Gear soo far: Marshall mg 15cd and Epiphone les paul standard.

I think at first the sound was ok but now i realize the at the sound of the mg is horrible and my guitar is sorta difficult to play at times now..

I really plan on starting a band and would like to jam with a drummer and a bassist or another guitarist but I dunno what geari should get...

I play Rock hard rock punk and some metal like soad metallica..

What amp would i need and what guitar?? noo clue anymore what is perfect 4 me

I just got a job and plan on saving my paychecks up to about 300-400 bucks so i can buy something.. can yall make reccomendations please??
theres your problem, you need to look at the big picture dude, save up 1000$ or 1500$ and get good stuff rather than spending 300 or 400 on stuff you'll end up replaceing in 6 months anyways. i learned the hard way.
I would replace your amp first as most of you rsound comes from your amp. But it depends, in what ways is the guitar difficult to play. Is it to the point where its no longer fun to play becasue of it. If thats the case it may be wise to upgrade your guitar first so that you keep playing.
Your guitar is fine for now.
Get a new amp

May I recommend a Blackstar HT-5
it may be abit quiet for a drummer (you'll have to crank it)
But good tone> loudness

Edit: and Btw, $400 is nothing in the world of guitars
Probably just enough for a decent practice amp
Last edited by Anno[fzk] at Feb 27, 2009,
well i like my guitar but it looks ugly now that its all scratched up lol but thats not as important as sound i know.. soo what amo should i get??? and if i save up to 1 grand in money that will take like 5 months and i dont wanna wait 3-5 months
^definitely

thats a good guitar man, get a low end tube for 300-400 (blues jr, valve jr, crate v series, bugeras) and i thnk youll be happy for a while.... you DONT need a 1000-1500 dollar amp as the above poster said, hes clearly a tone snob.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
well are the valve jrs and vblues jr loud enough 4 small gigs and band practises?? i plan on playing rock hard rock and some metal are those good 4 that kind of music?
I'd buy a better guitar first unless you need an amp for practices and shows. Anyway you should consider spending 1500$ for both the guitar and amp at least. Depends on if you consider buying new or used stuff and what you want of the guitar and amp.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
like i said i cant get 1500 easily it will take me like 4-5 months and i am not willing to wait thatr long with my horrid marshall mg amp
i just bought a marshall MG100HDFX and a Marshall MG412A and it was roughly 700 for the whole thing and i like it alot. and i would reccomend an Ibanez Art300..... its like 400 and it sounds nice and since your used to the lp shape it wouldnt be much of a change for you
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
Quote by tubetime86
^definitely

thats a good guitar man, get a low end tube for 300-400 (blues jr, valve jr, crate v series, bugeras) and i thnk youll be happy for a while.... you DONT need a 1000-1500 dollar amp as the above poster said, hes clearly a tone snob.

Are you talking about me? Because I never said anything like that, but you can't get much amp for 300-400 bucks, it would be wise to save up a couple of hunderd more and buy something you can happily use for a couple of years so you don't have to constantly upgrade.
Quote by Powerstrike
lol u bought a marshall gm 100dfx isnt that a bigger version of my ****ty amp???

Yes, yes it is. I have the same amp as you, bigggg mistake. Buy a marshall that's not solid state, sometype of tube.
Quote by Powerstrike
lol u bought a marshall gm 100dfx isnt that a bigger version of my ****ty amp???

well idk im nto sure what yours looks like, but mine the MG100DFX is the head that i bought, the whole thing is a half stack but i like it... maybe the first thing you should replace is your guitar cause idk what you epi sounds like so it may be that, that is making in every thing sound bad... know what i mean?
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
get a carvin tube combo, they are good price right from carvin, check the website
and your epi is fine just hotrod it, new pickups , tone pros bridge and locking tuners and a new ervana nut and youre golden.
for 350 you aint gonna get much
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Feb 27, 2009,
I agree. Most Epi Les Paul Standards are excellent starting points for an excellent guitar. When I have to mess with one I usually just change the pickups and give it a good setup and it's good to go.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
the b-52 stuff aint bad, flextone is ok too but not as good as a real tube amp.
check out carvins website, you can buy direct from them and they are quite cheap. it woudl give you something to aim for lol
guys, what about a peavey valve king? i just got the head and cab for (head-£250/$300, cab-£200/$250) and the heavy tones with a boss metal zone i get out of it with my gibson v are unbelievable, heavy/blues/clean whatever u want u can get it, get a peavey head and cab or combo an maybe save for somin like a less pricey gibson, i payed £550/$700 for my v!
Gear -

Gibson 1967 flying V (cherry)!

Marshall JCM2000 half stack

Boss SD-1

Check out my Metal band KickFist at www.myspace.com/Kickfist
Quote by Fritz621
well idk im nto sure what yours looks like, but mine the MG100DFX is the head that i bought, the whole thing is a half stack but i like it... maybe the first thing you should replace is your guitar cause idk what you epi sounds like so it may be that, that is making in every thing sound bad... know what i mean?

no. he should not replace the guitar. he has an amp near the bottom of the range of MGs, and the MGs are the bottom of the range marshalls. Basically, it's the amp that's lacking. No amount of plastic lettering can change that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
peavey classic 30 or crate v-series/palomino with an overdrive pedal, or maybe a valveking. they've all been mentioned, so i'm just adding this for emphasis.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Your guitar is fine for now.
Get a new amp

May I recommend a Blackstar HT-5
it may be abit quiet for a drummer (you'll have to crank it)
But good tone> loudness

Edit: and Btw, $400 is nothing in the world of guitarsProbably just enough for a decent practice amp
...i got my triple x 120w head for 400....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Crate Palomino V50 (great amps, probably should be retubed for better gain)
Peavey Classic 30 (also great amps, needs a pedal for metal)
Vox AC15 (also also great amps, needs a pedal for metal)
B-52 (basically only does metal. loud.)
Peavey Windsor (not really a good option. if you get it, DO NOT BUY THE WINDSOR CAB)
Peavey ValveKing (I hate these amps, but you might like them)
Krank Rev. Jr (TRY THESE BEFORE YOU BUY THEM)

That's around your price range new; search eBay and craigslist for used stuff; buying used is almost always better.