Hello EG forum. For a while now ive been contemplating buying a strat, a new amp and maybe a decent cheap pedal or two if im feeling indulgant.
I wanted an older more vintage tone, and i especially like tones like hendrix -obviously- so naturally i started looking at the reissues and primarily the 60s as a logical starting point.

So i looked at all 3 models i can get, read reviews. Managed to try out the classic player.
But they all seem to have raving reviews, and the classic player felt quite nice.
So what fundemenally is the difference between the:

Classic ‘60s Stratocaster
Classic Player ‘60s Stratocaster
American Vintage ‘62 Stratocaster.

Obviously the classic player is a mex, whilst the other two are american.
So is there a real noticable gap between the vintage '62 and the classic player?

The two american ones do have quite a dearer price tag, so is it really worth forking out?

thanks in advance
Quote by vinyl_countdown
for the record, you're on UG, not EG

and i haven't a clue on the difference...

For the record, he knows he is on SITE, UG. You'll find that this FORUM is called "Electric Guitar".

DON'T BE A DOUCHE BAG!!!! So many douche bags get shown up here, DON'T TRY IT.

To be on-topic, all those guitars are awesome, and i hope you do choose one of them. If you can afford the 62' re-issue, i'd choose that one.
Quote by vinyl_countdown

He means electric guitar forum!!!

Sorry i cant help you man
Quote by McShredder

To be on-topic, all those guitars are awesome, and i hope you do choose one of them. If you can afford the 62' re-issue, i'd choose that one.

Yeah, their reviews where all fantastic. Made me wonder if they are actually that good or is it only the people who like them making them

Also the more money i spend on the guitar, the less i have for the amp so i need to find some kind of balance, which is why i asked is the difference great

Quote by vinyl_countdown

and i haven't a clue on the difference...

and your spending your friday night e-thugging, hows life working out for you?
If you are after a certain tone, the amp is more critical than the guitar. How much do you have for an amp? I would spend about 75 % of my budget on the amp, because a great guitar through a marginal amp sounds OK, but a marginal guitar through a great amp sounds stellar.

I would go used.

Is this for gigging or just playing around the house? I would lean towards a Marshall if you want the Hendrix tone...if you spend about 1200 bucks used you can get a 1987 head with a decent used 4x12 cab.

You should be able to get a used american standard strat for around 800. Spend another 50-150 on an OD pedal and you will have everything from the Hendrix sound to SRV. Get a fat strat or something with humbuckers like a Gibson SG or LP and you will have the Zepp, ACDC, Sabbath tone.

Depending on the pedal you can get to Van Halen and decent 80's and 90's metal tones. It wont cook with gain like a newer type of Marshall head to get the modern metal or nu-metal tones, but the right pedal or a scooped EQ can approximate them quite well.

This set-up would nail the vintage tones though. One thing, it will be loud. There are other options for something a little more user friendly and probably cheaper, like a JCM 800, JCM 900 or DSL, although they won't do the vintage stuff quite as well, they will sound better at lower volumes and do the more gainy modern stuff. Figure you can save a couple hundred or more on them depending on the model.
Oooh, a used 1987 type head is probably more like 1000-1200 alone. I was thinking they'd be more like 700-900. A good 4x12 Marshall cab is around 400-450. This is on the used market. In the states, craigslist has some sweet deals, depending on your closest city, it is the best place to look for used gear that I have found.
Ok, the wall of text from the guy above can summarised as thus;

Amp > Guitar

I would advise something along the lines of a Vox AC15, depending on what you want from your amp.

Honestly, the Fender Blues Junior goes fantastically well with any Fender guitar.

Are you looking for a small amp or a nice big half stack?
Quote by McShredder
Ok, the wall of text from the guy above can summarised as thus;

Amp > Guitar

I would advise something along the lines of a Vox AC15, depending on what you want from your amp.

Honestly, the Fender Blues Junior goes fantastically well with any Fender guitar.

Are you looking for a small amp or a nice big half stack?

i do expect to be gigging with it, nothing on that large a scale though for now, so i think a 50 watt tube might do? i read on the stickies and stuff and they are really quite loud aparently so i was thinking that might do.

although i am taking measures, and my time to make sure i make an educated decision so my opinions might change.
Hmm... The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is also a very nice amp, and is gig worthy.

What i found was good was to get a list of all suitable amps for you (from UG tbh, try the GG+A forum) and then go out and try them all.
Quote by Adamtbh
i do expect to be gigging with it, nothing on that large a scale though for now, so i think a 50 watt tube might do? i read on the stickies and stuff and they are really quite loud aparently so i was thinking that might do.

although i am taking measures, and my time to make sure i make an educated decision so my opinions might change.

what kind of gigging and what type of music?

In anycase, the way they break down is that the "classic player" is made with the working musician in mind, sort of a weekend rockstar. It's a little more no-frills compared to their '62 RI. The Classic Player does have "custom shop" pickups, which some people do swear by, me personally? Not a big fan of Fender pickups, but it's just an opinion. I'm not 100%, but I believe the Classic Player actually has a radius that's a little more "modern" than that of the 62 RI, as well as a poly finish, instead of a nitro finish, like the '62 RI. Some people will tell you that a nitro finish sounds better than a poly, but I've never been able to tell the differece. the '62 RI is more of a collectors item, though. It's very nice and plays well, but... I'd rather get the Classic Players guitar.

The MIM 60's style guitar is pretty much just a MIM guitar with 60's looks and features. The pickups and hardware are nicer than what you'd find on the MIM standards, but not by a large margin. This would be my personally choice, as I would then install some nice Seymour Duncan pickups in it.

If you're still shopping for an amp, though, your best bet would be to get the MIM, new pups and spend more on your amp.

The AC15 was suggested earlier, and I want to say: while it's a nice amp, it's just not as good as a full fledged 30. The AC30 is my personal favorite amp, but it's not too versatile. The AC15 still sounds great, but it doesn't capture that "30 watt" sound that AC30 has.

Also, honestly... 50watts is MORE than enough for gigging. I have a 30 watt Vox that I gig with and the volume rarely gets turned up past the 12 o'clock position. I also have a Marshall 100watt halfstack that I actually ran at 50watts with only 2x12 in the amp running when I gigged with that.

For the amp, you really gotta go out and check out all the amps you can, and use the guitar you're going to be playing through it if you can. If you want a "certain" sound, people will tell you that you "need this amp to get that sound," but suprisingly, it's not true. I can coax a lot more sounds out my AC30 than people give the amp credit for. While it's a wonderful, jangley clean amp, it's also great for blues and rock and actually has the best low-end I've ever heard. My Marshall JCM actually has some good, spanky cleans that are reminiscent of a Fender, only a little tougher, great SRV tones out'a that.

But, when you do check out amps, don't just get one sound out of the amp you're trying: play with the dials and switches, see how it saturates, where it breaks up, make sure you like the cleans and the dirties, makes sure that it's everything you want, not just one sound.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Adamtbh

Classic ‘60s Stratocaster
Classic Player ‘60s Stratocaster
American Vintage ‘62 Stratocaster.

Obviously the classic player is a mex, whilst the other two are american.
So is there a real noticable gap between the vintage '62 and the classic player?

Both the classic series and the and the classic player series are made in Mexico and out of those two i would have bought the CP 60's but if you do have the money go for the AV 62' Reissue
Thomme makes some excellent points. Try a bunch of stuff before you make a decision. Vox, Fender and Marshall all make excellent amps that have that classic rock tone if that is what you are going for. I am sure there are many other good ones out there too. I personally prefer the Marshall, but that is totally subjective.

As far as wattage, don't get too hung up on the number, every amp maker is a little different and depending if you want clean or distortion, 15w can be loud enough for gigging. Generally you want more watts for cleaner sounds, as they can get louder without distorting. Although they are great amps, nobody really needs all the power in a 50w marshall stack, as a venue big enough to need that kind of loudness would have a PA system. An 18 watt Marshall 'bluesbreaker' amp is plenty loud for gigging if you want a dirty sound, but if you want loud cleans, 85w fender twin reverbs are famous for that.

If I recall correctly, the differences in total volume are logarithmic, so a 50w is only twice as loud as a 5w for peak power. The main difference is headroom, or how loud it will get before distorting.
Last edited by Chetbango at Feb 27, 2009,
I own the classic player strat and it is a great guitar. It nails the classic hendrix tone when i play it through my v16. It can do chili peppers type tones as well. I got it before they upped the price so at 635USD i got at a steal.