Im not buying it for awhile (giving myself a few months to choose cuz Im poor and when the cash is gone, its NOT coming back anytime soon)

I play all forms of rock, sometimes a little blues, and Heavy metal. So pretty much I want versatility. Im pretty sure my amps are good enough (not great but not bad either), and if I can save some of the $2000 then I can buy a 4x12 (or 2 2x12s preferrably) cab and possibly an attenuator as well so that would be nive

but anyway, my budget is anywhere from $1000-$2000 (but if its only a bit more and worth it I can push the limit to a bit over $2000)

Mainly I've been looking at the carvin CS6 and CT6 -- I like the look of the CT better, but the CS has a thicker body and will probably sound a little better, + I dont have a les paul style guitar and would like one. If I go with either of them it'll be a string through bridge with a TOM and I was thinking sunsetburst on flame maple with no color finish on the back/sides or neck, gold hardware, and abalone block inlays, and metal covered pickups.

Theres also Gibson les pauls, but I'm pretty sure the CS6 would own the gibson considering im not actually after the "Gibson sound" just quality and versatility.

theres also another guitar I've been lusting after for awhile -- A jackson Soloist SL1. Not sure though.

feel free to reccomend other guitars for me to go out and try... Not sure if I want a floyd rose on it. My gut tells me I do, but I don't really use trems that much, and I can probably get better tone without it, but if theres a good guitar with one in that range, reccomend me it.

I'm looking for a guitar with 2 humbuckers (bridge and neck position), preferrably decently high output passives with good articulation. I wanna be able to get some good volume from my guitar to push my amps when I need it, but also get a decent clean when I need it.

also, if you feel that I really DO need a new amp (I think my RG50tc and peavy are decent enough, but I KNOW I can do a lot better) I can also trade in my 2 amps, but If I do, I want something versatile...

remember that theres only $2000 to spend, and I would really like a new guitar with some better pickups... Actually, I'd like the Highest end, best playing and sounding guitar I can get for $2000 or less.

and right now Im leaning toward the carvin CS6
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Feb 27, 2009,
maybe Gibson LP, ESP Eclipse or some PRS?
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

You can get a nice PRS for that price. With the economy being so ****ty right now everyone is selling their gear. There's guitars that look brand new (some basically are) that are going for pretty cheap. Everything is cheap, not just PRS's if you aren't interested in them. But right now I think Ebay is the way to go.
If you don't mind a bit of extra weight i suggest you go with the gibson les paul. They have nice heavy tones and just feels great to play.
Gibson Les Paul Standard with Bare Knuckle pickups either Stormy Mondays, The Mules or for the heavier side of things a set of Nail bombs.

I just put a set of Mules open coiled in my Les Paul Standard and have yet to regret it also pio caps go nicely with them nice set of vitamin Q’s, and 500k CTS pots she now screams they way I want her to.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
i`d say go for the jackson, extremely versatile, or if you dont like the trem, you could go for the jackson sls3, i believe it mah body(its thin though) thru body, neckthrough with two duncan 59s if you need something hotter in the bridge you could always switch out to something you like more just my 2 cents
Look, I once had the same question, and the best thing to do is go to a HUGE store where you can test alot of high end stuff. Then test ALL guitars with HH or HSS config from 1500 up to 3000$. Remember which ones you like, and which ones you dont. Then look on the internet to buy the guitar that you liked the most second hand.

My personal favorite guitars in that price range (I live in Europe and had €1500 to spend => that is like 1500$, because guitars are more expensive over here) were:
- Jackson SL2H
- ESP Horizon FR II
- Suhr S3/S4
- Carvin CT6
- Music Man Pettrucci (yes, a sig, but a bloody good one)

Out of these, the Suhr was by far the best, but slightly more expensive, and very hard to find second hand in the EU (maybe you have more luck in the US). Second most appealing was the Jackson. The carvin was stunning and very well made too, but wasnt as comfortable to me as the Jackson. The Music man had the smoothest and most comfy neck i've ever played (alot like my axis, but a tiny tad thinner), but i didnt like the positions of the knobs and the trem wasnt what i was used to (= OFR). The Horizon is alot like the soloist, but with another neck profile and a carved top (and slightly other tone which i didnt like as much as the tone of the Jackson).

You see that there's alot of personal opinion in this quest, so the best thing to do is go test, test, test...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Feb 27, 2009,
Used SG for preference if its 60's spec. You won't regret it and you'll never lose money on it. Also they do sound awesome for your styles.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by LP_CL
Look, I once had the same question, and the best thing to do is go to a HUGE store where you can test alot of high end stuff. Then test ALL guitars with HH or HSS config from 1500 up to 3000$. Remember which ones you like, and which ones you dont. Then look on the internet to buy the guitar that you liked the most second hand.

My personal favorite guitars in that price range (I live in Europe and had €1500 to spend => that is like 1500$, because guitars are more expensive over here) were:
- Jackson SL2H
- ESP Horizon FR II
- Suhr S3/S4
- Carvin CT6
- Music Man Pettrucci (yes, a sig, but a bloody good one)

Out of these, the Suhr was by far the best, but slightly more expensive, and very hard to find second hand in the EU (maybe you have more luck in the US). Second most appealing was the Jackson. The carvin was stunning and very well made too, but wasnt as comfortable to me as the Jackson. The Music man had the smoothest and most comfy neck i've ever played (alot like my axis, but a tiny tad thinner), but i didnt like the positions of the knobs and the trem wasnt what i was used to (= OFR). The Horizon is alot like the soloist, but with another neck profile and a carved top (and slightly other tone which i didnt like as much as the tone of the Jackson).

You see that there's alot of personal opinion in this quest, so the best thing to do is go test, test, test...

I recommend the doing the same as this guy. By the way are Jackson soloist necks flat or round? I'm particulary intersted in the SL3 or the SLS3.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
It's rather flat, but don't expect ibanez-flat.
In your case, you will have to decide if you want a trem or not, and if you want ebony or rosewood.
I personally would go for the SLS3.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by LP_CL
It's rather flat, but don't expect ibanez-flat.
In your case, you will have to decide if you want a trem or not, and if you want ebony or rosewood.
I personally would go for the SLS3.

Amber Sunburst looks gorgeous on the SL3 but I don't know if I need a trem or not, I'll still have to think about it though, It's alot of money I'm dealing with afterall.

TS if you like the Carvin, I'd say go with it.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
@ tweeb: One last thing: Wouldn't you rather have a USA Jackson for that kind of money? (second hand offcourse)

Better guitar, same budget.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You could get a custom for $2000. I don't see any point in getting a production guitar.
Have you looked into Schecter at all? Some of their guitars, like the C-1+ and Solo 6, have two humbuckers and a coil tap for single coil sounds, which will cover your bases nicely, and for the extra money you could get yourself a monster gigging amp. Go look at the Solo 6, it seems to fit your request perfectly.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
^ If a production guitar has the specs you're looking for, there's no point in going custom. However, if I had that kinda money I'd get a Feline or Manson.

Otherwise, Musicman.
the carvin with a wilkinson trem would work well for you
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Although there is a 10 day trial period, you can't really try before you buy with Carvin, unless you find a used one in a shop. They are fantastic guitars, and will be the best value for your money if you decide to go with it. Another downside is waiting 2 months to get it. Personally I think it is worth the wait... but Im just being partial.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Gibson Explorer FTW. Amazing guitars
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
£500 says he never buys it and is in a dream world..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by John5rules125
Gibson Explorer FTW. Amazing guitars

This. But mod the hell out of it! Bareknuckle pups, coil tap and such. That would be a dreamy guitar!!
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
I'd get a nice PRS.
Last edited by Scopic at Feb 27, 2009,

ESP Eclipse
sex
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
535Q CryBaby
Boss SD-1
ISP Decimator
EHX Small Clone
Boss DD-7
MXR 10 Band EQ
Peavey Classic 30
Whatever you buy, Make sure it keeps its value. A Rickenbacker is a good example but I'm not recommending Rickenbackers necessarily, I'm just saying... Make sure what you buy holds its value.
Carvin is a great guitar company a guitar made to your exact specs what could fit you better than that?

I would also look into an ibanez prestige RG or even one of the Team J Craft models that are made in Japan. Ive looked into both and have played a prestige and it was incredible! Defintley going for that for my third guitar.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
esp ec-1000 fr. i think its called (les paul, sexy, floyd rose, pickups are HOT, Versatile, ect...) its great. esp's are great. I'll be getting one of them once I get a grand saved.
Les Paul
2008 Les Paul Studio Vintage Faded Mahogany, Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, Basson B412. 2009 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, Ampeg SVT-VR, SVT410HLF
I would have to aggree with the schecter statement, i bought 1 and i had to buy another... Also they are extremely versitile with the coil tap so you can play single coil classic stuff or modern humbuckers.
Trust me, you will fall in love with Schecters
Quote by willieturnip
£500 says he never buys it and is in a dream world..

lol if you really wanna know its no secret, my dad got declared disabled and I get about a $5000 check for part of this year for myself out of it. pretty sad, he has a degenerative brain disorder its rough.

he's not paying it to me, the state is going to pay me benefits for it too, so it doesnt come out of his wallet. so no, technically i dont *really* have the money yet, but I should be getting it around the summer, but I'm already trying to get an idea of what I want, but I knew people on this forum wouldnt reply if I said I *was going to* have it but would if I said I *already did*. So I played a bit of a dirty trick...

but I assure you I really will have the money...

however Im only spending $2000 on guitar stuff, the rest is going to college expenses and some car expenses (gas, repairs,etc.).

Im doing just because its probably the only time in my life I'll be able to spend so much on something I like, and even though I may not be able to justify buying something so expensive (other people here are far better players ) but I... want it and can get it so wtf?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Feb 28, 2009,
You want versatility. Variax 700
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Build yourself a Carvin. Made in america, custom for you.
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
sorry for reviving an old thread (well middle aged really)...

but how would an ibanez S2170SE with a pickup swap for Dimarzio Evolutions in the bridge/neck and a Dimarzio DP184 chopper in the middle work out?

that way I could save some of the cash for lessons... I've been wanting a teacher but I needed cash lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q