Ok, well i've been following this forum on and off for a few years, and now that I've decided to get a new amp i'm making a post to ask for some advice. Here are some of the specs i'd like:

-all valve
-30-50 watts
-suitable for small gigs (need to be heard over a drummer) and home practice (though my music room at uni is about 10 steps from my door so I would often practice in there)
-under £450
-willing to go used, though I live in the UK and there's less scope for that here than in the US
-I play an Ibanez rg1570 with EMG 81/85s and I have a Dunlop Crybaby 535q Wah
-The music I play varies from indie/alternative to hard rock with a some shred metal but nothing more hardcore than Metallica/Dream Theater/Vai. So the amp needs to be able to be well rounded, i need good cleans, and good amounts of gain for soloing as I play lead, I wouldn't mind buying an OD pedal on top of the amp if it's needed.

I've been looking at:
-Peavey classic 30 + Ibanez TS9
-Peavey Valveking 112 + replacing speaker eventually as I will have more money left over.
Both of which I can try out at local guitar shops
-Also I've heard good things about the Randall RG-50TC, though this is at the top of my price range and no guitar shops near me stock it.

Which out of thses would be the best option for my style of music/are there any other ideas which you could suggest?

Thanks a lot for your input.
bugera 333xl? all valve, 120W, and also should be in your price range, comes in head or combo. people complain about reliability but, being realistic, the number of complaints are blown out of proportion. the people who love bugera are too busy using their amps to be here talking about them imo. according to harmony central, reliability is not really that big an issue. some of the problems that people complain about, ive been getting with marshalls and fenders so...
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Don't get the Valve King! The tone you get from those amps is horrible! I would try to find one of the Carvin Legacy 212 combos used. They sound great, I think you would really like the tone (going from what you said you play.) Look around on ebay and try to find one. I've seen them on there for $500 so I'm sure you could find someone willing to take $450. Good luck though man!
i say look at the peavey vyrpr amps.
i got a 30 watt for 450 aussie dollars
and its ****ing loud for 30 watts
its got 20 somthing effects 11 amp models clean and overdrive channels
yeah its ****ing fantastic mate check it out
Though the reliability of those amps is highly in question at the moment (hey, it's all digital and BRAND NEW, they'll work out the kinks in a few months) I'd go with what Bassist TJ said. The Vypyr's are actually worth a darn and are pretty loud for digital amps. I know I'll stir up a lot of crap with this statement, but I actually think they're the modeling amp that sounds the most like the amps it's trying to model.
Sorry, guys remember I live in the UK so i have £450 spend, so about US$700.
I Don't want a Peavey vypyr because it's a modeling amp.
It's more or less impossible to get a carvin amp here, they have 1 dealer near me whose website doesn't work and i've never seen any on ebay.
Thanks for the input on the Bugeras though, Bob_Smith, they do look pretty good, though they're quite a bit out of my price range, there are no shops near me that stock them, and I really don't need 120 watts, would it actually be worth it?
Oh and I forgot to mention that I would want a combo not a head.
Thanks for the quick responses, anything else?
The classic 30 definitely + TS9 definitely sounds like it would suit you.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Okay, what about the B-52 AT 112? Those are another not-so-expensive amp that sound killer (you'd probably want to add a boost pedal to this one as well though, only about enough gain to pull off early Metallica, and that's a stretch).
I don't think they sell b-52s in the UK, there are none used on ebay or amazon or in any music shops that I know of.
Classic 30 seems the best option so far, though is there anyone that owns a Randall RG-50TC could tell me what they're like too?
well, the 333xl is top of the range, you can always go lower. 6260-212 or the 6262-212 are both combo and a little cheaper. i dont think the wattage should really play that big a part - i think just set a minimum and anything above that is fine as long as you can afford it
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Bugeras are damn unreliable and likely to **** out on you. After seeing countless stories of people saying "halp mai boogera ded " here on UG I can tell you this. Only get one if you plan to give it a good once-over by a tech.

The VK, on the other hand, is reliable, but the distorted tone is **** until you get a new speaker and an equalizer pedal. Nice enough cleans though.

Considering you're in the UK I'd look for a used ENGL Thunder or Screamer or something... maybe a Laney GH50LN used + a cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, while I like the tone of the Bugeras, their reliability puts me off buying one. I know that stock, the VKs have taken a lot of criticism, but if I can pick one up for £270 new, should I do that and then replace the speaker and buy an EQ pedal or would I be better off buying something like a classic 30 for £375 new and an OD pedal?
Thanks,
Josh
Do you get access to Traynor? They've got some all tube combos for your price range. They were very popular in the 60 & 70's and still make good classic tube amps.
Moving on.....
Quote by Bob_Smith
bugera 333xl? all valve, 120W, and also should be in your price range, comes in head or combo. people complain about reliability but, being realistic, the number of complaints are blown out of proportion. the people who love bugera are too busy using their amps to be here talking about them imo. according to harmony central, reliability is not really that big an issue. some of the problems that people complain about, ive been getting with marshalls and fenders so...

When many crucial connections are made by plastic clips (placed in high temperature environments no less) rather than hard-wiring, and a history of poor output transformer performance, I think that is enough to raise a red flag to anyone.
Grr, this is annoyingly tempting, there's an unused Bugera 333xl 212 on ebay for £200 + £35 posting...
Can someone answer though whether I'd be better with a classic 30 + OD or valveking (£100 cheaper) with speaker replacement + EQ?
Quote by Swifty.
Grr, this is annoyingly tempting, there's an unused Bugera 333xl 212 on ebay for £200 + £35 posting...
Can someone answer though whether I'd be better with a classic 30 + OD or valveking (£100 cheaper) with speaker replacement + EQ?

The Bugera has good cleans and and pretty good distortion. I didn't liked it, but that could be just because of I'm not really into metal, and those amps are created with this genre in mind.

They can clean stuff without every problem, I was pretty suprised about the cleans. But then again I played the head over a cab with V30, whilst the Combe will have crappy Behringer-speaker.

For this money it's a good deal, but make sure you let a tech look over it, or better do it yourself. I think Beerchurch has a guide at his site about making Bugeras reliable.

When I was shopping for an amp, I tried the Bugera and I was pretty set on it. But after crapping out the salesman said I should try a Laney GH50L and it was soooo much better then the Bugera. But again, thats just personal opinion, and the Bugera just had more gain I could ever use.

The Bugera will definitely better then the valveking, can't say much about the Classic 30. They are different voiced amps. The Bugera will be better for metal, the Classic 30 better for Rock.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Hi Swifty,

I wondered if I might be able to help. I have a Marshall DSL401 that has been upgraded with a full set of JJ Tesla valves and a Celestion G12T speaker. It is in absolutely mint condition, is ideal for what you're looking for and never been gigged. Truth be told, I've rarely even switched it on! I bought it as I'd joined a band but it all folded before we even got as far as our first gig. It has a beautiful tone that is a little darker and more articulate than the standard amp but much as I may love it, I just don't need it. In standard spec the cheapest I've seen it for online is about £550 and I'm looking for £300 for mine so it falls well inside your budget.

Let me know if it may be of some interest to you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
That's a nice deal you've got, I just checked some of the demos of that amp on youtube and it seems pretty versatile. A few questions though, how old is it? And i've never really bought anything used, how would we go about it? Seeing as I live in manchester (when im not at uni) the easiest option would probably be for me to pick it up. Also, I wouldn't be able to buy it until uni term ends on the 21st of march. Any chance you could post some sound clips of it on your profile? I wanna know what it sounds like with the new speaker and valves.
Some of this I can easily help you with right now and some of it I can't but we'll get around that.

1) The amp is less than 2 years old and I have the original receipt. It was originally bought by a lad (more accurately his parents) of about 18 and he used it just in his parents house but was wanting to change to a Fender as his tastes in music had changed. I suspect his parents spoil him a little! Anyway, it looked like it had come direct from the showroom so I had no hesitation in buying it and it was a great choice. Unfortunately, I took it to just two practice sessions with my new band and the whole thing fell apart (the band, not the amp) so I was left with an amp I simply don't need. I can't play it in the house as my wife hates the sound of an electric guitar (she's mad) so I only ever play through headphones using my GNX3000. I've had it for about 6 months or so and I've been putting off selling it as I like the sound so much but there is no real likelihood of me joining another band in the near future so it seems a waste to keep it. I'd rather it went to someone who could actually enjoy it. I assure you it is in absolutely mint condition, just like one in a showroom being sold new.

2) The fact that you live in Manchester is a bonus. I live in Lincoln but until 2 years ago I was working in Warrington and my wife comes from Manchester so we have a few friends in the area and I'd be prepared to bring it to you if that helps. I don't want to make the journey if you're not sure about the purchase but I'm so convinced it is in mint condition and plays fine I'd be happy to bring it to you. Weekends are fine by me as I work as a teacher but weekdays are out until we break up for Easter in 5 weeks time.

3) I am largely computer illiterate so doing sound clips are difficult and I'm not really a good player anyway, however, where there's a will there's a way. I am available on both MSN and Yahoo so you could listen that way or I could phone you or you could phone me and listen on the phone. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to give you these various contact details. I doubt you'll be disappointed as whatever the upgrade does, it was always going to make it better than the original, if only because the stock speaker in a DSL401 is so poor. The Celestion G12T is used a lot in Marshall cabinets and I think is the speaker used by Yngwie Malmsteen so it must be of pretty good quality.

Look forward to hearing from you
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1