For a while I've been interested in blues, folk and country music. A little odd for a typical metalhead, but oh well! It started during our improvisation lessons in college, with the blues backing tracks and scales. Basically, I don't know where to start looking/researching. I know the blues scale, but that's not much to go on.

Can anyone recommend me some good artists of the genres? Currently I'm listening to a lot of Jackson Browne (not blues I know, but I like that kind of style).

Thanks in advance!
joe bonamassa
government mule
stevie ray vaughn
zz top
allman bros.
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
i like Taj Mahal and Johnny "Guitar" Watson alot
███████
███████
███████

Viva Hollandia
What kind of blues are you into? If it's electric blues, you need to check out the Chicago based blues artists like Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, the 3 Kings (B.B., Albert and Freddie), etc... Also, obviously Stevie Ray Vaughan was a monster, and I also like Derek Trucks, and Joe Bonamassa for more contemporary players.
If you're more into acoustic blues check out where it all started: Robert Johnson. Clapton has an album of nothing but Johnson covers.
I recommend Gov't Mule for that blues based rock stuff. Also check out Joe Bonamassa, it's nice to see others recommending him.
ya man definitly check out GOVERNMNET MULE! they are more rock blues so its an easier transition from the metal stuff you been playin. from there stevie ray vaughn and the three kings like the other guy said. if you like slow hand stuff more check out claptons stuff and that whole british blues explosion of the 60s and 70s. once you get all that then you need to check out hendrixs experimental psychodelic blues. and then your set!

for your acoustic desire id go with robert johnson and that early blues movement.
Last edited by Tyrus97 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by SilverSpurs616
For a while I've been interested in blues, folk and country music. A little odd for a typical metalhead, but oh well! It started during our improvisation lessons in college, with the blues backing tracks and scales. Basically, I don't know where to start looking/researching. I know the blues scale, but that's not much to go on.
Can anyone recommend me some good artists of the genres? Currently I'm listening to a lot of Jackson Browne (not blues I know, but I like that kind of style).

Thanks in advance!

Umm... wow. Okay so you know the scale, learn how to lay it out on a single string, then learn all the modes. Something tells me that if this isn't adequate enough you haven't fully explored it. Fully explore that scale bro, its incredibly flexible.

Also, most music genres have chord progressions (if not specific chords) associated with them.

Edit: as far as artist are concerned, robert leroy johnson is awesome. Not only that, but if your a metal head this guy is god: he actually sold his soul to the devil to be a better guitarist. According to the legend the devil took his guitar, tuned it, played a few jams, and gave it back to him to rock out with; effectively selling his soul. Thats ****ing metal.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by gizmodious

Edit: as far as artist are concerned, robert leroy johnson is awesome. Not only that, but if your a metal head this guy is god: he actually sold his soul to the devil to be a better guitarist. According to the legend the devil took his guitar, tuned it, played a few jams, and gave it back to him to rock out with; effectively selling his soul. Thats ****ing metal.

That's a pretty interesting story, I'm definitely intrigued
the three kings of blues:

albert king, freddie king, and BB king. that would be a good place to start i think. i really like eric clapton a lot, stevie ray vaughan, hendrix, and joe bonamassa are great blues players as well. rory gallagher is pretty awesome too. albert collins too.

just seach youtube for standard blues licks. there are a bunch of lessons on there. that should help get you started for sure.
Steve Ray Vaughn

idk if i spelled that right but yeah

amazing
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
blues. john lee hooker , blind lemon jefferson, lead belly, howlin wolf, bb king,
lead belly, SRV, clapton, bb king.

Aside from your basic blues guys, i would suggest looking into some guys who are utilizing blues in contemporary music, like john mayer, dereck trucks, stuff like that.