which are actually better?

herman Li has beaten up an S5703 for 13 years of playing and has never had any problems (according to interviews with him)

and RGs are used by bands like slipknot who really bang them up.

but which are actually better for the price?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

It's a matter of personal opinion,there is no universally "better" or "best" guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I personally like the look of the S series better, and therefor I'm more attracted to them.
Try them out?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
i like the s series. mahogany body, ZR trem. perfect for me

but some people may value basswood/24 frets more you know?
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
I own an RG but i feel the S series is more comfortable and lightweight, sound all depends on the wood and pickups
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by Silver-spear94
which are actually better?

herman Li has beaten up an S5703 for 13 years of playing and has never had any problems (according to interviews with him)

and RGs are used by bands like slipknot who really bang them up.

but which are actually better for the price?

nothing about playability... just 'banging them up?'
get your priorities straight man, very few guitars are gonna fall apart in your hands.
personally i prefer the S series, better trem.
im not one of those edge 3 haters but the ZR is simply awesome
Well, the S is simply a higher end series, but there people who prefer the RG's for various reasons - thicker body(well any guitar would be ticker than an S), 24 frets, etc, but personally I can't think of many guitar with better playability than the S series. As for pickups, neither of them are that great, but the S pickups are marginally better, As for the trem, well, no comments, I think enough users all over Ug have testified to it's sheer awesomeness.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Saber: Slimmer, curved, ergonomic body, mahogany (usually?), seem to sustain less, great trem, needs maintenance

RG: Thicker, less-curvy body, usually basswood, edge 3-equipped RGs aren't great, non-edge 3-RGs are amazing
Shouldnt you know about the RG series already seiing as you own one

Anyway they are both great try them and see which one you like the best.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Off topic here,but does anyone know if there are S models in the J Custom line? Or is that Line just RG models?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Off topic here,but does anyone know if there are S models in the J Custom line? Or is that Line just RG models?

Are we just talking prestige here? There are prestige S series if thats what your asking.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Are we just talking prestige here? There are prestige S series if thats what your asking.

Nope,the J custom line is different from the prestige series,and IMHO they're the best guitars that Ibanez produces today.I've only ever seen mahogany bodied RG models in the J Custom line,so I was wondering if it was an RG only series.The only Ibanez model I've played that can compare to a J Custom is a JEM,and to be honest the J Custom sounded better and was more of a looker IMO.

Oh yeah now I remember those are the Team J Craft RG's right?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
basswood or mahogany?

that is the question (yeah i know there are mahogany rgs, but just for the sake of simplicity)
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Last edited by 5th_fret at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Oh yeah now I remember those are the Team J Craft RG's right?

Yup,they're the models that come with the high end edge trems and either real duncan or DiMarzio pups I believe,and are only released on the Japanese market.I'm seriously considering getting one in the next month or two,but the international shipping from Japan to the US is a real ball breaker.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Yup,they're the models that come with the high end edge trems and either real duncan or DiMarzio pups I believe,and are only released on the Japanese market.I'm seriously considering getting one in the next month or two,but the international shipping from Japan to the US is a real ball breaker.

Yeah sorry I had a brain fart there, I knew that but my brain didnt remember

Yeah I would love to have one of those MIJ rules. Theres one for sale on harmony central I think but I cant remember it says Team J Craft on the headstock too.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I own an RG2EX1. I love it. I say go with the RG.

Herman Li = Fake.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Quote by GatesIsGod
I own an RG2EX1. I love it. I say go with the RG.

Herman Li = Fake.

He may be fake, but anyone who says "Zomg herman ri sucks so bad lololol" is ignorant. Fake? Maybe, but he has skill.

And i don't even like dragonforce.

Also, that's a retarded reason not to get an S series guitar.
I own an old S-series, check my profile for pics. Don't mind pup differences cause you can always change them. The S isn't as light as you might think, it weighs a **** load for its thickness.

I owned a GRG a few years back and I know you can't compare it to a real RG, but the S-series' body is much more comfortable when sitting and standing. The only downside of the S would be the lack of 24 frets. For versatility go with an S!
Check out both. The RG you can probably get what it's like without playing it much but the S is an amazing series of guitars. Especially with the wicked trem/bridge they have. The S is pretty much better in the end but might be too pricey. You'll want to put some nicer pickups in either one though.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by Pr0gNut

Just to clarify with what I know: The Team J Craft stamp can be found on regular Prestige Ibanez, as can Dimarzio pickups, it just depends on the specific guitar. I have a PGM301 which has the Team J Craft stamp on the backside of the headstock, as well as on the HSC. It has Dimarzios in it as well. J Customs are, as far as I can tell, Ibanez's equivalent of Gibson Custom guitars. Handmade/crafted, but not actually custom made or anything.
I personally think RGs are better. I own two and they are the most amazing guitars I've owned. Way better than my Bich Or Dime (yes, a signature model from dean). But I'm a B.C Rich fan and i love my B.C Rich Beast
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Just to clarify with what I know: The Team J Craft stamp can be found on regular Prestige Ibanez, as can Dimarzio pickups, it just depends on the specific guitar. I have a PGM301 which has the Team J Craft stamp on the backside of the headstock, as well as on the HSC. It has Dimarzios in it as well. J Customs are, as far as I can tell, Ibanez's equivalent of Gibson Custom guitars. Handmade/crafted, but not actually custom made or anything.

I'm well aware of that,the J Craft logo is featured on all of their modern MIJ instruments I believe.Also,most prestige models do not have brand name pups,the sig models do,but the standard prestige series models usually come with the Ibanez made pups.They aren't actually "custom" made,but from what I've seen a dealer can order a small custom batch of them in a limited run edition.The one I'm looking at purchasing is one of only six holy gold finished flame maple top models.They all come with a COA and a bunch of case candy so you are correct,they're basically the Ibanez equivalent to the Gibson custom shop production models.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'm well aware of that,the J Craft logo is featured on all of their modern MIJ instruments I believe.Also,most prestige models do not have brand name pups,the sig models do,but the standard prestige series models usually come with the Ibanez made pups.They aren't actually "custom" made,but from what I've seen a dealer can order a small custom batch of them in a limited run edition.The one I'm looking at purchasing is one of only six holy gold finished flame maple top models.They all come with a COA and a bunch of case candy so you are correct,they're basically the Ibanez equivalent to the Gibson custom shop production models.

The reason I mentioned about the stamp was for the benefit of the other guy, as he seemed to be a bit mixed up about it (it is confusing, J Custom and J... see I've already forgotten the other one!).

Got any pics of the one you're looking at? It sounds sexy!

In regards to the main topic though, I think that they're equivalent in quality, they're just very different. The S body is super thin, so much so it's very uncomfortable for me personally, as it pokes my ribs and whatnot. The RG I love on the other hand, specially for it's pointiness. Also the necks may be different on some RG's and S's, I'm not totally sure.

They're both pretty lightweight guitars though, if you're looking at basswood RG's. Just a few pounds on my PGM and I love it like that.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Feb 28, 2009,
Quote by I Poke Badgers
The reason I mentioned about the stamp was for the benefit of the other guy, as he seemed to be a bit mixed up about it (it is confusing, J Custom and J... see I've already forgotten the other one!).

Got any pics of the one you're looking at? It sounds sexy!

In regards to the main topic though, I think that they're equivalent in quality, they're just very different. The S body is super thin, so much so it's very uncomfortable for me personally, as it pokes my ribs and whatnot. The RG I love on the other hand, specially for it's pointiness. Also the necks may be different on some RG's and S's, I'm not totally sure.

They're both pretty lightweight guitars though, if you're looking at basswood RG's. Just a few pounds on my PGM and I love it like that.

Sure I'll post a couple pics,but they may be ridiculously large.

Gosh that's nice. It has the same case as other Prestige Ibanez though, which is surprising. I like the flame maple binding on the neck, that's snazzy.

If you get that thing, it will no doubt make you happy for many many years. Really any good Ibanez will, but that thing is super nice.

Good luck finding it/buying it/whatever you need luck with!
Quote by huevos
Holy **** prognut, that guitar looks amazing!

What's the model name? And where are you looking to buy it from? Ebay?

It's the RRG4 model,and I'm looking to purchase it from a very reputable dealer in Japan through Ebay.The guy ships all of his guitars with a full set up (locking stud mod,fret leveling and polishing,and all that other jazz) and insurance,and gives a ton of info if asked.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It's the RRG4 model,and I'm looking to purchase it from a very reputable dealer in Japan through Ebay.The guy ships all of his guitars with a full set up (locking stud mod,fret leveling and polishing,and all that other jazz) and insurance,and gives a ton of info if asked.

Whats the price tag im guessing at least a grand or so
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Whats the price tag im guessing at least a grand or so

About 2000 USD with shipping,insurance,and the set up mods he does.It's actually a fair price for a new J Custom,considering that some US dealers charge up towards 2600 USD for the same model.

anybody know if ibanez is gonna put out an rg with the zr trem cause id buy that in a heartbeat
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']damn straight. How do our ghetto counterparts say..."Kickin it old school"?

currently upgrading my gear but here's the stuff im keeping
Gibson les paul studio
Rebuilt ibanez rg
Ibanez rgr421exfm

Hopefully a new amp soon
Quote by XJudX
anybody know if ibanez is gonna put out an rg with the zr trem cause id buy that in a heartbeat

They wont because the S series is known for having ZR so I doubt they are gonna change it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
that sucks because i really prefer the rg style and 24 frets and i love that trem.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']damn straight. How do our ghetto counterparts say..."Kickin it old school"?

Gibson les paul studio
Rebuilt ibanez rg
Ibanez rgr421exfm

Hopefully a new amp soon
Quote by XJudX
that sucks because i really prefer the rg style and 24 frets and i love that trem.

Try an RG with an edge zero trem.It's kinda like the bastard child of an edge and the ZR systems.

hmm

ill look into it

great way to describe it too lol

Gibson les paul studio
Rebuilt ibanez rg
Ibanez rgr421exfm

Hopefully a new amp soon
Quote by Pac_man0123
There's a prestige S with 24 frets and a ZR trem.

I believe that's the S5470 model with the ZR3 system right?