Well, the title says it,

If someone plays loads of Rock Band/Guitar Hero (Guitar Instrument) do you think they would help or disadvantage them on real guitar?

Ive been playing real guitar for about 3 weeks - 1month, but ive been playing guitar hero for just over a year. I can 5* every song apart from dragonforce on guitar hero 3, and 5* all but 5 songs on rock band 1 and 2 combined so if i play rock band alot still will it harder for me to learn real?
It won't hurt you unless you devote all your time to it, rather than playing the real thing.

That said, the only thing it can really help you with is finger coordination.. which even then probably isn't that much help..
It depends. If you devote more time to the game than practicing you may not improve and might even get worse.
as long as your ego doesnt get in the way eg. flashing off ur raock band acheivments, it should just be the same. the may be a few differences but it should effect you noticably
There is more than one thing i have to say...
I agree with dark&broken, it's only going to be detrimental if you spend more time playing Rock Band than you do guitar. And I suppose it could help with your sense of rhythm a little.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Guitar Hero helps me a bit in keeping in time and a little legato but thats about it.
I play it for fun mostly.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
yea i think it hurts for sure if you do it a lot....but it helps you hear how music is written a little better, at least i hear some parts when i do it that i didn't konw where there but may use something similar one day over a part....maybe its just me
my music....so check it out

www.myspace.com/copperchild
ummm no. you're are just fine if you play either of them...

does playing guitar make you bad at rock band? its just the same the other way around.
I wouldn't worry about it. If anything it will build muscle in your fingers. It isn't a suitable replacement for actual practice though, as said before.
It doesn't make you any better.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I can play guitar like a mother****er, and yet I suck at Guitar Hero.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
i say a definitive NO!

it works on one dimension... length, as in only has 5 frets and no strings. so when it comes to playing real guitar not only have you gotta remember more than 5 friggin buttons but finger placements up and down on strings too.

i just can't stand them type of games, defeats the point of an instrument, to learn and appreciate.

i don't like it when people say things like.. "i can play a dragonforce song on guitar hero bet you can't on your guitar"

well 1 no because herman li is ridiculously more talented than me
and 2 i'm not into that kinda music so don't even bother practising
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Screw video games, play the guitar man.

+1
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
It doesn't make you better, and by wasting your time with that plastic contraption thats less time you'll spend on actual music so...yes, yes it does.
I liked guitar hero not because it simulated the instrument (it doesnt) but because it has a variety of music. Before playing one on gh3 i had hardly heard any metallica, but now i have all their albums except from load to st. anger. all because of guitar hero... o god how lame am i?
It doesn't make them bad, I think it can only be good, as the guitarists playing those games are also keeping their finger muscles working, which can only benefit their playing.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by A Bad Guitarist
I liked guitar hero not because it simulated the instrument (it doesnt) but because it has a variety of music. Before playing one on gh3 i had hardly heard any metallica, but now i have all their albums except from load to st. anger. all because of guitar hero... o god how lame am i?

You're not that lame, just a bandwagoneer

OnTopic: It depends. If you spent way more time on GH than actual guitar, then yes, it will affect your guitar skills. But that can be said about anything that is possible to do in this world. School, work, TV, books, The Pit, it's all making us just a tiny bit worse at guitar But just a tiny bit, so we can live with it.

But as I said, spending 3 hours on GH and one hour on real guitar will of course affect your skills more negatively than if it was the other way around.

Just my two shillings.
Enjoy.

S t a i r s s r i a t S