recently i've been looking throughout these forums and have seen some very nice pedalboards causing me to think i can make my own.

currently i own only three pedals wah and 2 other pieces of junk... but this will begin to expand in the future!
I want to construct a pedalboard that can hold atleast 5 pedals. similar to one like Cutlass_253 has.

any advice as to how to construct it is appreciated.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Get wood, screws, a drill, a measuring tape,and a saw and have at it.

Its better if you draw it up first.
Measure twice, cut once.
Always drill pilot holes for screws or you will crack the wood.
so tomorrow i'm gonna get some more wood for the bottom of the pedalboard.

my plans are to have it be 18 in. by about 13.5 in.
Do they make boards that size or will i have to do some more sawing?
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
That seems like a good size. As long as your pedals are spaced out enough to hit individually.
how i built mine was
1.) drew up lots of different designs on ms paint & found the one that was most sensable
2.) measured my pedals & how wide they were lined up, and how big shelf i'd need
3.) decided on a board, and made a prototype out of cardboard and duct tape, and checked my pedals all fitted and were accessible on it
4.) cut the boards the size i needed them
5.) glued and nailed them together
6.) stained
7.) polyed
8.) sanded
9.) polyed
10.) sanded
11.) polyed
12.) put velcro on
13.) attached power strip
14.) enjoy
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by B. Heath
so tomorrow i'm gonna get some more wood for the bottom of the pedalboard.

my plans are to have it be 18 in. by about 13.5 in.
Do they make boards that size or will i have to do some more sawing?

u might end up with a piece of plywood, but there might be something close to that width
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Quote by Clutch32192
how i built mine was
1.) drew up lots of different designs on ms paint & found the one that was most sensable
2.) measured my pedals & how wide they were lined up, and how big shelf i'd need
3.) decided on a board, and made a prototype out of cardboard and duct tape, and checked my pedals all fitted and were accessible on it
4.) cut the boards the size i needed them
5.) glued and nailed them together
6.) stained
7.) polyed
8.) sanded
9.) polyed
10.) sanded
11.) polyed
12.) put velcro on
13.) attached power strip
14.) enjoy

could you get pictures of the end result? How long did it take for everything?
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
Wow, somebody mentioned my board...that's so kool, I should sig that.

Definitely measure everything out, and most importantly put your pedals on a piece of wood before you cut it. And not just the pedals, lay them out with cables and everything. Connecting 5 pedals takes a good amount of cable, make sure that you leave enough room between pedals, sides and behind, so that you can connect them to the power and step on them easily.

If you're gonna make a second tier for your back row of pedals make sure to leave room for the wah and get a decent piece of wood cuz you're gonna step on it. It doesn't have to be so thick you can stand on it, but something that feels thick enough to be stepped on.

Other then that you just have to worry about power. Also you can consider building it into a case like some people do (its useful if you play shows or move around a lot) or possibly building it on a slant so you don't have to build two tiers.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
You should sig that cutlass_253 and did you use any polyurethane coating on it?
also what type of wood did you use for the first tier? (bottom)
thanks again!
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
Quote by B. Heath
You should sig that cutlass_253 and did you use any polyurethane coating on it?
also what type of wood did you use for the first tier? (bottom)
thanks again!

No, I just used what I had on hand because i was planning (and still might) to add aluminum edges and carpeting, so I used a scrap piece of shelving (like a wall shelf) that was pre-painted except for on 3 of the edges. It's MDF (medium density fiberboard) I think, which means it's strong, but super heavy and doesn't like water (which should be ok cuz I NEVER want this anywhere near water). Really, I was going for cheap, so even the top wood is just plywood, but it's strong. If you use a real wood, you definitely should put some sort of protection on it, poly works cuz (I think) you can retouch it later should something happen. I'm not gonna bother putting poly on plywood cuz it's not that great looking, and if something happens to it I'll just put another piece of plywood on there (I have a lot laying around at my parents house).

EDIT: Oh, and just a tip cuz a lot of people have a hard time adding wah pedals to pedalboards, there's a bunch of different ways to do it, but since I didn't want to take the feet off mine, or add a wooden plate to the bottom which would make it even bigger, I drilled 4 really wide holes to put the feet of the wah into. Feel free to totally not do this if it sounds dumb, but if you do it right (and you gotta measure pretty carefully) you can drill just deep enough so that the bottom metal plate of the wah is just over the wood so that when you add the velcro it sits real tight. The only downside is that you can't really move the wah after that, but with my board that isn't an option anyway.

EDIT EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384847&page=89&pp=20

Clutch's board is on that page. Definitely nicer looking than mine, lol, but as you can tell it took a lot of hard work to get everything just right. Mine was a bit more "throw everything together."

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by B. Heath
could you get pictures of the end result? How long did it take for everything?

yeah, heres my end result, search pedalboard the my threads title is PeDaLbOaRd Build Pics!!!! that has my whole process, if you have any questions just ask on this thread, ill check back

Edit: forgot to answer your question, well the building only took about a day to build and a for glue to dry, the total process took me a week, because it was a cold week & our garage isn't well sealed so the poly took a long time to dry

& heres my pedalboard thread link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072298&highlight=pedalboard
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Last edited by Clutch32192 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Cutlass_253

EDIT: Oh, and just a tip cuz a lot of people have a hard time adding wah pedals to pedalboards, there's a bunch of different ways to do it, but since I didn't want to take the feet off mine, or add a wooden plate to the bottom which would make it even bigger, I drilled 4 really wide holes to put the feet of the wah into. Feel free to totally not do this if it sounds dumb, but if you do it right (and you gotta measure pretty carefully) you can drill just deep enough so that the bottom metal plate of the wah is just over the wood so that when you add the velcro it sits real tight. The only downside is that you can't really move the wah after that, but with my board that isn't an option anyway.

EDIT EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384847&page=89&pp=20

Clutch's board is on that page. Definitely nicer looking than mine, lol, but as you can tell it took a lot of hard work to get everything just right. Mine was a bit more "throw everything together."

i didn't even see u mention me haha ^that is a great idea for the wah, i ended up taking the rubber feet off the screws.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Quote by Clutch32192
i didn't even see u mention me haha ^that is a great idea for the wah, i ended up taking the rubber feet off the screws.

Yeah, but I wouldn't do it to a board as nice as yours!

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Quote by -MintSauce-
If you make another thread with a title in StUpId style, I'll get every regular from GB&C in a line, then we'll each insert a splinter-ridden pedalboard up your arse.

oh no!
please don't do that kind -MintSauce-!!!
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
Quote by B. Heath
oh no!
please don't do that kind -MintSauce-!!!

I only said it for lulz!

I'd like pictures, please. Designing a pedalboard seems to be a mammoth task, because you can never account for new/changing pedals, and your own needs as a player. There have been some really good ones on here, but I can't remember any names :\ And by that, I mean that the general construction has been of a decent calibre - obviously the design/layout's the part that's going to be totally personal. Do a bunch of sketches, and make some MDF mock-ups if you can, to get a feel for things.

Edit: Also, I mean no offence to people who do this, but I hate seeing velcro on pedalboards. I prefer little twin washers (like an 8) through the case screws of the pedals, then screwed to the board. Get yourself some wiring tacks too, to pin your cables to the bottom and stop them trailing.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
If you make another thread with a title in StUpId style, I'll get every regular from GB&C in a line, then we'll each insert a splinter-ridden pedalboard up your arse.

Wow...angry... maybe I should sig that instead.

Yeah, there are some awesome pedalboards. Also, look up TwoString's pedalboard tutorial here on UG, it might help you some, and TwoString is usually pretty smart about stuff.

EDIT:
Also, I mean no offence to people who do this, but I hate seeing velcro on pedalboards. I prefer little twin washers (like an 8) through the case screws of the pedals, then screwed to the board. Get yourself some wiring tacks too, to pin your cables to the bottom and stop them trailing.

This is very secure, and would work really well for somebody with a finalized board, but I change my pedals around a lot, and the thought of constantly having to unscrew pedals seems like a big hassle.

Quote by Zugunruhe

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Feb 27, 2009,
i went out to home depot with my dad today! we went and got a 2ft by 2ft board of plywood. yes not the prettiest stuff but it'll do. so we're gonna start construction soon and I was wondering if you had any last comments or things i should do to make it PERFECT!

Thanks
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz: