I was asked about this today and realised i have absolutely no clue and am now interested.

Shaving hair seems to make it grow back darker and thicker, i've heard this is just an illusion and is not actually fact, although then why is it when hair is clippered (with the thing a hair dresser use's to cut your hair to a certain length or number) it doesn't seem to come back any darker or thicker. Both are cutting the hair, just at different lengths (correct me if i am wrong)

Hair on the head seems to grow to any length, yet hair on the arms, chest, arm pits (heh), stomach, back, legs and ... privates seem to stop at a certain length, why is this (correct me if i am wrong)

Waxing makes hair come back thinner. In theory wouldn't this eventually make hair stop growing in the particular area getting waxed, due to the hair becomming so thin it just doesn't grow anymore (correct me if i am wrong)

I think i've covered most of it, i've just wondered since a mate asked me and it'd be good if i could tell him.

If you know how any of the above 3 queries (i guess you could call them) work, please quote them and explain underneath.

Cheers
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
i've had my hair cut a few times, But i can't say its thicker or anything...
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by oatley
1 Shaving hair seems to make it grow back darker and thicker....

2 Waxing makes hair come back thinner...

It's short hair- more noticable when it grows. Shaving cuts a hair in half at the skin, and it re-emerges looking thick in comparison to a shaven head.

Waxing pulls a hair out at the root. I'm not sure, but generally it just regenerates unless it is damaged. Hair doesn't come back thinner this way, it just comes back slower.
lol yeah its pretty wierd like that man.
hair gets thicker and darker when shaved because... i think i read this or heard this or somthing that i could be wrong about... it stimulates growth to shave. the hair on your head gets far longer than the rest of your hair because it grows faster than the rest of your hair and has less stress put on it (clothing, environmental friction), it grows and falls out, but it grows more than most hair before it falls out...
hope that wasnt too confusing
"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

—Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address
You know... I just saw something in the forums.

The hair thread.
I didn't knew it existed but it does.
Maybe they have some more answers there

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921176
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Hair grows from root to tip, thus when shaven, the thicker root now becomes the tip. Thats why if you pluck hair, it grows slower and thiner.
Quote by Gunpowder
I buy prostitutes.

And then physically abuse them. See, prostitutes aren't people, like you or me, so it's okay.
yeah i agree with the top 2 above

but can anyone explain why if ive got brown hair why the hell are my side burns orange now i dont dye my hair (or my burns) nor do i use products like anti pimple cream on my sideburns and weirder still the rest of my facial hair is brown if any one can tell me a reason i would like to know

must be the irish comeing out in me through my sideburns?????
IMA SOCIETY DWELLING MOTHER F*CKER

UGS representitive shroudy monk
Last edited by rockerjesus at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by oatley
I was asked about this today and realised i have absolutely no clue and am now interested.

Shaving hair seems to make it grow back darker and thicker, i've heard this is just an illusion and is not actually fact, although then why is it when hair is clippered (with the thing a hair dresser use's to cut your hair to a certain length or number) it doesn't seem to come back any darker or thicker. Both are cutting the hair, just at different lengths (correct me if i am wrong)
the reason it seems to come back thicker is because at the end the hair kinda tapers, but when shaved it just cuts the hair really short, and since it's cutting it near the base it's cutting the thicker part of the hair.

Quote by oatley
Hair on the head seems to grow to any length, yet hair on the arms, chest, arm pits (heh), stomach, back, legs and ... privates seem to stop at a certain length, why is this (correct me if i am wrong)
no idea about this, and I've wondered before.

Quote by oatley
Waxing makes hair come back thinner. In theory wouldn't this eventually make hair stop growing in the particular area getting waxed, due to the hair becomming so thin it just doesn't grow anymore (correct me if i am wrong)
well, waxing pulls the hair out at the root, whereas shaving merely cuts it right at, or a little below the skin (that causes ingrown hairs) since waxing pulls it out at the root it takes longer to grow back, and when it does it's a lot softer because it's tapered at the end as opposed to cut straight off. i guess people think it's thinner because it's not so rough

of course I'm not a scientist, so I may be wrong, but that's what I've figured out.
Before I shaved my legs, my hair was blonde. Then I shaved it and now it grows back black> :'( I don't know if it grows back thicker. Some parents shave their babies' heads right after they're born so that they'll have thicker hair.

When you wax, it pulls the entire hair out from the root, and it takes a few weeks to start coming back. When it does come back, it's no thicker or thinner than it was before. After a while, though it gradually stops growing back.

This is what happens to women who've waxed their eyebrows all their lives. Eventually, the hair doesn't come back and they have to draw the eyebrow on with a pencil.

A lady I know uses a purple pencil...
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by rockerjesus

but can anyone explain why if ive got brown hair why the hell are my side burns orange now i dont dye my hair (or my burns) nor do i use products like anti pimple cream on my sideburns and weirder still the rest of my facial hair is brown if any one can tell me a reason i would like to know

I think you're just a freak! An orange side-burned FREAK!
Quote by rockerjesus

idk, I'm kind like that too. I've got dark brown hair, and my goatee is so dark it's almost black, but when it starts getting a little too long I'll notice a few really red looking hairs. I can still see them when it's short, but I have to look harder. the only person with red hair in my family is my grandma, i guess it's a little of the irish coming through.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
idk, I'm kind like that too. I've got dark brown hair, and my goatee is so dark it's almost black, but when it starts getting a little too long I'll notice a few really red looking hairs. I can still see them when it's short, but I have to look harder. the only person with red hair in my family is my grandma, i guess it's a little of the irish coming through.

No, you're just a red-bearded FREAK!
Quote by b-rock34
No, you're just a red-bearded FREAK!

My hari is brown with natural highlights, my eyebrows are black, and my beard is a light brown, nothing lilke my head. EXPLAIN THAT! xD
Quote by Gunpowder
I buy prostitutes.

And then physically abuse them. See, prostitutes aren't people, like you or me, so it's okay.
Quote by MonkeysRape
My hari is brown with natural highlights, my eyebrows are black, and my beard is a light brown, nothing lilke my head. EXPLAIN THAT! xD

damn, I think you win
Quote by MonkeysRape

You have 3 fathers.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
You have 3 fathers.

...I have none D:. Well, not really.
Quote by Gunpowder
I buy prostitutes.

Quote by MonkeysRape

You don't win for biggest freak because, despite the highest number colors (3), you didn't have any freaky colors like orange. So... Orange Side Burns wins the prize... (lifetime supply of hair dye - contact Loreal for your prize)!
Quote by b-rock34
You don't win for biggest freak because, despite the highest number colors (3), you didn't have any freaky colors like orange. So... Orange Side Burns wins the prize... (lifetime supply of hair dye - contact Loreal for your prize)!

you wouldnt happen to have loreals phone number would you i looked in the phone book and it wasnt in there
IMA SOCIETY DWELLING MOTHER F*CKER

UGS representitive shroudy monk
Last edited by rockerjesus at Mar 8, 2009,