So everybody knows the classics, but I am having trouble finding some more modern progressive metal bands, can anybody recommend some?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Vanden Plas
Circus Maximus
Devin Townsend Band
Riverside
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I can't recommend Symphony X enough, and +1 to the Circus Maximus recommendations.

Slow Tension (good if you like Liquid Tension Experiment and/or Dream Theater)
Star One (another project from the mastermind behind Ayreon)
Shadow Gallery
Dreamscape
Pain of Salvation
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Spiral Architect
Blotted Science
Spastic Ink
Gordian Knot
Cynic's Traced in Air (minus the metal for the most part though)
Edge of Sanity (if SymX is new...)
Jordan Rudess' Rhythm of Time
Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor title track (the rest of the album is not that prog)
Lost interest.
Collibus, very similar to Dream Theater and still very good. The vocals are a bit of a stretch though.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
So these bands are a bit different from what other bands have been posted in this thread, but here's some modernish progressive metal that i listen to:

Between the Buried and Me
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Protest the Hero (kind of on the borderline. Not metal but they're definately progressive)
Opeth (obviously
Definetly Symphony X and Dream Theater
Also between the buried and me

Sonata Arctica have some quite proggy touches on their latest album too imo (Unia)
Top lel.
Redemption
JT Bruce's work if you like pure instrumental stuff
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I will give a +1 to Devin Townsend because his music is bonkers. I love it to death, he has a crazy style on the guitar and his vocals are pretty much flawless whether he's singing clean or in death screams.

3 are less metal but very cool, I saw them on the last Prog Nation tour and they destroyed. Same goes for pretty much all the bands on that bill actually, it was nuts. Really pumped for this year's tour!
no
Opeth
Between the Buried and Me
Scale the Summit <--- Definitely check them out.
Pelican (Not exactly prog, but worth checking out)
Porcupine Tree
last.fm[/url}
I think it is funny that most of the bands mentioned here so far are all very well known within Prog metal circles.
Quote by LucasGtrGod
I think it is funny that most of the bands mentioned here so far are all very well known within Prog metal circles.

Going to post something more obscure or just sit there and gloat in your "more underground than thou"-ness?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Going to post something more obscure or just sit there and gloat in your "more underground than thou"-ness?

No its just that I feel most of the bands listed don't necessarily need anymore exposure.

And if you'd read through the thread a bit more you would have seen I did post a number of examples.
Lately, I've been checking out a really new band called Sons of Seasons started by Simone Simons's fiancee Oliver Palotai. I can't get enough of the music -- can't wait for their debut album's release at the end of the month.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD