Page 1 of 2
Hey, this is basically a "which to get" distortion pedal thread.
I went to a music store, tried out a digitech distortion factory 7, was pretty good... but then i read some reviews saying that the metal muff was better.. the metal muff is $30AU more expensive... and I'm thinking maybe it's better to get a pedal that's designed for that 1 distortion sound rather then making 7 different ones.. Having said that i do need a distortion pedal that will sound good for metal stuff (parkway drive sort of stuff) and then be able to sound good for indie/alt stuff (bloc party sorta crap).
So I'm wondering which to go for? or if you have better ideas let me know.
I have a Schecter Omen Extreme FR which when i get my Fender Telecaster I'm going to be permanently putting in drop c for the metal stuff.. and I'm running through a Roland Cube 30x amp, but I'm wanting to change that to something 100w in the future.
Thanks
for bloc party, i'd recommend the ProCo RAT 2.

theres a video of someone playing bloc party using that pedal.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I will be hopefully in the future getting a Marshall 250dx or another 100w marshall... so the pedal has to play indie and metal good through this amp.
I'm leaning towards the DF7 because it has more ability to get different distorted sounds which will be good for getting the main indie and metal sounds.
before I got my current setup, I used the metal muff through my MG and it sounded OK...but just about anything is going to be better than the stock distortion
Quote by braydz
I will be hopefully in the future getting a Marshall 250dx or another 100w marshall... so the pedal has to play indie and metal good through this amp.
Cue standard chain of posts all saying what a terrible idea that is.

3, 2, 1... GO!
404: Sig not found.
horrible, do not get that marshall.. you're paying for the name.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Haha it's the best looking 100w amp for the price i can find..
If you can think of a better 100w amp around $800 then let me know..
Also i think I've decided to get the DF7.
Why 100watt?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Well something 75W +.
It's gotta be good enough for some smallish gigs and something that'll last so i don't have to think about getting a new amp for a long long time.
It's a solid state amp, and not a good one. Pretty much any decent quality 30W tube/valve amp will sound at least 20 times better and louder.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 27, 2009,
You need a tube amp..
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
First 2 aren't tube.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Yeah i know but they're around 100w and in my price range..
Ideas.. just something that is either 75-100w or tube that sounds 75-100 under say 8-900AU.
That's $850 in a store near me.. my friend has one though and says it's not very good... sounds muddy or something.
It is better then that crappy frontman, just get that randall.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
They're 50 watt tube, they sound awesome when cranked, get it.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Yeah but it's a randall.... sure it's tube but like a 50w randall wouldn't sound better than a 100w not tube marshall?? It's ALL VALVE.. not tube anyway??
I think you have the same thing in your head as many do that Marshall are the be all and end all of amps. While they do make good amps (the higher end, expensive tube and second-hand vintage ones), the MG + AVT range are not good.
There are also many, many amp manufacturers far superior to Marshall.

A 50w tube amp will most assuredly sound a ton louder than a 100w solid state amp (and generally better).
Plus with tube amps, when they're cranked up the sound better. The way a solid state and "clips", IE. distorts the sound leads to awful fizzy crap sound when turned up high.

Also, tube and valve mean the same thing.

Edit: I should also add.. amp wattage does not = volume. It can be a guide but that's not how it works.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by braydz
Yeah but it's a randall.... sure it's tube but like a 50w randall wouldn't sound better than a 100w not tube marshall?? It's ALL VALVE.. not tube anyway??

valves=tubes
OK i think I'm gonna just get the Digitech Distortion Factory 7 because i need something that's more versatile then just all out distortion and can give me a nice indie sound too... and i think with the DF7 having the lots of different options i would be able to do that.
Amp wise... I'm not sure as of yet... I won't be getting the amp for a while... so give me some suggestions for bang for your buck amps.. something loud enough to do smallish gigs with + be able to do indie and metal well too. Thanks for all your help so far
What about this.
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=FESCXD
Just found it.
It's 15w tube amp... the overdrive is solid state though :S Apparently it's good aslong as you don't need too much gain, but with the distortion pedal I'm getting that's not really a factor.
It's tube apparently... but only 15.. so i dunno if it would be loud enough.. everyone says good for a "practice amp" but i need something capable of smallish gigs.
Quote by braydz
Haha it's the best looking 100w amp for the price i can find..
If you can think of a better 100w amp around $800 then let me know..
Also i think I've decided to get the DF7.

At 800 dollars you can get basically any amp that is better than the MG.

Also you need to read some of the threads here more if you don't know that valve=tube, and mg=bad, and 30w tube amps can easily do small gigs.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Feb 27, 2009,
800Australian mate
What you guys think of the fender super champ xd??
It seems like it'll be good with the telecaster mim I'm getting.. but maybe not so good for metal? although i will be getting the distortion factory7 so that through a tube amp on the clean channel witht he gain high might get some nice metal sounds... ideas/help?
No no my schecter omen 6 in drop c is for metal... the tele is for indie/rock/alt.
I just need an amp that can work well with the pedal and give me some good heavy metal sounds + without the pedal give me some nice crunchy indie ya know.. versatility is the key!
I think you may end up having to settle for something that rests somewhere inbetween those two styles in that price bracket.
If I had to get a distortion pedal I'd get the hardwire digitech distortion. Those are true bypass and really really nice pedals.
Quote by Darkflame
i've heard great stuff about the crate v18, sounded nice when i tried it

The crate v18 is a cool amp. I own the bigger version. But I mean for distortion it's not that great. A blues distortion it's okay but it's not a metal amp if that's what he's looking for.

If I was him I'd save up 450 bucks and get a tube 60 watt vypyr. Those things sound amazing. I'm in love with mine.

Thing is though to the poster... If you can't afford a good tube amp do not rush in and just buy an amp because it's a tube amp. If you have to get a solid state with good distortion then get it before you get some tube amp that doesn't have good distortion just because it's a tube amp.
Quote by braydz
No no my schecter omen 6 in drop c is for metal... the tele is for indie/rock/alt.
I just need an amp that can work well with the pedal and give me some good heavy metal sounds + without the pedal give me some nice crunchy indie ya know.. versatility is the key!

Then a tube vypyr will be awesome. You won't need any pedals either. It has all the rack effects and stompboxes you could ever need and the amp models sound realistic. If you have to get the solid state version it is decent too. But it doesn't sound as realistic as the tube version to me. Doesn't have that real feel either.
Page 1 of 2