I want to tune one of my guitars down to drop B, and have never done it before. I have been looking but I have no idea what strings I should use. If someone could suggest some strings, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Which guitar do you have?
Kind of bridge too would help.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Which guitar do you have?
Kind of bridge too would help.

I have an ibanez and a jackson. Both floyd rose style bridges, If I tune one down I would keep the other in standard.
25.5" scale then.

Do you use a particular brand or open for any suggestions?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
25.5" scale then.

Do you use a particular brand you use or open for any suggestions?

I usually use D' Addario, but I am completely open for any suggestion.
Your guitar will go to drop b without getting thicker strings. Thicker strings just make it hold a little better. Or so I've heard it keeps it in better, but I play my cheap nothing special Warlock anywhere between standard and drop a# and I never have problems. And my LTD stays in drop c, and I don't touch a tuner for months at a time with it, though it does have a floyd rose.

EDIT: since you're taking suggestions, SIT strings for sure.
Dont listen to Macabre_Turtle he's a ****ing idiot. You'll need at least .12-56 gauge strings for drop B or else the strings will be flopping all over the place
It depends on the guitar. Some guitars can go to really low tunings and sound great. If your guitar isnt like that, then get thicker strings. A set of ernie ball skinny/heavys would probably work.
SuperSpytotally sneaky
Depending on string gauge, you'll probably also need to adjust the springs in the bridge, otherwise it will be way off.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
My guitar is in B standard at the minute- standard strings and its definitely fine. I'd just be careful not to tune it down too fast or the strings might break from the change.

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
Quote by SinnaSatan
Depending on string gauge, you'll probably also need to adjust the springs in the bridge, otherwise it will be way off.

Well I know i'll have to adjust the springs, im using 9's lol. I saw online that you need at least 11 gauge strings, I was thinking ernie ball's slinky/heavy bottoms.
Quote by dfinch10
Dont listen to Macabre_Turtle he's a ****ing idiot. You'll need at least .12-56 gauge strings for drop B or else the strings will be flopping all over the place

Wow. Seems you don't even need to be in the pit to get flamed. Awesome.

I use .011 gauge strings and my guitar that is currently in B feels great. Actually, I think it may have .010 on it right now. Don't recall.
Go ahead and get at least a .012 though. I wouldn't wanna get them to big myself for the sake of being able to get back to standard and still be able to bend without snapping them, but since you're keeping the other guitar in standard anyway.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Wow. Seems you don't even need to be in the pit to get flamed. Awesome.

I use .011 gauge strings and my guitar that is currently in B feels great. Actually, I think it may have .010 on it right now. Don't recall.
Go ahead and get at least a .012 though. I wouldn't wanna get them to big myself for the sake of being able to get back to standard and still be able to bend without snapping them, but since you're keeping the other guitar in standard anyway.

to tell you the truth I really don't want to get .012 gauge =\ they are just to big for me. I was thinking about .011, but I want to find just a good brand and type of string, for drop B. Like I said I was looking at the ernie ball slinky top/heavy bottoms, but I'm not sure what would be good lol.
Quote by guitarfreak5341
to tell you the truth I really don't want to get .012 gauge =\ they are just to big for me. I was thinking about .011, but I want to find just a good brand and type of string, for drop B. Like I said I was looking at the ernie ball slinky top/heavy bottoms, but I'm not sure what would be good lol.

I haven't tried slinkys, nor do I use .012 myself. I think you'd be fine with SIT Power Wound .011. That's what I use for my floyd rose equipped guitar that stays in drop c.
You are going to have to do some extreme spring adjusting, fair warning! When I changed tuning and gauge from what came factory on it, I know it took me a few hours to get right, though that may have just been from inexperience with a floyd rose.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I haven't tried slinkys, nor do I use .012 myself. I think you'd be fine with SIT Power Wound .011. That's what I use for my floyd rose equipped guitar that stays in drop c.
You are going to have to do some extreme spring adjusting, fair warning! When I changed tuning and gauge from what came factory on it, I know it took me a few hours to get right, though that may have just been from inexperience with a floyd rose.

alright well i guess i'll just play around with the .012's or .011's. Oh and I know lol. Don't worry I have spent over 8 hours figuring out how to set up a floyd, and I know how to do it really well now.