I need your help, my cd/dvd drive has stopped working, its picking up when i put games in and **** but i cant burn a disc at all, the burning software says the drive isnt compatible to write.

I've burnt cd's off before its just randomly stopped.

Thanks in advance.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Bollocks, i hoped it wouldnt come to that.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
well what do you expect? we have no idea about your computer, what kind of drive you have, what program you're using. more info please
Im using xp home service pack 3 the drive is a hl dt st dvd-rom gdr8162b which i believe is made by LG

Also im using nero 7.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
But a laserpen and just write the data to the disk long-hand.
404: Sig not found.
No new games really, i mean a couple of odd little programs but nothing that should cripple it completely.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Quote by freedoms_stain
Have you recently installed any new games?

Find out if they have SecuROM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securom

It's this arsehole of a new copy protection software that works by hobbling your dvd burner.

indeed stay away from games that have this.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
re-install the driver and check your registry to make sure it didn't get jacked up somehow....

you haven't been playing with the registry have you...?
never play with the registry....
bad things happen to people that play with the registry....
The drives not very old, and annoyingly i didnt install it so i have no idea where the driver is or where to find the disc.

Also the only messing with registry i've done is deleting upper and lower filters which microsoft tell you do to on their tutorial.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Quote by skinzpoison
The drives not very old, and annoyingly i didnt install it so i have no idea where the driver is or where to find the disc.

Also the only messing with registry i've done is deleting upper and lower filters which microsoft tell you do to on their tutorial.
You don't need a driver disc for a basic dvd burner, it's a generic windows driver, just order windows to update the driver.
so you played with the registry ?

well go check and make sure all your disk burning stuff in the registry is all put together right still, just google for how it should look....

if it's wrong, either try n re-type everything manually or just take it to best buy n pay up

edit: the registry doesn't like to be "agreeable", so changes in one place can throw the entire thing out of whack....
that's why it might be messed up
Last edited by greyeyedfire at Feb 27, 2009,
I've tried cd burner xp and that didnt pick up the disc either.

Also sorry to sound computer illiterate but how do i get windows to update the driver?
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
If it's a SecuROM problem you can easily disable it. Go to start -> Run, Type "Msconfig" ( without the quotes in the box and hit enter. go to the services tab and uncheck the box "securom".

Btw, I would like some more details about it
- Do you have the problem only in burning dvds or both.
- Which antivirus do you use?
- which software you have installed recently

also tyr reinstalling nero 7

hope that helps

-
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

Thanks ill check that now, also
I have problems doing both
Im using avg anti virus free
And the latest programs i've installed are:
Spybot
DWG true view
Guitar pro 5

And to greyeyedfire do you have any links to what it should look like cause im not quite sure what im meant to be looking for.
Audacity
CD burner xp
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing? ... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you?"
YNWA
Also can you post an screenshot of the error nero 7 gives you, please keep it low resolution as i am using my smartphone cause i am upgrading my pc right now
Quote by flabber.gast

It doesnt give a error, just the drive doesnt show up on the list of compatible drives , its the same on cd burner.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Yeah i tried cd burner, nero and alcohol 120.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
Have you tried to use the windows built in burner? He not i see a registry problem. You should use system restore.
/Thread.

P.S.: Sorry for being so late, my ISP Sucks
Quote by flabber.gast

Last edited by Rocker_geek at Feb 27, 2009,
I dont know when to restore it back, i havnt burn off a disc in quite a while.

Also while messign with cd burner xp i found out it does detect my drive but for when i go onto the feature of the drive it says it has no writting functions at all, i've burnt discs before so for some reason its just stopped.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3