i just recently bought a crate 65watt combo that is rated at 8 ohms and it has a speaker jack. say i wanted to buy a cabinet to get a louder sound, what would i have to get?
Quote by zeminion
i just recently bought a crate 65watt combo that is rated at 8 ohms and it has a speaker jack. say i wanted to buy a cabinet to get a louder sound, what would i have to get?

All you need is a speaker cable and the cab. A lot of people are going to quickly jump to tell you that adding a cab is not going to make it louder. Technically they are going to be right. BUT because of more speakers blowing at ya in different directions it will sound louder to your ears. Atleast it does to me when I hook a cab up to my combo. It sounds a lot louder.

You need a speaker cable and 8 ohm cab and you're good.
It seems a lot louder to me. For a few months when I was in between heads, I ran a 20 watt AVT marshall combo out with a AVT 4x12. Sounded good actually. Then sometimes I ran my 2nd cab with a Y splitter, so fullstack with a 20 watt head, I would run it at 10 and it would be just fine with my drummer.
Quote by 420BTBAM
It seems a lot louder to me. For a few months when I was in between heads, I ran a 20 watt AVT marshall combo out with a AVT 4x12. Sounded good actually. Then sometimes I ran my 2nd cab with a Y splitter, so fullstack with a 20 watt head, I would run it at 10 and it would be just fine with my drummer.

Yeah that's how it is for me. It makes it a lot louder. But theres always people on the forum who are going to get technical and tell ya it isn't. Just like the solid state is just as loud as a tube amp argument... I mean technically yeah... not to our ears though.
Quote by hcsn2008
All you need is a speaker cable and the cab. A lot of people are going to quickly jump to tell you that adding a cab is not going to make it louder. Technically they are going to be right. BUT because of more speakers blowing at ya in different directions it will sound louder to your ears. Atleast it does to me when I hook a cab up to my combo. It sounds a lot louder.

You need a speaker cable and 8 ohm cab and you're good.

with a combo of 8 ohms, you can safely use an 8 or 16 ohm cabinet. Cabinet does not have to match, just cannot be a lower ohm rating than your combo. BUT, you do need a speaker cable and not an instrument cable to connect the cab.
Quote by madh4ttr
with a combo of 8 ohms, you can safely use an 8 or 16 ohm cabinet. Cabinet does not have to match, just cannot be a lower ohm rating than your combo. BUT, you do need a speaker cable and not an instrument cable to connect the cab.

Depends on what amp it is. I don't know about the crates. It's best to just match it. So he should just go get an 8 ohm. But if he has to go 16 it's okay. But he should also make sure it will go 8 or 16 ohms in mono if it's a stereo cab. Because a lot of them will only go 8 ohm in stereo. I always match my ohms. I use 16 ohms though. I prefer 16 over anything else.
I run a closed back cab with my combos. I do it to add bass response to a bright open back combos. It works well and adds warmth and depth to the sound.
Quote by hcsn2008
Depends on what amp it is. I don't know about the crates. It's best to just match it. So he should just go get an 8 ohm. But if he has to go 16 it's okay. But he should also make sure it will go 8 or 16 ohms in mono if it's a stereo cab. Because a lot of them will only go 8 ohm in stereo. I always match my ohms. I use 16 ohms though. I prefer 16 over anything else.

no not really, 8 ohms is 8 ohms no matter what amp it is
16 ohms is 16 ohms no mattere what amp it is.
Quote by madh4ttr
no not really, 8 ohms is 8 ohms no matter what amp it is
16 ohms is 16 ohms no mattere what amp it is.

No that is not what I'm saying. It depends on what amp. Reason why is because some amp companies like Mesa actually recommend mismatching ohms. The reason for this is to get different sounds because the transformers can handle it. It even tells you that you can in the book.

On some other amps it advises you not to. So it depends on the amp if you can safely mismatch it. A cheaper amp I wouldn't do it. It has to have a good transformer.
I'm guessing that amp is SS and SS amps don't have output transformers. You can always go higher in ohms from the minimum recommended on a SS amp, but you will lose output power if you do.