So I'd like to play the guitar with the Marshall sound. From what I understand, Marshall doesn't make the amps like they used to anymore... So I looked at alternatives, and I came across Ceriatone. They seem to make good clones for a reasonable price!
- I have a MIA Stratocaster and a Godin Freeway Classic (H-S-H)
- I play mostly classic rock and blues. Anything else except metal.
- The budget is 1500$ tops.
- I'm currently a bedroom guitarist, but I'd like an amp loud enough for band practice for when I'll join one.
- I'd like a combo amp.
- I'd like the amp to be able to get some decent cleans

1. Question is, which clone would suit me best?
2. Also, do the amps come with speakers? (their website confuses me )
3. For bedroom playing, should I get one with a master volume (I think they offer it)?

Or, should I get another Marshall alternative ---> you gimme one

Thanks
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
No their amps do not come with speakers. You can have Nik install a PPIMV for you.
PPIMV??? What's that? Sorry for the noobiness...

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
It's a master volume placed after the phase inverter tube. It's slightly better than your typical master volume as you get gain from the phase inverter along with gain from the preamp.
Ah ok thanks!

It looks like I should go with the jtm45 for what I play?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
al112987 - isn't there an official marshall clone thread? If not, I nominate you...

I did find the Marshall Thread Gabel started. That may be a good read for the TS.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499224&page=22&pp=20&highlight=gabe+marshall+thread

Good luck MCRibz, I know you are searching hard for the right amp for you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Buy an MG, they're fantastic!!!!! lol

In all honesty, you should get a roland cube, something 20+ watts.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I am, I am... I just can't settle down. Good thing Ug's here for some help
Thanks!

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
I am, I am... I just can't settle down. Good thing Ug's here for some help
Thanks!

It's kewl, we are all there at one point or another. in the week.
Hmmm... from what I gathered the JTM45 would be too loud for bedroom playing?
Should I get the 18 Watt instead? Which version (regular/tmb/tmb ef86)? What are their differences?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Anyone?...

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
i play some of the same stuff with my band lot of blues and classic rock my crate works for it but it is solid state which sounds pretty good but nothing tube like but im planning on getting a Peavey Windsor its a british voiced amp suppose to resemble a jcm800
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
If you want any sort of power amp distortion, any amp >1w is too loud for bedroom playing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
If you want any sort of power amp distortion, any amp >1w is too loud for bedroom playing.

I kinda really want the overdrive at bedroom levels...
Would an attenuator help? I'm just scared of killing the tone...
Can an amp overdrive earlier than others? (I heard the peavey Classic 30 could, not sure?)

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
..bump

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz

I kinda really want the overdrive at bedroom levels...
Would an attenuator help? I'm just scared of killing the tone...
Can an amp overdrive earlier than others? (I heard the peavey Classic 30 could, not sure?)

Using a attenuator at bedroom volumes kills the tone. Don't even bother, a PPIMV would sound better at that volume anyway.

To use an attenuator, you can only slightly decrease the volume without loosing tone.

Look, MCR, I had the same dilemma as you. I wanted a marshall clone for bedroom playing and had a similar budget. For the music you play, get a Ceriatone 18 watt TMB ( It has a 3 band eq instead of a simple tone control) with a Post Phase-Inverter master volume. I'd suggest that you get the amp in a 1x12 combo form and then order a scumback speaker to put in the cab.

I am a tone purist ( I eventually ordered a JTM45 with a PPIMV) and I can tell you that you're getting one of the best rock tones on the market with an 18 watter.
No modern Marshall reissue can come close to the sound you're gonna get.
The TMB is superior to the normal 18 watter with the tremolo. It gets a bit more preamp gain and has the full TMB eq. The tremolo doesn't really sound that great anyway. I haven't heard the ef86 version. I do know it's a bit hard to find good ef86 tubes these days though.
Quote by Mike!
Using a attenuator at bedroom volumes kills the tone. Don't even bother, a PPIMV would sound better at that volume anyway.

To use an attenuator, you can only slightly decrease the volume without loosing tone.

Look, MCR, I had the same dilemma as you. I wanted a marshall clone for bedroom playing and had a similar budget. For the music you play, get a Ceriatone 18 watt TMB ( It has a 3 band eq instead of a simple tone control) with a Post Phase-Inverter master volume. I'd suggest that you get the amp in a 1x12 combo form and then order a scumback speaker to put in the cab.

I am a tone purist ( I eventually ordered a JTM45 with a PPIMV) and I can tell you that you're getting one of the best rock tones on the market with an 18 watter.
No modern Marshall reissue can come close to the sound you're gonna get.

Wow! You basically solved my problem
Quick question though: Is a scumback speaker a type of speaker? (like celestion, for example)
[EDIT] Nevermind, I looked it up and found it.

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta

QFT
Quote by al112987
The TMB is superior to the normal 18 watter with the tremolo. It gets a bit more preamp gain and has the full TMB eq. The tremolo doesn't really sound that great anyway. I haven't heard the ef86 version. I do know it's a bit hard to find good ef86 tubes these days though.

But EF86 is for faggots
Quote by Mike!
But EF86 is for faggots

Awesome.

"Is there an EF86 in this thing?"
- "yeah"
"God, I smelled it..."

The guy definitely knows good tone though, and apparently is one of those big guys to go to when you're looking for NOS glass.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 28, 2009,
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction with Ceriatone -

I read someone's post on here that said that because Ceriatone's are made in India or somewhere like that, the shipping is so outrageous that it's not even worth it.

Is that so?
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
Get a Traynor YCV50, those things are very Marshall-like in tone. Great amps, fantastic cleans as well.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Get a Traynor YCV50, those things are very Marshall-like in tone. Great amps, fantastic cleans as well.

Ya, I was also considering a Traynor.
How would it compare to the Ceriatone 18W? (advantages and disadvantages of each)

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Also, I forgot to say, this'll be my first tube amp. Should I get something like the Ceriatone right away, or find something a little less pricey like the traynor?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
Ya, I was also considering a Traynor.
How would it compare to the Ceriatone 18W? (advantages and disadvantages of each)

I have never played a Marshall clone.

But, I do own a YCV50.

I just know that my Traynor has intensely good cleans, and it sounds pretty good when overdriven.

For $800, can't really go wrong. It has a damn good warranty too. 2 year, transferable even-if-you-break-it. If you can find one, try and test it out.
Quote by burn out on me
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction with Ceriatone -

I read someone's post on here that said that because Ceriatone's are made in India or somewhere like that, the shipping is so outrageous that it's not even worth it.

Is that so?

not at all.

They are made in Malaysia, and yes the shipping is outrageous, but the prices are still so much cheaper than just about every other Marshall clone out there and are still far cheaper than Marshall's own reissues and superior to Marshall's own reissues.

I have NEVER heard from anyone that the outrageous shipping made the amp not worth it. There is a reason why Ceriatone has such a good rep and why there is a waiting list for the amps. Even with $200 for shipping, when you can tell me where else you can get a new, fully handwired JTM45 for $900, then you can say that it's not worth it.

Nik Azam (the guy who runs and builds Ceriatones) has caught some flack on other boards (ex. TGP) for some of his amps (mainly his Trainwreck and Dumble style amp which people tend to get bend out of shape about), but the consensus from everyone who owns one of his amps is that the workmanship and quality is impeccable.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 28, 2009,
Yeah, I've been PMing wiht the TS and can say that the Ceriatone is great. Nik has great rep from people over at 18watt, so I'd definetly get it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
for blues and classic rock, i'd get a classic 30. decent cleans with plenty of gain on tap for that classic rock crunch, and it's quite capable of going to hard rock/light metal with a good OD boost. . also it takes pedals very well

i'd recommend the fender blues deluxe but it's way too loud for bedroom use. actually, it's great but you'd have to crank it to get a great tone(not that it sounds bad at low volumes ). the cleans are much better than the Classic 30, that's for sure
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Today I'm going to try out some amps. I'll try some Traynors, Vox, Marshalls and fool around with some others. If I'm not completely satisfied by any of them, Ceriatone is the one!

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Ahhhh...I just came back from the store. I was able to try a Traynor YCV50. It sounds great, AND it's only 700$!
What do you think I should do...
- Buy the Traynor for 700$
- Buy the Ceriatone 18W. In total with shipping, buying a speaker, it'll cost me ~1500$
Is the price difference worth it?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
i think you should buy the traynor.

2 year UNLIMITED WARRANTY!

you know what that means? you can take a ****ing hammer and smash it to bits, record it and send the bits and pieces of the amp with the vid claiming you did it on purpose. they'll still give you a Replacement.

well, i kinda exaggerated but they do have a 2 year replacement warranty even if it's your fault.

can't beat that
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i think you should buy the traynor.

2 year UNLIMITED WARRANTY!

you know what that means? you can take a ****ing hammer and smash it to bits, record it and send the bits and pieces of the amp with the vid claiming you did it on purpose. they'll still give you a Replacement.

well, i kinda exaggerated but they do have a 2 year replacement warranty even if it's your fault.

can't beat that

Indeed that warranty is great! But the more important part is soundwise and quality-wise

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Traynors sound great. and they have great reliability.

one more features is the auto-biasing level thingy, whatever it's called.

so if you blow a tube just replace it with no need to worry about the bias.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
TS, you must get the Traynor. $700! You'll be incredibly glad you did. I'm sure the Ceriatone sounds good, but $1500? That's quite a bit...

Good luck with your decision!
Anyone think I should go for the Ceriatone instead?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
Anyone think I should go for the Ceriatone instead?

Of course there will be, but it's your money. There are good arguments to get either depending. Do you want a mass produced 50 watt amp for bedroom use or do you want a hand made amp. They are completely different animals. While I like the Traynor a lot, I personally would search out a Fargan Mini Plex or Ceriatone used but that's me not you. They are simply more usable at lower volumes.
Quote by gregs1020
Of course there will be, but it's your money. There are good arguments to get either depending. Do you want a mass produced 50 watt amp for bedroom use or do you want a hand made amp. They are completely different animals. While I like the Traynor a lot, I personally would search out a Fargan Mini Plex or Ceriatone used but that's me not you. They are simply more usable at lower volumes.

Exactly. I'd rather have the 18watt, since I love them. But the Traynor is not a bad amp at all. It's basically about how much you can afford and spend.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009