Hi guys, I've never owned (or even played through) an all-tube amp and I think it's about time I started to.

Current guitars:
1996 Rickenbacker 360, all stock.
2003 Schecter Blackjack (with SD JB/59 pups)

Current amp:
Vox Valvetronix AD60VT (the first, blue grillcloth line of models)

Musical styles:
Pretty eclectic really; my passion and background is in punk rock, but I also listen to some heavier stuff like Mastodon, Darkest Hour, KSE; the usuals. No black/death metal stuff. I enjoy blues, jazz, and even classical too. Really anything.

Requirements:
I have a smallish house and my amp is currently just in the living room (so I can noodle around without feeling like I'm neglecting my wife and baby girl). Which brings me to the point that I need something that either:
1) Sounds great at a very low volume or at least 2) takes very well to an attenuator.

Versatility is what is most important to me.
Second is probably cost! I can't afford a $2k Mesa 1x12.

I've looked at Peavey Classic 30s and have been very pleased at the sound (albeit this is just youtube demos, I haven't heard one in person) and my own personal Holy Grail has got to be a Vox AC30 but it's just too steep for me.

One more thing: I don't mind buying used, even if it's a little beat up.
Guitars
1996 Rickenbacker 360 Jetglo "Christine"
2003 Schecter S1 Blackjack w/ SD JB/59 "Lenore"
Gear
Lopo Line 1x12 w/ WGS British Lead 80
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Pedals: GE-7 EQ | BBE SS | V847
Budget?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Budget?

Sorry.

Well under $1000. More like $400-500. (Which is why I'm thinking I'll have to go used)
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Check out Orange Tiny Terrors too.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
If you aren't gigging with it, the Blackstar HT-5 might be a good option for you. Great sounding little 5W head, with more gain than most of the other tiny ones. I think it sounds better than the others too. Not going to be ideal for metal, but it can get pretty heavy with a boost, and it covers the mid gain and hard rock tones very well. Nice chimey clean channel too, although obviously not a lot of headroom.

Even for 5W, it can get really loud. You aren't going to get powertube saturation at comfortable apartment levels. In order to get the tube cooking, it's going to piss off people in the same house. Luckily, it does sound really good at lower volumes, since you don't need to saturate the tubes for gain, it's preamp is packed with a bunch. Very cool sounding little head. Here's a little clip I made this week. It's thru a 4x12 however, so keep in mind it might not sound as "big" on a small cab.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=3063
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If you want to keep the cost down go for a Blackheart Little Giant 3W/5W Combo amp...new those are $350....you can find them on eBay though for under $300...

Otherwise i'd go for the Orange Tiny Terror 7W/15W Those are around $450 used for the head
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Wow, I'm glad I posted this thread.
I'd seen the Orange TT before, but it's a little too simple for me, it doesn't seem versatile enough for my style of playing.
That blackheart 3w/5w combo looks ideal. I watched some demos on youtube and stuff and it sounds terrific!
Erock503: Thanks for the demo! I'm surprised this amp can go so heavy. Are you using a pedal with it?

Thanks a lot guys!
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
The TT may lack a bunch of features but it sounds awesome
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1045505990.html Crate VC20. 15 watts all tube, made in USA, $235. Great little amps.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1024479905.html Here's a classic 30 for $325, barely used.

But I will also back the HT5 that Erock recommended. While I haven't tried it yet, all the clips seem pretty good. It comes in combo form as well as head/cab.

Vox is releasing a 4 watt combo and head/cab in your price range, all tube, "based" on the ac30 - that may work for you but I've no idea how much gain you can beat out of it. It's coming out soon.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
To be honest if you've played a tiny terror then you'll know it's probably not what he's looking for
IMO it gets a good rock and clean tone. But that's it
It sounds pretty loose and not tight enough.
I blame that on the El34's though

But a Blackstar HT-5 definitely looks like what you're looking for
Quote by Nosf3ratu
Erock503: Thanks for the demo! I'm surprised this amp can go so heavy. Are you using a pedal with it?

Thanks a lot guys!

np man. yeah, I was pretty surprised too actually, lol. That was the OD channel boosted with a BB Preamp OD/boost pedal. gain on the pedal was at 9:00, vol/level was 2:00. Gain on the amp was around 2:00.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by gregs1020
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1045505990.html
Vox is releasing a 4 watt combo and head/cab in your price range, all tube, "based" on the ac30 - that may work for you but I've no idea how much gain you can beat out of it. It's coming out soon.

Any idea what it's called? AC4TV?
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Last edited by Nosf3ratu at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Nosf3ratu
Any idea what it's called? AC4TV?

Yes I think that's it. http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/ac4tv/
Looks pretty sweet, and the clips I've heard sound decent but how much gain you can really tweek out of a 4 wattr is another question. If you can hold out to try this, it may be worth it for you. This and the blackstar ht5 are on my shortlist to try when possible.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']To be honest if you've played a tiny terror then you'll know it's probably not what he's looking for
IMO it gets a good rock and clean tone. But that's it
It sounds pretty loose and not tight enough.
I blame that on the El34's though

But a Blackstar HT-5 definitely looks like what you're looking for
EL34s? I'm pretty sure the TT is EL84.
If you like Vox, try the AC4TV. Perfect for a Vox sound at low volumes, but it wouldn't be as versatile as you'd like. I suggest a Blackstar HT5 combo, with any extra money spent on an OD pedal to push it into heavier territory (if you're strapped for cash then the Digitech Bad Monkey is pretty good; if not, the Hardwire is good (reasonably priced well featured tone machine) as well as the MXR GT-OD (no frills tone machine) and the Maxon OD9 (frilly and expensive tone machine))
Ac15?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have a Classic 30 and it's a great amp. You are going to need pedals to get your tones at low volume. I see them used on CL for around $300.
I was gonna ask this same question but i'm glad i found this thread, very helpful. I'm thinking of selling a vox valvetronix i own and i think a small tube amp is the way to go :P
Quote by The Clerk
I was gonna ask this same question but i'm glad i found this thread, very helpful. I'm thinking of selling a vox valvetronix i own and i think a small tube amp is the way to go :P

I think I'm going to keep my Valvetronix, especially if I go with the Vox AC4TV, because the tronix will be more versatile.
Guitars
Gear
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i've never played one, but erock's demo and the youtube videos i've seen of that blackstar ht5 sound amazing. i'd pay attention to the guys recommending that amp to ya--peace--
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.