hey guys after a visit to guitar center I decided it was time for a new guitar. I was playing a Schecter I *think* and it had a floating Rose Floyd trem. it might have been a C-1. when i talked to my friends and guitar teacher they warned me that floating trems can be a real hassle and i was wondering what UG's opinion was. Another thing my guitar teacher mentioned was the locks between the head and neck could also be annoying to adjust when changing tunings. I really had fun using the Rose Floyd trem when I was playing the guitar but I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.

thanks a lot
PAH!
Do you play in multiple tunings a lot?

Have a basic/intermediate understanding of guitar set ups too?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Depends if you change tunings a lot. If you don't, Floyd's are pretty sweet, but can get expensive.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Depends on what you wanna do with it. If youre going to stay in 1 tuning all the time and want to do dive bombs and all that crazy stuff without it detuning, a good floyd rose equiped guitar will do that for you.

A floyd rose does take getting used to, 'just' changing a string/all your strings will take you longer than on a guitar without a floyd.

also, adjusting height/action is something you dont want to do yourself with a floyd. Get a professional to do it for you once and youll be alot happier. Unless youre that pro yourself ofc, then you can do it yourself (and you wouldnt be asking about the pros and cons of floyd roses on UG!)
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Yeah your better off having two guitars if you use different tunings often it can get to be a hassle but they do sell instant tuners for floyd rose
i'm not changing my tuning very often, but i occasionally drop down to D

i have a fairly basic understanding of guitar setups
PAH!
Quote by t.ev
i'm not changing my tuning very often, but i occasionally drop down to D

i have a fairly basic understanding of guitar setups

I'd recommend getting a tremol-no too, it essentially lets you have it in full floating mode, hardtail or dive only.

When in dive only you can use the vibrato going "down" but not up, but it lets you change to drop D with just the fine tuners and if you snap a string it won't go out of tune.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
thanks a lot that sounds pretty cool! so with the tremol-no i could eliminate the problems that come with the floyd....i like that! also does the actual whammy bar come off on the floyd? i know on my strat copy my whammy just unscrews but i didnt want to like pull the bar off or break it so i didnt screw with it too much
PAH!
It'll either unscrew or pop/unlock and come out.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
It'll either unscrew or pop/unlock and come out.

awesome!

thanks a lot for the help everyone...i may be picking myself up a schecter pretty soon
PAH!
Do it, you wont regret it. The only problem i have with Schecters is that once i bought one, i had to buy another because i liked it so much!
Quote by brndnstffrd
Do it, you wont regret it. The only problem i have with Schecters is that once i bought one, i had to buy another because i liked it so much!

hahahah yeah dude i figure the awesome **** i can do with the floating trem overpowers how it sucks to restring them
PAH!
Quote by brndnstffrd

i bought my schecter and i'm already GASing for another one. lol I love them
They r like tattoos, one you get one your addicted...... (Now for a Schecter Tattoo.....)
RevaM1ssP1ss
UG E-Vicar
RIP The Rev
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
If you go to drop d sometimes, just the the "EVH Drop D tuna". You still would have to block it, but with a flip of a switch you go to drop d.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
Last edited by jackson player at Feb 28, 2009,