Page 1 of 2
I was just listening to some Between the Buried and ME and Opeth and they do some pretty wacky things like at that weird ho down thing at 11:45 from "Ants of the Sky" by BTBAM and that Super Marion thing at 5:50 from "The Lotus Eater" by Opeth. What do you thing are some of the strangest riffs or parts of metal songs? Please say the name of the song and the artist
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
Just because I'm listeningt to it, the riff at 0:39 in Day 69 by Decapitated, it's more percussive than the drums.
Quote by Metal_Militia2
I was just listening to some Between the Buried and ME and Opeth and they do some pretty wacky things like at that weird ho down thing at 11:45 from "Ants of the Sky" by BTBAM and that Super Marion thing at 5:50 from "The Lotus Eater" by Opeth. What do you thing are some of the strangest riffs or parts of metal songs? Please say the name of the song and the artist

Itd be a much better thread if you used examples of good music.

I dont really go for 'wacky' riffs, as they usually reek of gimmick. But anything off Gorguts - Obscura takes the biscuit here.

EDIT: And the opening riff to Demilich's Erecsryhinol.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
the xylophony-sounding bit in "champagne bath" by Sonata Arctica caught me by surprize the first time. I think it's the key-tar that plays it, but I'm not sure.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
Quote by Stranglehold

I dont really go for 'wacky' riffs, as they usually reek of gimmick. But anything off Gorguts - Obscura takes the biscuit here.

Pretty much anything Demilich is wacky. Still awesome though.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Stranglehold
anything off Gorguts - Obscura takes the biscuit here.

+1
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
The dissonance riff near the near of Psalms of the Morbidurn(sp) by defeated sanity is really sweet also the intro riff to Butchered Identity and aton of riffs off Fas by Deathspell Omega.
In the 2nd verse riff of The Unknown Guest by Cynic there's a lot of play/pause stuff, then there's a wierd fast descending riff which always made me laugh a little.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Most of Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale and Unexpect's In a Flesh Aquarium. You can't forget Obscura and Nespithe though.

Other mentions go out to Deathspell Omega - Fas, Age of Silence's Acceleration, Portal's Seepia and Outre, T.O.O.H.'s Rad a Trest and Solefald in general.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Feb 27, 2009,
2.30 into The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater gets me every time.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Metal_Militia2
that Super Marion thing at 5:50 from "The Lotus Eater" by Opeth.

Just before some twunt comes in here and starts whining about this...

NOBODY CARES IF IT'S JAZZ FUSION, IT SOUNDS LIKE SUPER MARIO.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
2.30 into The Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater gets me every time.

Freakin' Ragtime solo

Erm... I'll think of some & get back to this...

Also, Duncang, I don't think the fusion bit sounds like Mario at all....
the opening riff to Toxic Garbage Island by Gojira always struck me as very unique
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by blackenedktulu

Also, Duncang, I don't think the fusion bit sounds like Mario at all....

Well some people hear stuff differently but it's so silly to try and 'correct' people by saying it's jazz fusion...when nobody cares.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Anything off of Portal's "Seepia", Deathspell Omega's "Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeturnum", Demilich's "Nespithe", Gorguts' "Obscura", or Atrocity's "Hallucinations".
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
The chorus ruff in 'Satan Spawn - The Caco Demon' by Deicide is really weird. It sounds way too happy.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (1996, vintage white)
ESP Ltd EC-50 (2006, black)
Quote by duncang
Well some people hear stuff differently but it's so silly to try and 'correct' people by saying it's jazz fusion...when nobody cares.

So, so true...

Quote by OverCrown
The chorus ruff in 'Satan Spawn - The Caco Demon' by Deicide is really weird. It sounds way too happy.

The sheep or...?
Quote by Stranglehold

That's what I was going to say.
Quote by CTFOD
In the 2nd verse riff of The Unknown Guest by Cynic there's a lot of play/pause stuff, then there's a wierd fast descending riff which always made me laugh a little.

The riff after Paul says mother tongue is pretty weird too.

Ants by the Devin Townsend band is made up of bizarre riffs, the vocals are even more bizarre though. The intro riff to spinning by Spiral Architect is strange too.
Quote by Sylvanus
The riff after Paul says mother tongue is pretty weird too.

Ants by the Devin Townsend band is made up of bizarre riffs, the vocals are even more bizarre though. The intro riff to spinning by Spiral Architect is strange too.

I love that song right now. And a lot of their songs are pretty bizarre, at least technicality-wise.

Can't forget a bunch of avant-garde bands, like uneXpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Ephel Duath...
Quote by EZLN libertad
the opening riff to Toxic Garbage Island by Gojira always struck me as very unique

+1
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
I can't remember what song off of Dream Theater's Train of Thought it is, I think it's Endless Sacrifice where there's a long instrumental part that just breaks into a piano bit that's just totally out of place.
Quote by Blacktooooooth
www.myspace.com/grotesqueaustralia

these guy's are the most innovative band ive ever heard

listen to chaos theory it blows my mind i cant even make sense of it all

they really underground but setting the bench mark

How the fuck are they in any way innovative? Just sounded like normal wanky tech-death to me. Yeah, they were better than I was expecting, but I was expecting some pseudo-experimental Deathcore garbage, so that's not saying much.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
haha yeh na guitar technique
wise with those raked harmonics or whatever they are
i dunno i guess im getting way too over enthusiastic but yeh that song is
really whak with the way its structured
Quote by Stranglehold

Go away.

TS, few BTBAM songs come to mind. The entire of Laser Speed, the accordion section in Prequel to the Sequel. Tons of stuff by uneXpecT. Few SiKth songs. Just go for any prog/avant garde metal band and you'll hear the weird and wacky things you're looking for.
For a speed/power band, Helstar's The ***** of Babylon is kind of weird riff-wise.

EDIT: Wh0re is censored?
Quote by Contraband
Most of Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale and Unexpect's In a Flesh Aquarium. You can't forget Obscura and Nespithe though.

Other mentions go out to Deathspell Omega - Fas, Age of Silence's Acceleration, Portal's Seepia and Outre, T.O.O.H.'s Rad a Trest and Solefald in general.

Basically this, along with that weird polka bit in Dance of Death by Maiden. I always got a funny wtf whenever that part came on.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Listen to any song from Inhuman Grotesqueries by Malignancy. But especially like 0:17 in their song Xenotransplantation from the album Inhuman Grotesqueries and 0:12 in Organic Machinery from the same album. Also, anything by Behold...The Arctopus.
Megoladon by Mastodon, that random country kind of riff right after Troys like "Tear right to pieces, a watery grave" part then it gets realy thrashy after that riff
Quote by randyaintdead82
Megoladon by Mastodon, that random country kind of riff right after Troys like "Tear right to pieces, a watery grave" part then it gets realy thrashy after that riff

this is the first thing i thought of. that riff is sick

also the one part of the solo in Death's 'Overactive Imagination' sounds like a carnival song. (2:15)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYy2bki-q9E
Quote by Contraband

This post says what I would.

However, there is more out there I'm sure. I just dont feel like thinking.
Quote by rush4life
I can't remember what song off of Dream Theater's Train of Thought it is, I think it's Endless Sacrifice where there's a long instrumental part that just breaks into a piano bit that's just totally out of place.

It is Endless Sacrifice, that's what I was going to go with

It always sounded like something straight out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon to me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Page 1 of 2