Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

Im sure its been asked before but its such a vague search that I couldnt find anything.

The question is how far can you bend a note, but in the context of playing. What I mean is, dont just go to your guitar and bend a note until your fingers bleed. While playing, and fluidly, whats the most you can bend a note?

I can bend notes about a 4th up. Just wondering whats the average amount people are able to bend.
I can bend it far, but I don't.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by toine
an octave

This post was funny, the next few not so much.

TS, I think what you're looking for is:
Yes, a fourth up is quite a lot (you do mean a perfect fourth, not four semitones,yes?).
Stop dicking around and give a serious answer.

A fourth is a 2 1/2 step bend; that's a big bend, about where I max out, though I could probably hit a tritone or a fourth if I didn't care about my strings breaking. You have to consider your strings breaking, however. Maybe you can hit that bend while performing, but you're screwed if that string snaps and proper fucked if you have a trem system like mine. Mu suggestion is to use a slide rather than a bend if you're going more than 1 1/2 steps.

A better way to measure your bending ability is to do bends near the nut. Sure, you can a fourth at the tenth fret, but can you bend the second fret of the G string up to a C (a minor third, 1 1/2 steps) with your index finger alone? (That comes from Steve Vai.)
I can bend em far with some 10s but I just dont dare cuz I get in mind the guitar strings broken up
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
sorry guys, I did not mean a fourth, I was in a hurry and i didnt doublecheck my post, I meant four frets, which would actually be a major third.

Sorry for the confusion!

Some of the answers made me lol...

anybody got some serious ones though?

btw I am using 10s with an .011 at the high e (I alternate between a .010 and a .011 depending on my mood while restringing).

Also I find that I can bend up a major 3rd no problem but trying to bend a fourth really hard, so thats pretty interesting I think; but I think it happens in any bend, iv noticed that once youre up a major 2nd you only have to bend it a bit to get a minor third and less and less as you go up, also interesting...

Im rambling, post your thoughts.
Last edited by rnelson at Feb 27, 2009,
You'll be able to bend up to a fourth before long, but you'll get nervous (with good reason) about breaking strings whilst doing that, so you will just naturally avoid the big bends.

What I find odd is that, and perhaps this is because I'm concerned about strings snapping, is that I bend the wrapped strings and sometimes G (I play 11s) much further than B or high E.
^ +1 i can bend about the same on thin gauge strings (like .09's) but as it stands and my .11's and .13's im glad to get a 2 step bend. if i tune really low (like C standard) i can get about a perfect 4th out of my low E if i bend the hell out of it.
perfect fourth
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by bangoodcharlote

What I find odd is that, and perhaps this is because I'm concerned about strings snapping, is that I bend the wrapped strings and sometimes G (I play 11s) much further than B or high E.

Same here, actually, I can do a perfect fourth from the 12 fret on the G string, but only a major third from the same place on the e string.

And to your comment about bending near the nut, I can bend from that A you mentioned to just short of the C but it takes me so much effort that I could never pull it off in any kind of musical contex.
^ srsly? i love to end a solo with a feaux dimebag bend by just bending up until i hear it match the pitch i want in my head (which can often be way up there, ive broken many many many strings doing this, but it always sounds awesome)
I said I can't do that. I can get a few cents above B but that's all. I think Vai's example was bending the second fret of high E to A with the index finger only, though.

Z, I bend up to high notes all the time, but I start my bend only a fret or two below the note to which I want to bend. I just don't use the huge whammy vibrato bends.
With my index i can easily bend a minor second and stretch it all the way to a major second if i put some muscle into it. But I mostly use my index for vibrato not really bending.

That Vai example is freaking CRAZY! though Im guessing he plays with super slinky strings + low action + plus a floyd rose which would make it easier to bend. Just a guess if anybody would care to correct me.
His comment was something along the lines of, "Can you bend the F# on the high E string up to an A with your index finger? Maybe if you're Zakk Wylde!" It's in his article on the 30-hour guitar workout.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I said I can't do that. I can get a few cents above B but that's all. I think Vai's example was bending the second fret of high E to A with the index finger only, though.

Z, I bend up to high notes all the time, but I start my bend only a fret or two below the note to which I want to bend. I just don't use the huge whammy vibrato bends.

i remember jamming one time with a friend of mine and bending the high e from the a on the 5th fret to the e above it at the 12th on some thin strings and my friends expression was priceless he was scared my string was gonna snap and go "tornadic" all over the room and just leave bloody carcasses in its wake. he was amazed that it didn't snap (i expected it to)

now with the strings i use if i want any more than a step wise bend i definitely have to reinforce my fingers if my guitars in standard tuning.
Bending up a fifth is going to break your strings quick. However, the snapped string can't leave a fatal injury without hitting a major blood vessel (wrist, neck, groin?). I'm sure it would hurt, though.

Regarding that movie where a cable snapped and killed everyone on a boat (Ghost Ship, I think) that scenario is ridiculous.
^ actually i had a .76 gauge string snap (it was my low E, i have a neck thru) and nail me in the face. it cut me up and swelled up a little but it wasn't really bad. i had a scar for quite a while from it.

i often play guitar with my groin so i will need to be more careful of not hitting a major blood vessel if/when the strings snap.

as for bending the F# to the A, is he talking about the second fret to the fifth or the 14th to the 17th? cuz higher up less of a bend is required and i dont think it'd be that hard. i'll have to try it on my acoustic when i get home and see.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Bending up a fifth is going to break your strings quick. However, the snapped string can't leave a fatal injury without hitting a major blood vessel (wrist, neck, groin?). I'm sure it would hurt, though.

Regarding that movie where a cable snapped and killed everyone on a boat (Ghost Ship, I think) that scenario is ridiculous.

Thats how my family died....

...now Im an orphan...thanks for forcing me to relive that experience...

^Where are you starting your bend and on which string? Can you bend the F on the first fret of high E up to A with just your index finger (don't answer that-I don't really care)?

Z, Vai meant the second fret. I've tried to do that bend and it's quite difficult. I don't recall if I've ever hit it without whammy bar help.
^ I just tried that bend on my acoustic and I think I could bend it all the way to A except that my fretting finger kinda goes over the other strings and it sounds like wet fart.
vai has huge hands which definitely help, cause you can put more force behind it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Z, Vai meant the second fret. I've tried to do that bend and it's quite difficult. I don't recall if I've ever hit it without whammy bar help.

i must try this when i get home. im sure i can if i reinforce it, but im not so sure about just the index finger alone.
Of course, for all practical purposes, has anyone ever needed to bend a string that far.... ever?

CT

(yeah, I know it's fun to discuss, but it really is a bit of a pissing contest....)
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Of course, for all practical purposes, has anyone ever needed to bend a string that far.... ever?

CT

(yeah, I know it's fun to discuss, but it really is a bit of a pissing contest....)

well of course you could get to any fret without bending but It will never sound the same as a bend. Ive bended to major 3rd while playing a solo (i dont do it often but it still has a unique sound that can be used if your technique and context are appropriate).

So maybe it is a BIT of a pissing contest, but not entirely.
When I had 10's on my guitar I was able to bend 3 octaves, but with 11's I can bend two at the most.

This is ONLY on the B and G strings.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.

I guess your guitar is about 40 ft long?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by rnelson
Hi guys,

Im sure its been asked before but its such a vague search that I couldnt find anything.

The question is how far can you bend a note, but in the context of playing. What I mean is, dont just go to your guitar and bend a note until your fingers bleed. While playing, and fluidly, whats the most you can bend a note?

I can bend notes about a 4th up. Just wondering whats the average amount people are able to bend.

i usually dont go higher than 3 semi tones. sometimes i venture into the 4 or 5 though. which is pretty tough on 12's. sometimes ill tune down to like C standard and do some pretty wide bends but im usually in Eb so its pretty tough to pull off really wide bends all the time. plus im kinda scared that ill break a string doing it.

edit: i just tried and got a 6 fret bend. im happy with that. 5 is enough with me. at least with five i can make it sound nice and put virbrato on it.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by tmfiore
When I had 10's on my guitar I was able to bend 3 octaves, but with 11's I can bend two at the most.

This is ONLY on the B and G strings.

do you realize what an octave is? from the open string to the 12th fret is an octave. so when you say you can bend two octaves you are saying you can bend essentially 24 notes. and 3 is just rediculous.
probably 4 or 5 half steps max, but i rarely ever do, if i want a note bent past 3 half steps, ill use the trem system lol

EDIT: i can get 2 1/4 steps on 12s lol
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
OH btw I can bend the 12th fret B string up to the 16th fret and a quarter or so (B string touches A string if correct.

I rarely do so, cause I find the sound to funny

I do like The Gilmour's 1 1/2 step bend from the Major 2nd to the perfect 4th.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2