Hi all, I'm moving to Germany next year to do a music course, and I was wondering, what do I need to know about the German music system? I know that they have an H - but I'm not 100% sure where it is. This is what I've heard:
H replaces B, and B replaces Bb.
So, moving upwards chromatically you get G G# A B H C
That looks totally wrong so feel free to correct me. Also, if there's any other quirks or hidden surprises for me over there, I'd love to be made aware of them.

Thanks.
That confuses me...

So B = H ... that's correct (i think that's why someone wrote b unclear and then they thought it looks like a h)...

Bb is A# i think... but i'm not so sure about notes

so it's

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

but i'm note sure
I'd say that you shouldn't worry about it that much, I'm sure they wouldn't expect a foreigner who's studied under a different music syllabus to know German music quirks. If there are any, you'll pick them up soon enough.
Quote by kenan6346
I'd say that you shouldn't worry about it that much, I'm sure they wouldn't expect a foreigner who's studied under a different music syllabus to know German music quirks. If there are any, you'll pick them up soon enough.

this it's only a few minor things, which anyone can pick up within a week or 2 or maybe less.

Besides it's not theoretically different, I'm sure they actually encourage to rather use the english "universal" way as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Here in denmark, we use Bb for Bb and H for B

thus making the chromatic: C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb G#/Ab A#/Bb H C
Quote by Reeen
That confuses me...

So B = H ... that's correct (i think that's why someone wrote b unclear and then they thought it looks like a h)...

Bb is A# i think... but i'm not so sure about notes

so it's

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

but i'm note sure

A bit off mark, buddy. We're not talking about what notes are enharmonic to what. In Germany, you refer to a B natural as H, not as, well, B natural.

Your original assumptions are correct, TS. A B is B flat, while the H is the B natural.
^
Why? Surely it would be best for TS to learn as much as possible about any differences that exist so that he can be on a level footing with everyone else.

TS, I think you've got the H and B thing right (this was how BACH could sign of some of his pieces with his name).
Declan, just ignore all the things said in this, you had it right from the start.

"H replaces B, and B replaces Bb." Yes, this is correct