Hi guys, I've been a UG fan for quite a while and I've got a few really small issues with my guitar that I was hoping you guys could help me out on. I've got an old Ibanez Destroyer that a friend surprised me with after my first guitar died on me, but it's had kind of a hard life. He got it from a pawn shop after scouting it out for a few weeks, so I don't know exactly what it's been through, but between that and my only playing space being very cramped it's managed to gather some (albeit small) dings, dents, one or two light scratches, and even a spot on the front of the body where something fell on it and a tiny piece of paint chipped off down to the wood (Trust me, I felt every bit of that one -_-). It has a black body with an ivory-colored trim around the front of the sides (I'll try to get a picture up, but my camera's batteries died and I'm pretty broke right now). Does anybody knew of anything I could do to polish or fix it up a bit? Please don't post anything with a huge risk involved in trying it, my goal is to make it look better, not make it worse. It still sounds fine, so I don't want to try anything that could compromise that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(As a side note, the neck has felt really dry lately and I've heard it's supposed to have a little bit of moisture in it, is this something I should worry about? I've started putting a little bit of Finger Ease lubricant on it and that seems to have helped a little.)

EDIT: Also, I'm really new to these forums and couldn't find any section for equipment upkeep, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
Last edited by GuitarNinja2000 at Feb 27, 2009,
Since theres cracks(to the wood) and scratchs i wouldnt recomend using a paste polish it will stick in those spots a leave a nasty white residue, use a spray cleaner, the make special ones, but something for around the house works fine.
RJSB
let it be banged up a bit, my old DII is banged up quite a bit too, especially on the wings
really, i think it gives it character

they are tools, and every ding is a story
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
only guitars you dont wanna bang up are guitars that cost over 3 grand or are historical pieces that arn't made anymore. Personaly i love seeing artists playing gigs with Taylor 514s with banged up faces and pick scratches into the wood untill it looks like its 50 years old. its a sign of a true musician. look is one thing, sound quality is another.
Since theres cracks(to the wood) and scratchs i wouldnt recomend using a paste polish it will stick in those spots a leave a nasty white residue, use a spray cleaner, the make special ones, but something for around the house works fine.

Ok, are there any brands you would recommend to use or avoid using?

I agree with everyone else that a worn look gives it character, but I also think that when you take the time to fix any scratches and keep it in good condition you bond with it, in a different way than you would by playing it.
Dunlop makes a set of products that I use to clean/polish/generally take care of my guitar, and I really like it.

I know you can get the individual products, but I just picked up the "System 65 Guitar Mainteneance Kit" and it comes with a couple of cloths, a fret polishing cloth, Fingerboard cleaner and conditioner, string cleaner/conditioner, cream of Carnauba for filling/polishing minor scratches and stuff (it also restores the shine to your guitar) and a spray cleaner/polish that will take care of all your smudges and finger prints.

I really like it, I try to give my whole guitar a thorough going over once every couple times I restring it.