hey guys ive just had my new amp delivered(yay) a randall rg50tc as its my first tube amp i have some questions, namely, how to get good tone at neighbour friendly levels ( i know playing loud has the best tone) and secondly i have passive humbuckers so should i use the high or low input?

thx
I've actually never played a Randall but congrats on your purchase

pics/clips/nad?

Anyway, I'd use the second, lower gain input. Turn the gain or preamp volume up pretty high and set your guitar at like 7 or 8 and then slowly bring volume up. An OD pedal would help too to get an overdriven tone at lower volumes. Not super familiar with options on the amp so BUMP for ya!
hey, thx for ur reply. ive got no way at this time to upload pics but i will do in the near future.

and on the subject of Od pedals, do you know of any good ones that will not ruin tone like those insane gain digitechs (metal master was what i used to get gain out of my old, frankly shi!@ amp) thanks again
For 'teh' brootalz (at bedroom levels) i used Gain 1 at around 1 oclock, bass at 3 oclock, mids around 1 or 2 oclock and the highs the same as bass. The level on the gain channel very low then adjust the master volume to the volume you want.

edit: for a rhythm tone use Gain 2
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
I have this amp and it's pretty dece, minus the gain channel.

I dunno if mine is ****ed up or what, but the gain channel sounds like absolute ass. A distortion pedal solves this no problem. Great budget tube combo.
Quote by -heartbreaker-

I dunno if mine is ****ed up or what, but the gain channel sounds like absolute ass. A distortion pedal solves this no problem. Great budget tube combo.

I think yours is messed up somehow because this amp is known for immense amounts of pretty good sounding gain at a low price. If anything I think the clean channel is lacking.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by -heartbreaker-

I always use my tube screamer when I use the gain channel. I don't like how it sounds without it.
Quote by razorback91
hey guys ive just had my new amp delivered(yay) a randall rg50tc as its my first tube amp i have some questions, namely, how to get good tone at neighbour friendly levels ( i know playing loud has the best tone) and secondly i have passive humbuckers so should i use the high or low input?

thx

I have the same question myself. Really interested in knowing how to get the best metal tone at a low volume with this amp.
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Mine appears to be giving me some trouble as well, thought it would sound heavier. I've been playing around with the gain and EQ forever and still can get the distortion that I want. I have that gain all the way at 10 as well.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Quote by MegaD
Mine appears to be giving me some trouble as well, thought it would sound heavier. I've been playing around with the gain and EQ forever and still can get the distortion that I want. I have that gain all the way at 10 as well.

I think the amp is not the greatest for metal. It does sound better with an overdrive pedal.
I have just bought one and I have a problem with the gain, with the gain at max it still sounds like an overdrive. All the tubes are warming up nice. Any Ideas?

I will be trying with new preamp tubes as soon I get them.

I cant sound like this even with the gain maxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jhIEDMRrM&feature=related
Last edited by Esti_Sonata at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Esti_Sonata
I have just bought one and I have a problem with the gain, with the gain at max it still sounds like an overdrive. All the tubes are warming up nice. Any Ideas?

I will be trying with new preamp tubes as soon I get them.

I cant sound like this even with the gain maxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jhIEDMRrM&feature=related

The Randall RG50TC isn't really that high gain. I've had the amp for almost 2 years now and I've never gotten any tr00 br00talz high gain out of it. The distortion honestly is lacking, but the clean channel and clean boost are surprisingly competent I've found.

Though I haven't used any pedals to remedy this problem, so I may check into getting a tube screamer or something to help.

EDIT: Aaaaand I just realized this was a one year bump, not a two-month one. Oops.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX