Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.

My band has 2 people that want to be bassist's and ive had trouble deciding who to have but is it possible to have two bassist's in a band?
Short Answer = Yes
Hello, mother leopard. I have your cub. You must protect her, but that will be expensive. 10,000 cola nuts, wrapped in brown paper. Midnight, behind the box. I'll be the hyena, you'll see.
If they have the skill and co-operation required to complement one anothers playing, then yes. In most cases though having a pair of bass players rarely adds any positive aspect to a band (unless you are in an ultra experimental group that is).
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
go for it man, is it possible 2 hav 3 drummers ina heavy band? ussually no but look at slipknot, itd add an awesom sonic edge 2 your sound but i would reccomend gettin 2 guitarists in this case, otherwise th bass may drown out a single guitarist slightly

an your lucky, took me nearly 2 years to find an awesom bassist for my band!
Gear -

Gibson 1967 flying V (cherry)!

Marshall JCM2000 half stack

Boss SD-1

Check out my Metal band KickFist at www.myspace.com/Kickfist
JT Bruce I think recorded 2 bass tracks in one of his songs, one playing rhythm and one playing a melody. So it CAN work, but like Centurion said, if they have the skill and chemistry to play with each other, it can work out great. Most likely not, but there's always a chance.

I still haven't found a good bassist
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
The G3 tour plays a few songs with two bass players, one plays finger and one plays pick style, so it adds a bit of variation.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
they would need to be totally different, even unique, in terms of playing style - if they both play the same thing then there's no point.

one way I imagine it could work is one of them plays normally, the other basically plays like a guitar (lemmy from motorhead etc.).

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but If they're the kinds of bassists that don't see any possible problems with haveing two bassists in the band, it's probably not going to work,
go ahead though man, prove me wrong. music doesn't progess until folk experiment.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 27, 2009,
who wants to be a bassist..

nah.
what genre you playing?
if its something light then theres no need for two, just go for the best one.
but i wouldnt do it tbh.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
No, only one or two guitar, one bass, one drummer and a singer sounds good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist

keys, man, don't forget the keys!

have one of them learn keyboards if they're up for it - Its similar to bass in terms of philosophy I think.
Quote by The_Sophist

Very narrow minded.
You have enemies? Good. That means
you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -

Winston Churchill
It is doable, but you basically will have to make one of them play alot of high up parts and one play low down parts just so the frequencies don't clash as much
Quote by Badger Land
Very narrow minded.

It was also very sarcastic.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
You should probably also make sure they spend time together working on their tone.
If you're gonna have THAT much low end, then their tones should compliment one another.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Thanks for your help everyone now I don't need to kick anyone out of my band
Dont just take UG's word for it. Try it out, but if it doesnt work, dont be afraid to bit the bullet and kick someone, or find them a different job in tha band
Have one play a rhythm part, and the other one can follow melodies from vocals/guitar an octave or two down, it gives you a nice full sound, also, the rhythm bass parts should have a bass heavy sound, and the "lead" bassist needs lots of mids to cut through and sound like a melodic instrument.
Be sure to cover "Big Bottom" by Spinal Tap
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
It would theoretically work.

Theoretically.

Practice it to see if it does but like people are saying, one has to be more rythm, the other melody, and they have to compliment eachother and play uniquely.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
We could use a bassist - me and the other guitarist are always switching between bass and guitar and complaining about how boring bass is :P
Nottingham Forest for Championship 09/10!!!
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
It would theoretically work.

Theoretically.

Practice it to see if it does but like people are saying, one has to be more rythm, the other melody, and they have to compliment eachother and play uniquely.

I disagree. One doesn't HAVE to do anything. There is no percievable limit to the amount of creativity one is capable of. Tool, for example, basically don't have a bass player (from the tradition use of the instrument) since Chancellor play's it like a guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
I disagree. One doesn't HAVE to do anything. There is no percievable limit to the amount of creativity one is capable of. Tool, for example, basically don't have a bass player (from the tradition use of the instrument) since Chancellor play's it like a guitar.

Having 2 Bass playing the same exact thing though...with 1 guitarist...

They'd have to be adding seperate pieces, much like guitar 1 wouldn't be doing rythm parts 99% of the time.

You have to treat Bass I and Bass II like Guitar I and Guitar II IMO, if you want it to not sound dull and boring.

Also, I know Tool's bass player does that because I play bass and guitar to a few of their songs but it's not the same thing as the guitar parts.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
In this case, a second bass could provide opportunities for interesting dual-bass melodies while the guitars sit back and enjoy the show. Just remember, too many cooks spoil the stew, so don't think that 2 bass = good, 3 bass = better.
I appreciate your help everyone.
I will take all of your advice into account.
If nothing else, think of it like a Cello and a Double bass in orchestral music. Have one of them hold the low end down, and the other play in the higher ranges. I personally find the bass's upper register tone to be quite pleasing.
Nope, no sig here.
Me either, I record all my own bass parts.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by Mutant Corn
If nothing else, think of it like a Cello and a Double bass in orchestral music. Have one of them hold the low end down, and the other play in the higher ranges. I personally find the bass's upper register tone to be quite pleasing.

orchestras usually have more than 4-5 people though.

idk, i think itd be a little excessive.

people would definitely remember it though.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
It can work brilliantly, if you know some tight, expereinced musicians with great dynamics, timing and sense of melody.

However, if it's two inexperienced teenage kids, it'll sound like a muddy mess and should most definitely be avoided.

The most important aspect of bass playing is the abilty to lock into the groove of the drummer (specifically the bass drum) and hold down the foundation of the song. I honestly can't see what two bassists can do, that one bassist and a guitarist couldn't do better...
it could work
but everyones saying that one takes on a melodic role
and the other does simple time keeping patterns

if hes having to choose between them theyre obviouskly of similar ability
one will get pissed offf that he's been given the lesser role
they probably wouldnt like to share responsiblity either

the only way to counteract that is to switch between songs
but everyones saying the EQ would need changing on stage
eeek that spells disaster for a start no audience wants to wait why the bassists are re-eqing and also things are just likely to go wrong if your changing effects..

i think there could be band issues by doing this but it really i your choice
if you want to try it then go for it
just have to bear in mind you have two possible bassists at the moment
but if you piss them off you could be left with none
I saw a metal band here that had two bassists in it. I guess one played "lead bass"?

EDIT: Thread officially killed by...WANANA!!! JACK BANDIT!
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Mar 28, 2009,
We have not one, not two, but THREE bass players in our band.

#1(me): Plays a bluesy bass line in the really low registers on a five string or drop tuned four string.

#2: Harmonizes with me in the upper registers on a standard tuned four string, but does not play the exact same thing, she adds a few little extra things to get the melody to stand out.

#3: He is our effects guy, uses effects to add some pizazz to the bass line. Uses whatever bass he wants, in whatever tuning he wants.

Other then that, we have 4 guitarists, 3 keyboard players, and 2 drummers.

Our singer sucks.
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
I definatly need to hear your band.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Haha we have nowhere near us to record, but if you listen to Boogie Woogie Flu by Jonny Rivers, imagine someone playing a boogie woogie bass, someone playing the roots of the chords, and someone playing improv bass you'll get the idea, we're a really blues based band.
Oh, and during the piano solo, our two better keyboard players do a GH3 like keyboard duel. it sound pretty sweet, especially because their playing styles are almost the same, but with some interesting differences.
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
whatever happened to Freebass, that bass only band?
there are ways to integrate multiple bass parts, as some people have suggested.
but, it would probably be difficult for amateur musicians.
if they're naturals or have a great understanding of theory, it shouldn't be too problematic.
Page 1 of 2