why is Aug chords not used in diatonic scales? can someone explain to me.

thanks alot!
Because they don't exist within the diatonic scale. The theory sticky covers chord construction.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Because they don't exist within the diatonic scale.

^ + 1

If for instance, you harmonize the Major scale, all of your triads will be either major, minor or diminished.
I think it only occurs diatonically in the harmonic minor scale, and its respective modes.
"Sound:
it has a really good distortion and clean sound a little to much hum in the background but i guess thats why they call them humbuckers"

review on Zzounds
Last edited by Narchbishop at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Narchbishop
I think it only occurs diatonically in the harmonic minor scale, and its respective modes.

...which aren't generally considered diatonic.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
...which aren't generally considered diatonic.

What would you say then? "Naturally" occurs maybe?
Call me Batman.
Music is physics and chemistry. Of course it's natural!

I don't use the melodic minor so I know it's intervals and that's about all, but harmonic minor isn't so much an independent scale as it is a harmonic idea of making the V chord major in a minor key rather than minor as the natural minor scale yields. Yngwie and his followers use the scale on its own and that is fine, but 25 years of Yngwie doesn't usurp 500 years of Western music theory.
If the Whole-Tone scale is considered diatonic, then that'd have plenty of Aug chords, though I doubt it is.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I don't use the melodic minor so I know it's intervals and that's about all, but harmonic minor isn't so much an independent scale as it is a harmonic idea of making the V chord major in a minor key rather than minor as the natural minor scale yields. Yngwie and his followers use the scale on its own and that is fine, but 25 years of Yngwie doesn't usurp 500 years of Western music theory.

the harmonic minor was around before the natural minor.originally the harmonic minor was used for harmonising and the melodic minor was used for writing melodies.the modern natural minor is just a hybrid of these scales
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
The reason Augmented triads don't occur in the diatonic scale is because of the step pattern. There are no consecutive major thirds in the step pattern.

If you start on any note in the diatonic scales (Major, Natural Minor, or one of it's modes) and move up a major third and then up a major third from that note then one of the two notes will fall outside the diatonic major scale.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers
The reason Augmented triads don't occur in the diatonic scale is because of the step pattern. There are no consecutive major thirds in the step pattern.

right, good explanation
Quote by Eggmond
the harmonic minor was around before the natural minor.originally the harmonic minor was used for harmonising and the melodic minor was used for writing melodies.the modern natural minor is just a hybrid of these scales
That is incorrect. Harmonic minor came from lacking a leading tone (maj7) in the minor scale, so they raised to b7 to 7 for harmonic minor. This created a cool-sounding interval between b6 and 7, but it was difficult to sing, so they raised b6 to 6, creating melodic minor.

Talk to Arch if you have any other questions about the evolution of music theory. Anything I tell you is essentially quoting what Arch has said.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

IIRC, melodic minor is very similar to harmonic minor in the respect that it is not a seperate scale to natural minor.

Melodic minor evolved to get rid of the augmented second (which was considered melodically displeasing or somethign similar) in the harmonic minor, so if an ascending line was played leading to, for example, a V chord then the 6th and the 7th would be natural. However, when the 7 was not part of something that was resolving it could be flattened and in turn so could the sixth.

Also, "Music is Chemistry", how?

Edit:
I see you've written most of that stuff above, oh well.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Feb 27, 2009,
music is neuro chemistry
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
music is neuro chemistry
This is what I meant. The physics behind sound waves is obvious, but once the sound waves hit your ear, bones vibrate and stimulate nerves which causes an electro-chemical physiological reaction (like everything in the nervous system).