Poll: Which model would you pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which model would you pick?
PRS CE 22 or 24
17 49%
Carvin C6T carved top
18 51%
Voters: 35.
Well,I'm in the market for a new guitar and I wanted something with a PRS style flavor to it.I was going to get a CE model but then I got the chance to play a Carvin CT6 carved top model,and now I'm conflicted.I love both models,and they cost about the same,and have very similar features, so I can't decide.It'd be really helpful if you guys could give me your thoughts,opinions,or experiences with these models and what one you'd pick if you were in my shoes.I'll be using the guitar for clean blues and classic rock through a 2x12 Peavey JSX combo,but I'll also be taking it down the progressive/metal road occasionally.As always,any help is appreciated.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Personally I'm in love with my CE22. It handles blues and clean stuff no problem but the pickups are not specifically voiced for metal (they still pull it off though). I've never played a Carvin so I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion there
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Personally I'm in love with my CE22. It handles blues and clean stuff no problem but the pickups are not specifically voiced for metal (they still pull it off though). I've never played a Carvin so I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion there

Thanks for the feedback.The CE model I played didn't exactly do "death metal",but it did put out a very nice and warm distorted tone.To give everyone an idea of the distortion I speak of it's similar to the sound of the band Opeth,an aggressive tone,but still warm and articulate.

I forgot to mention that the CE is a bolt on maple neck,where as the CT6 model I'm looking at is a set mahogany neck.The trems are also different,the PRS trem compared to a Wilkinson model.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I'd go for the prs because you liked both models the same, similar features, but the PRS will have better resale value.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Pr0gNut
Thanks for the feedback.The CE model I played didn't exactly do "death metal",but it did put out a very nice and warm distorted tone.To give everyone an idea of the distortion I speak of it's similar to the sound of the band Opeth,an aggressive tone,but still warm and articulate.

Thats exactly what I love about my PRS. The tone is just so warm, resonant and it sustains for weeks. I can't really offer an opinion on the trem since I got mine blocked soon after for ease of tuning change. Got new pickups in the mail yesterday morning so just waiting for them to get back from the tech
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Being a huge PRS fan-boi, and a Carvin owner who's absolutely in love with his Carvin, I dont know what to say. This may be the hardest decision of you're life. Just know that whatever you pick will be a kick ass guitar
A vote for PRS from a PRS fanboy.

Of course I am a fanboy due to the fact that I've played many of them, and they are incredible.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by littlemurph7976
Being a huge PRS fan-boi, and a Carvin owner who's absolutely in love with his Carvin, I dont know what to say. This may be the hardest decision of you're life. Just know that whatever you pick will be a kick ass guitar

Indeed,I've been wrestling with the choice ever since I picked up the CT6.I'm leaning towards the CT6 at the moment due to the set mahogany neck and Wilkinson trem,but the PRS just has that "iconic" vibe to it.It pisses me off that they're both so similar,priced the same,and are both equally amazing instruments.I'll post some pics of the two I'm looking at.

Here's a few of the Carvin:

And some shots of the PRS:

I've got a PRS and really like it. If you are torn between the two then you have a nice choice to make. Much better than not knowing what you want.
Both are propably ridicously nice to play on, but I'd choose the PRS because of the more "colourful" finish .
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I like the finish on the PRS, but I don't like how awfully matched the maple top is. I'd also much prefer the set neck and trem of the Carvin.
carvin rules!
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Vlasco
I like the finish on the PRS, but I don't like how awfully matched the maple top is. I'd also much prefer the set neck and trem of the Carvin.

Yeah the top is pretty crooked on that model.The Carvin also doesn't have the "heel from hell" that a lot of PRS models are notorious for.I also like the contrast between the black flame maple and the mahogany on the CT6.

Quote by alternitivebass
I'd go for the prs because you liked both models the same, similar features, but the PRS will have better resale value.

+1

Carvins have some of the worst resale value of any guitar I've ever seen.
Quote by T!AN
+1

Carvins have some of the worst resale value of any guitar I've ever seen.

The resale value isn't a huge concern of mine,since I'll be buying used to begin with and I have no intentions of ever selling the guitar once I buy it.That being said,the economy is pretty shaky at the moment,so you never know....