I've got a 2006 Ibanez RG120...and I love the thing to death. Of course I would love to have a much higher quality guitar but for what this thing has done for me for the last 3 years...I just love it lol.

Question is tho...would it be worth dropping in a couple of nice EMG active pickups into this one? I mean all I've got is passive in there right now and I dont know what that would entail to change it from passive to active...but even dropping in a couple of passive EMGs

What do you think? Or should I just get another guitar lol
Elitists and Hypocrites
Personally, I'd say get a new guitar, its worth it, and eventually you'll probably want to change other parts of your Ibanez if you do put new pups in.
for that............ id probably just go with the new guitar.
Always Rock!
New guitar.
EMG 81/85 is the easiest "name" pickup combo to find stock.
Your cheapy isn't worth them really. Don't get me wrong, pimping up a cheapy is great, but the trem on yours is terrible and that isn't easily interchangeable.
I personally think EMGs are horrible, but I wasn't asked my opinion so don't pay any heed to it.
Quote by Rock Pig
New guitar.
EMG 81/85 is the easiest "name" pickup combo to find stock.
Your cheapy isn't worth them really. Don't get me wrong, pimping up a cheapy is great, but the trem on yours is terrible and that isn't easily interchangeable.
I personally think EMGs are horrible, but I wasn't asked my opinion so don't pay any heed to it.

Well the only reason I said EMG is just because they're kind of the industry name...what would be your suggestion for pickups? Not necessarily for this guitar but just for future knowledge
Elitists and Hypocrites
if u can afford it new guitar

if not i would just enjoy it and do with it what u please
u can find EMGs kinda cheap used if u look around

im takin mine outta my alvarez.. too hot for me
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by AXmichigan

u can find EMGs kinda cheap used if u look around

This. You like the guitar right? If you like how it plays and it has value to you, it's worth it. Find some used EMG's and do it. Probably cost you less than $100 if you solder them in yourself.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
do it.

find cheap emgs.

put them in, hate it? take them out put them in another guitar.

fyi, emgs dont care about the subtle nuances of the guitar.
so not a big chance you're taking here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by s12k17
for that............ id probably just go with the new guitar.

+1 on that. But....there are aftermarket pickups that can get the job done as well as EMG's, like Guitar Fetish. Check Ebay-there's plenty of inexpensive after-market pickups around so you don't have to spend the price of the guitar for new pickups.
If it were me,I would keep the guitar i love. If you think it plays good and it stays in tune and all of that,just keep it. You dont need a new guitar if you already have one you love.
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Just a question, why actives? Anyway if you really like your guitar keep it and put new pups in. Keep the stock pups for when you want to eventually sell it and swop them back.
I love upgrading current guitars. I am currently upgrading a Squier Bullet that will be better than any Fender in my price range, and for hundreds cheaper, by the time I'm done. Plus it will have everything I want, not whatever everyone else who buys that model gets.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Heres what I would do, I would get a new guitar right now with better pickups and quality then upgrade the RG later on if you feel you still would like to do so.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I was in a similar boat, I had a low end Ibanez for 4 years, and I loved and played it everyday so I was hesitant to buy a new one, but it's a much better idea than changing the pickups.
Inhuman evil take down!
in a cheap guitar emg's will be the best bet for good tone. EMG's sound similar in every guitar, so you will get the highest quality tone for the guitar quality. I'd rather get a new guitar if i were you. that guitar is super cheapy
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
It's funny that your amp kicks the **** out of your guitar.

Anyway if you still like the feel and playability of your guitar then see if you can find some used emgs or even dimarzios. Otherwise go ahead and treat yourself to a new guitar, because I wouldn't put too much money into an rg120 unless I had a second guitar of higher quality.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.