So I have my Boss GT-10 and I really really really like what it does for me. Problem is I cant seem to get my amp to work with it. And by work with it I mean I can't get the tone that I hear in my headphones or over our church's PA out of it through my amp. A guy at church told me what I need is not a guitar amplifier but a keyboard amplifier. From what I got from him is that a guitar amplifier has a specified range of tones its built for, as well as being build to overdrive and distort your guitar input. A keyboard amp (says he) has a much wider range of tones it needs to amplify so it doesnt hinder your sound and it is not built to distort just to amplify.

I guess I'm looking for anyone who agrees and can recommend me an amp...or for anyone that has another idea of what I could use to just amplify the sound coming out of my GT-10 and nothing else? Thanks in advance folks I appreciate it.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Last edited by CSUTremonti777 at Feb 27, 2009,
are you running it through your preamp? you shouldnt be... what you want is a power amp
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
You'll never get a fully accurate representation of how your GT10 sounds through headphones from an amp. Just run it through your amp's clean channel. It is true that keyboard amps have a wider frequency response than guitar amps, but in all honesty you shouldn't need the extra range, a normal guitar amp should be fine as long as you run the clean channel, with distortion from your GT10.

Alternatively, get a Crate Powerblock.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, try running your guitar into the GT-10, and the GT-10 into the return of your loop. It'll be like running it into a power amp.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
What about a nice Solidstate? Get something with as much power as possible to avoid clipping. Maybe a PA poweramp through a cab.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by Checker
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, try running your guitar into the GT-10, and the GT-10 into the return of your loop. It'll be like running it into a power amp.

This. As long as your amp has decent headroom you'll be fine.
Quote by Sonny_sam
You'll never get a fully accurate representation of how your GT10 sounds through headphones from an amp. Just run it through your amp's clean channel. It is true that keyboard amps have a wider frequency response than guitar amps, but in all honesty you shouldn't need the extra range, a normal guitar amp should be fine as long as you run the clean channel, with distortion from your GT10.

Alternatively, get a Crate Powerblock.

Just curious, what exactly would getting the Crate do for me? Oh and kudos on the avatar my friend...as you can see from my screen name I have a listen to Tremonti and company from time to time

Quote by Checker

Into the return? I tried it Guitar -> GT-10 -> FX Send on my amp but I didnt try return. But either way for some reason my amp doesnt like my pedal because at any sort of volume the amp feedsback when I'm not playing or muting the strings. I dont know if its my amp or my guitar but either way I'm really only using my amp as a cabinet as it stands right now.

Quote by OrangeWalls
What about a nice Solidstate? Get something with as much power as possible to avoid clipping. Maybe a PA poweramp through a cab.

Like a rack poweramp? I thought about a cab but I didnt know what I would need to make that work.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Last edited by CSUTremonti777 at Feb 27, 2009,
What you want is a power amp and use your gt-10 as a preamp in order to reproduce your tone as accurately as possible. Another option which is even better is to get an Atomic Reactor amp which uses your processor as a preamp and is powered by tubes on the power amp section. It'll amplify your tone and give you that "amp feeling" at the same time (something that pa's can't manage to fully make).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Into the return? I tried it Guitar -> GT-10 -> FX Send on my amp but I didnt try return. But either way for some reason my amp doesnt like my pedal because at any sort of volume the amp feedsback when I'm not playing or muting the strings. I dont know if its my amp or my guitar but either way I'm really only using my amp as a cabinet as it stands right now.

Into the send is gonna be bad news. If you plug it into the return you'll be bypassing your amps preamp section. Your GT-10 will be acting as the preamp, so you can imagine it as a tube powered GT-10.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Just get a PA. But he's right that a keyboard amp has a flatter and wider frequency response than a guitar amp. Some people like the tone from a guitar amp with their multifx. But if you are switching between a guitar amp and a PA you are going to have problems because each requires a different configuration wrt EQ and cabinet modeling.

Bypassing your preamp by plugging into the recv of your FX loop isn't going to give you the result you are looking for. You are still dealing with a guitar amp and cabinet.
Last edited by fly135 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by CSUTremonti777

The "Send" of an effects loop is also the preamp OUT...so inputting to that is . The return is poweramp IN, so by going Guitar->GT-10->FX Return you are basically skipping over the amps preamp, using the GT-10 as the preamp.

The other option is to run the GT-10 IN the loop, keeping the amplifier on the clean channel and running without any breakup.

What amp are you using, anyway? (Edit...disregard, see it in your sig).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by BaffAttack at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by evening_crow
What you want is a power amp and use your gt-10 as a preamp in order to reproduce your tone as accurately as possible. Another option which is even better is to get an Atomic Reactor amp which uses your processor as a preamp and is powered by tubes on the power amp section. It'll amplify your tone and give you that "amp feeling" at the same time (something that pa's can't manage to fully make).

That sounds completely perfect for my situation. Do you own one or have you played on one? And I guess would my Randall (putting the GT-10 into the return loop) be almost the same as the Atomic?
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by BaffAttack

What amp are you using, anyway?

Randall RG50TC, which its clean channel really isnt the greatest its really not all that clean. Especially when the clean boost kicks on.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Like has been said, the atomic reactor and Roland Jazz Chorus would work perfectly for your needs. They are pricey though, so I'd try using your current amp's power amp first.
Quote by CSUTremonti777
That sounds completely perfect for my situation. Do you own one or have you played on one? And I guess would my Randall (putting the GT-10 into the return loop) be almost the same as the Atomic?

No i don't own one (yet), and NO it will not give you the same result. If you would like to know a bit more about its sound try and PM ZeGuitarist and ask him about it. I know he has one and a GT-8 . The Atomic Reactor amps series is SPECIALLY designed to recreate processor's actual sounds and give better response and feel to the sound to make it more "natural."

http://www.myspace.com/atomicamps

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html

The Atomic Reactor amps series is SPECIALLY designed to recreate processor's actual sounds and give better response and feel to the sound to make it more "natural."
That's what a stereo does.
Quote by TheQuailman
So you think he should plug it into a radio? -_-

haha

I think he means a full, 5 disk changer, hi-fi mini component.

Last edited by evening_crow at Feb 27, 2009,
He would be better off plugging it into his stereo than buying a guitar amp. I say this because it's apparent that he's going between a PA and his home, and he want's to maintain the same sound. He got the right advice from his friend at church. Get a PA or a Keyboard amp.
Now I get it. Sorry for being a dick. There is a keyboard amp which is also a guitar amp at the same time: The Roland JC. I think that might work for him (but I want one myself, so maybe I'm biased).
The Roland JC is held up as the holy grail of clean amps, but I don't think it's the same as a Keyboard amp. Guitars don't sound very good straight into a PA (YMMV). So I doubt that switching between a clean guitar amp like the Roland and a PA will achieve the desired results.
It was designed as a keyboard amp, though I have not tried it with a keyboard yet. It sure won't sound like a PA, you're right about that. The problem I see for the ts is that a PA that he'd use at home (small, affordable speakers) probably won't sound like the one he uses at church either - it will be somewhat like it, but of lower quality (I've been using a multi-effects pedal and running it through PA's for the last two years as well - the small PA's usually are no fun). If he got a JC, he'd have a different sound, but a high quality one. I'd prefer that possibility.
Well the GT-10 has different output settings depending on what you're running it into...and it actually has a specific setting for a Roland JC-120 output. But I actually think I'm gonna go with the Atomic Reactor 212-50...I havent read one thing about the amp that I dont like. Thank you evening_crow for throwin that out there man I owe ya one!
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by TheQuailman
So you think he should plug it into a radio? -_-

It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by fly135
I've never heard that about the Roland JC. But you may be right.

Well, Roland claims that it's also a keyboard amp, but I've never seen anyone use it with a keyboard, so chances are it's not all that great for keayboards. All I know is that it works extremely well with processors.

Quote by danyellenik
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

Should have seen that comming.
I recommended the JC-120 back in the 6th post.

It will do exactly what you're after. The GT-8 was made with the JC series in mind (correct me if that's not entirely true but I've heard/read it in several places) and it's the perfect combination for it. (I should know as I have both ).

Anywhoooo, seeing as the GT-10 is just the next up from the GT-8 I'm certain it'll still be the ideal match.
404: Sig not found.
So, to summarize: what you need is a good poweramp, that will amplify the signal coming from the GT-10 (which acts as a preamp), and not add any of its own overdrive/distortion characteristics.

Here are your options:
- Plugging your GT-10 into the FX return of your Randall... this will bypass the Randall's preamp and use the poweramp only. The downside is, though, if your Randall isn't capable of "perfect cleans" like you said, you won't get the best reproduction of the signal coming from the GT-10.

- A keyboard amp. Like church guy told you, keyboard amps are designed to amplify a perfect reproduction of the signal coming into it. So, if you plug your GT into it, the amp's output will be very true to the sound you get through your headphones (which are basically designed for the same purpose!). Flipside is, though, that you won't get that characteristic sound guitar amps give you... which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what sound you're looking for.

- A Roland Jazz Chorus (JC-120) is a very nice SS guitar amp that will match up with the GT-10 perfectly. First of all, the JC-120 is he cleanest amp in the world, with a wide frequency response, but it's still a "guitar amp"... and like ChrisN said, the JC and GT series are designed to be the perfect combination. It's a very nice option, albeit pretty expensive!

- Your final option is to get a separate poweramp and cab. An example is the Atomic Reactor, which is a combo of a tube poweramp and built-in speaker, which is designed to match up perfectly with any modeller: it reproduces the sound faithfully, yet adds that tube warmth that's characteristic to tube guitar amps. I ordered mine, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive (as the only dealer in Europe is sold out right now, and awaiting a new shipment!).
Any other poweramp with a decent amount of headroom and a matching cab can do the job, though... but keep in mind that not all poweramps are designed to be "transparent", they usually add in their own sound characteristics!

Hope that helps...

Cheers!