ok, so i went out and bought an all tube amp finally (peavey 3120) I was hoping to be able to get this sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvOBwpZPtMY&feature=related
The riff at the very beginning and at 0:53 The way its played, i get a very unclear sound at around the third note (the g string, haha!) Its very i guess muddy, i cant describe it, but its not clear like in the video were you can destinguish the 5 notes perfectlly, and no matter what amp i use or settings i cant get that sound. Not even the youtube cover people can get it, i noticed. Now i know its not a tube overdrive because i tried it with a tubescreamer and still not that sound. Its not the Mesa boogie amp they use because i tried it, and that amp is even muddier than my old line 6! Then i came across an interesting topic at another forum: The sonic maximizer. Supposedly it eliminates alot of those muddy frequencies and makes notes clearer and more high pitched. Is this what I could be missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. And no im not trying to TOTALLY imitate his sound, but I am in a Blink cover band, and i LOVE that sound, even if its just this song. Again, Thanks guys.
poop. funniest word ever.
Lower the gain? Change the eq settings?

If the 3120 is similar to the Triple XXX it shouldn't be too muddy...
I'm not cool.
Ditch the Maximizer idea and get a EQ pedal. It will help you hone in your tone and bring out clarity.

And side not the Maximizer is pretty much just a uber simple to use eqing system. But with the downfall of making your tone sound digital. They sound great at first but then you will end up hearing the nuances and hate it. Also you can get an eq to sound almost spot on to a Maximizer. But thats just my opinion and the issue I had when I owned mine.
I laughed the entire way through, but especially these parts:

Quote by himynameisangel
Now i know its not a tube overdrive because i tried it with a tubescreamer and still not that sound.

Quote by himynameisangel
Its not the Mesa boogie amp they use because i tried it, and that amp is even muddier than my old line 6!

Quote by himynameisangel
Supposedly it eliminates alot of those muddy frequencies and makes notes clearer and more high pitched.

Quote by himynameisangel
but I am in a Blink cover band, and i LOVE that sound

I smell a troll.
Checking his other posts (cyberstalking ftw) he doesn't look like a troll.

But it seems he's trying to play a fingerpicking pattern with high gain. ._.
I'm not cool.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
But with the downfall of making your tone sound digital.

What?

The SM's provide a more focused low end at low-mid volume levels and improve clarity, that's if you know how to use it properly. Can't say I've ever heard a SM make someones rig sound digital.
Quote by StrangeAngel
Checking his other posts (cyberstalking ftw) he doesn't look like a troll.

But it seems he's trying to play a fingerpicking pattern with high gain. ._.

I think thats exactly whats going on, I did try lowering the gain but then it just sounds like old 80's rock like aerosmith. And to the guy that just "laughed all the way through" Im sorry, i didnt know i wasnt allowed to come to a GUITAR website and ask for help. I forgot that Blink isnt "real" music and only rapid fire fingerpicking is allowed in this forums. I have shamed all guitarist everywere, and for that I apologize.
Try using an eq and sonic max, tweak it right and your amp will be louder at 4 than when it is turned up full blast
Quote by himynameisangel
I think thats exactly whats going on, I did try lowering the gain but then it just sounds like old 80's rock like aerosmith. And to the guy that just "laughed all the way through" Im sorry, i didnt know i wasnt allowed to come to a GUITAR website and ask for help. I forgot that Blink isnt "real" music and only rapid fire fingerpicking is allowed in this forums. I have shamed all guitarist everywere, and for that I apologize.

You're playing a pattern on 3 strings, right? from high e to G. Some of the strings are played open. If You play with high gain and let the strings ring it will create a muddy mess. Just try to mute the strings. (light palm muting if you have to, but it's better if you mute them with your fretting hand)

I'm trying to help. This simply seems like a problem with playing technique, not gear.
I'm not cool.
My experience with the SM is that it works well on just as many amps as it doesn't.
I like keeping both the low contour and process dial below half (4). It adds a nice touch of clarity and definition. I don't see it as an EQ at all because I'm not boosting or cutting any freq's when I use it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by StrangeAngel
You're playing a pattern on 3 strings, right? from high e to G. Some of the strings are played open. If You play with high gain and let the strings ring it will create a muddy mess. Just try to mute the strings. (light palm muting if you have to, but it's better if you mute them with your fretting hand)

I'm trying to help. This simply seems like a problem with playing technique, not gear.

Yes! they are from high e to g, so you think muting the g string will do it? Hmm, ill give it a try tonight... thanks
Sorry if somebody asked this and I missed it, but what are your settings on the amp?
Everything, the EQ, the gain-settings, volume, give us the run down. I would figure you could acquire a tone much like that in the video, seeing as Blink 182's punk guitar tone isn't exactly what I'd call incredibly unique for a punk band.
Try putting every single setting to 5, on everything. Gain included, maybe adjust the volume/post-gain to what you like, but with 5 on everything, I find that on most amps that are versatile enough (Like I hear the 3120 is) you can get a decent punk tone. Muddiness shouldn't occur with that amp, especially not if you're not down-tuning to oblivian and not playing metal. I have a feeling it's more of a technique issue than the amp's for some reason.
Last edited by bowen at Feb 28, 2009,
By Christ Tom's rig is awesome.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by himynameisangel
Yes! they are from high e to g, so you think muting the g string will do it? Hmm, ill give it a try tonight... thanks

If You didn't mute the strings, then it's 99% the cause of the muddiness...

btw, check the tabs, isn't there a way to play the intro on one string?

EDIT: i'm by no means a fan of the band. I'm just trying to help. ._.
I'm not cool.
^+1 its probably because you didnt palm mute. as far as the amp sound goes, keep in mind that the windsor cab is quite sh1tty, so yeah. also, just wondering, whats your settings on the amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
my settings: BASS at about 4 or 5 MID at 7, TREBLE at 9. GAIN is set well, between 4 and 5, depending on what i hear is less muddy, channel volume at 5
Turn the treble down to between 5-7, and try from there. The rest seem about right, maybe turn the bass up as well, and a bit easier on the mids. Keep the Gain around 4-5, as you have it.
Does the 3120 have presence and resonance?
you using the crunch or lead channel?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
no tis doesnt have presence or resonance but it does have a tight/mid/loose switch on the back...