I got a 500k push pull for coil tap and I put it in my first guitar project. But instead of it acting like a volume, it acted like a tone. I figured i messed up somewhere. But I recently scavenged it for another project and when I wired it up, the same thing happened. This time I'm sure that its wired exactly to the diagram. It happened twice so Its gotta be a bad pot, right?
Are you sure its not a capacitor pot? Cause thats the only possible thing, or you suck at electronics
Quote by Haedadru
Are you sure its not a capacitor pot? Cause thats the only possible thing, or you suck at electronics

Ditto :S I find this sorta off hmmm.

Check if it's not a capacitor pot lol.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Wouldn't this have something to do with using a logarithmic pot instead of a linear pot or vice versa? I'm not sure, but I think that might be your problem... Or I might just be guessing completely off the mark.
Sounds like you turned your volume pot into a tweed amp style tone pot. If the ground on the pot isn't connected very well then it could make the pot load down your signal rather than act as a voltage divider. When the signal gets loaded down it sounds like you are turning down a tone knob. If you ground connection looks good then chances are you got the pot too hot when you were soldering and it damaged the trace.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Haedadru

Actually you are wrong. The guy at the shop said if one of the tabs wasn't grounded, the same thing would happen. (which mine was) He couldn't find anything wrong with my wiring either, so I don't suck at electronics.

Anyway I got a new one and the new one works fine. So it had to have been a bad/ wrong pot.
Quote by Dr. House
Actually you are wrong. The guy at the shop said if one of the tabs wasn't grounded, the same thing would happen. (which mine was) He couldn't find anything wrong with my wiring either, so I don't suck at electronics.

Anyway I got a new one and the new one works fine. So it had to have been a bad/ wrong pot.

Yep, that's the sure-fire sign of a bad pot (which you figured out before I saw the thread at all).

What kind of pot was it? I'm always trying to figure out what brands to buy and what brands not to buy.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
It was an Allparts pot. But its the first time I've ever got a bad part from Allparts. It got replaced with a MightyMite one.
Quote by Invader Jim
What the hell is a cpacitor pot? I've heard of caps, I've heard of pots, but I've never heard of capacitor pots.

Thank you jim. I was gonna say the same thing. They may be thinking of variable capacitors which have no functional way of being implemented into a guitar circuit and won't look like the traditional guitar pot. Also, they wouldn't have push-pull switching. They failed thrice.
Quote by Dr. House
It was an Allparts pot. But its the first time I've ever got a bad part from Allparts. It got replaced with a MightyMite one.

this is why i buy my pots from futurlec. alpha pots a price much more affordable than allparts.
Quote by Dr. House

I guess it's bound to happen now and then. I use Allparts pots all the time, maybe I'm just lucky
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer