Page 1 of 2
I am beginning to develop a slight arthritis from guitar playing so I am selling it and looking to get into something else. I REALLY want to play the harp, but would that be just as likely to cause this condition? I cant find anything suggesting whether or not on google. I'd also like to know about piano. I'm looking to start playing an instrument that I can practice all day for the rest of my life, get really good at, and not have to worry about developing conditions like I have to with guitar. Please give me recommendations ill look into anything except drums I want to play something melodic.

Thanks in advance,
POTFORTY2
Keep playing guitar and take some Aleve.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Hmmm, harmonica? That'll be cool, just make sure no one with aids uses it and you'll be fine
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by lee 31392
Hmmm, harmonica? That'll be cool, just make sure no one with aids uses it and you'll be fine

fail.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
You're doing it wrong.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I assume by harp you don't mean harmonica?

Yeah, personally I'd go with piano, and ignore people telling you you're doing it wrong on guitar. If things are going wrong like that, I don't generally blame you for moving to another instrument
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by bendystraw
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

Is a Spongebob qoute an Instrument?
MichaelEMJAYARE
Quote by bendystraw
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No, bendystraw, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

...Horseradish isn't an instrument either.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
As far as I know, every instrument uses hands and fingers in some way

So either kazoo, or find a way to warm up before you play
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I assume by harp you don't mean harmonica?

Yeah, personally I'd go with piano, and ignore people telling you you're doing it wrong on guitar. If things are going wrong like that, I don't generally blame you for moving to another instrument

Na I mean stringed. I was fine with electric guitar only slight discomfort, I didnt start getting problems till I moved to steel stringed acoustic. Then I read all over the internet you can develop arthritis from guitar and its incurable. **** that, I practiced 6 hours a day I dont want that **** I am already losing control of my hands (spasms and stiffness) and getting severe aches my knuckles on my left hand are huge compared to my right. I quit playing for several months and I still have it. So pretty much every instruments causes this that's what the jokes are telling me? I wanted a single answer or serious recommendation but you all think its funny to be full of ****.
Quote by kxy1992
haha you cant get arthritis from guitar

Can you send me a link to back that up?
Quote by POTFORTY2
Na I mean stringed. I was fine with electric guitar only slight discomfort, I didnt start getting problems till I moved to steel stringed acoustic. Then I read all over the internet you can develop arthritis from guitar and its incurable. **** that, I practiced 6 hours a day I dont want that **** I am already losing control of my hands (spasms and stiffness) and getting severe aches my knuckles on my left hand are huge compared to my right. I quit playing for several months and I still have it. So pretty much every instruments causes this that's what the jokes are telling me? I wanted a single answer or serious recommendation but you all think its funny to be full of ****.

I was being serious, the theremin is lika a synth, but you don't actually have to make contact with it to produce any sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by wokketywok
If you play with right technique, and warm up properly before playing, you won't develop arthritis.

Other words: YER DOIN' IT WRONG ((

How do you warmup? What's the "right" technique?
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I was being serious, the theremin is lika a synth, but you don't actually have to make contact with it to produce any sound.

Na I posted that before you, I was talking to the people telling me to play the penis bong and triangle **** like that lol. Idiots... Thanks.
Triangle?
Whistling?
Cymbals?
Dijoredoo (Spelling? The Australian blow pipe thing)
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by POTFORTY2
How do you warmup? What's the "right" technique?

The right technique is the one that doesn't put any stress causing pain. You should know correct technique for everything you do when you learn it.

That's one reason it's not very good to teach yourself.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
The spoon?
Epiphone SG-G400.
Crate Flexwave 15W
Korg Toneworks Modeling Signal Processor AX3G
I believe he suggested the penis GONG, not bong. You should try to take these suggestions a little more seriously. It's arthritis, for God's sake.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-

I always thought it'd be epic to have a Kazoo orchestra.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

My friend has one. Its weird to play but not really what you could practice 6 hrs a day. The intro for "Good Vibrations" is with one, as is every 60s space or horror movie.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

Composer Garry Schyman used a Theremin for the musical score of the 2005 videogame Destroy All Humans![25]

This automatically makes the theremin one of the most awesome instruments ever. Plus it's just cool.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by POTFORTY2
Can you send me a link to back that up?

what kind of arthritis do you have?
Quote by kxy1992
what kind of arthritis do you have?

I dont know but I have yet to have read that its impossible for guitar to cause arthritis, everyone is different and it is possible for certain people. I am curious as to were you get your info.

I take serious recommendations serious, what the **** is a penis gong? Its a joke idiot and I am serious.

I never heard of a right technique that relieves stress, how else can I play? That sounds ridiculous. Then I have to re-learn everything because its so different than what I am already doing?
Quote by POTFORTY2
I dont know but I have yet to have read that its impossible for guitar to cause arthritis, everyone is different and it is possible for certain people. I am curious as to were you get your info.

I take serious recommendations serious, what the **** is a penis gong? Its a joke idiot and I am serious.

I never heard of a right technique that relieves stress, how else can I play? That sounds ridiculous. Then I have to re-learn everything because its so different than what I am already doing?

Are you ****ing kidding? There's a reason there's correct and incorrect technique.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Page 1 of 2