I want to get a tube distortion/od pedal (as in the pedal has a preamp tube in it). I want to get one that's as versatile as possible, from a very light bluesy sound to metal. I play in a grunge/alternative/punk band and need a fairly high gain for that, but not too high, balls to the wall metal high. I was thinking about any of these three:

Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion

Radial ToneBone Hot British Distortion

Damage Control Solid Metal Distortion

My amp is a solid state Randall RX120D Head and a Marshall cab. My budget is 200, but i might be able to go to 300, although I'd rather not. Suggest me others if you want or your opinions on the tone and versatility of these pedals if you own them

Help!
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
i have the hot british and its awesome
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I have a Nady TD-1, which I hear is the pedal the Tonebone Classic is based on. It's a good pedal. I probably wouldn't want to pay $200 for it. For versatile, I'd pick my Jekyll & Hyde over the TD-1.
Sell your amp, and use all the money to buy a good tube combo. Thats what I would do. If you need a pedal, get the Radial Tonebone Hot British.
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by stratdud39
not supposed to use tube distortion pedals with solid state amps

Who says? It's basically putting a tube preamp into an amp that has a solid state power amp. So it kind of creates a hybrid. Why would it matter?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Who says? It's basically putting a tube preamp into an amp that has a solid state power amp. So it kind of creates a hybrid. Why would it matter?

i've heard it sounds like utter crap, so if you DO get one, be sure to try it out with your amp first.
^Will do.

Can you recommend me some good pedals that aren't tube? I hate boss and a lot of digitech, so try to steer clear of those.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Darkflame
ibanezzzzzzzzzz tubeeee screeemaaaahhhhhhhhhh =)

not through my SS head.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Darkflame
ibanezzzzzzzzzz tubeeee screeemaaaahhhhhhhhhh =)

-not tube
-not a distortion pedal.

OP, the Blackstar ones seem to sound like crap, so don't get those...

The Tonebone has nothing but glowing reviews; personally I wouldn't want my distortion to come from a pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
-not tube
-not a distortion pedal.

OP, the Blackstar ones seem to sound like crap, so don't get those...

The Tonebone has nothing but glowing reviews; personally I wouldn't want my distortion to come from a pedal.

i never said anything about Blackstar ones, but thanks for the tip on them.

It's mainly for convenience. I have a solid state head for reliability at shows and traveling. So my distortion has to come from the pedal to allow easy switching (I'm not a huge fan of amp distortions, even on high end tube amps), so i run a pedal through my clean channel and turn it on and off whenever i need clean or distortion.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
The radial plexitube and hot britsih sound good maybe a sd twin tube mayhem or classic?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Like someone else mentioned, save your money and put it toward a new amp. Tube distortion pedals don't live up to the hype. The majority of tube distortion pedals run in starvation mode. That single preamp tube at such low power doesn't do as much as you think/hope it is.