc in front of the amp.

And for me to have to do all that to see any improvement makes me think that the spare room is quite possibly the worst room ever built as far as low end goes :/