I have a Laney VC30 1x12 combo, but i'm looking to get one of the VC30 extension cabs to get a fuller sound, because on the floor, the amp doesn't have enough presence in the mix, but when raised up, the bass response is lost, which is fine for my soul/funk/r'n'b type band, but i'm forming a power trio and need that presence as well as the bass response, so i figured getting another cabinet and putting the amp on top of it would allow the amp's internal speaker to keep the high end clarity while the extension cab projects the bass better. (although feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken)

however, i can't decide whether the 1x12 or the 2x10 is better for me and have no way of trying them out... so can someone describe the general sound differences between 1x12 and 2x10 cabinets, sound wise? i just need an idea of it really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm fairly sure the internal speaker is disconnected when you use an external cab. If that's true, it's a pointless exercise unless you get a 2x12+.
Quote by Horlicks
I'm fairly sure the internal speaker is disconnected when you use an external cab. If that's true, it's a pointless exercise unless you get a 2x12+.

couldn't you connect both (provided the extension cab is 8ohms) and set the impedance to 4ohms? i thought that's what the impedance switch and separate external speaker jack were for.

(i have no faith in knowing what i'm doing with this kind of thing, which is why asking! )
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Horlicks

Not necessarily. Many combos have separate inputs so that you can plug an additional cabinet into them.

Unless you mean the Laney specifically, cuz I've never played one, so I wouldn't know...

For example, my mesa combo has 3 inputs, one at 8 ohms, and two for 4 ohms so that I can plug in 2 separate 8 ohm cabs.

I'm guessing that the 1 x 12 will give you more mids, while the 2x10 will give you more highs, and possibly lows because they can push more air.

that's just a guess though.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Cutlass_253
Not necessarily. Many combos have separate inputs so that you can plug an additional cabinet into them.

Unless you mean the Laney specifically, cuz I've never played one, so I wouldn't know...

the VC30 has a separate output jack for an external speaker.

Quote by Blompcube
the VC30 has a separate output jack for an external speaker.

Yeah, so you would plug in another cab the same ohmage as the combo cab and flip the switch to change the head's output ohmage...or something like that.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Horlicks

AFAIK thats only with the 15, ironically the only one which really needs one

anyways, a common bass rig is 1x15 and a 2x10, one for bass and one for highs

but if its more "presence" you're after i'd just get the biggest one there is

even if you dont, just get the biggest one there is
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
AFAIK thats only with the 15, ironically the only one which really needs one

anyways, a common bass rig is 1x15 and a 2x10, one for bass and one for highs

but if its more "presence" you're after i'd just get the biggest one there is

even if you dont, just get the biggest one there is

they only have 2x10 or 1x12 for the VC30 cabinets. Although i don't have to go for one of the cabs designed for the VC necessarily, that's more of a price and "it looks just like my amp!" thing really.

i also think a 4x12 is a bit impractical for my needs. in short I want the clarity i get with the amp up on a chair or a stand, but without losing the additional bass created by having the speakers nearer the floor.