So im getting a job soon (hopefully...)
And looking to buy a head and eventually a 4x12 so all of my band can use our own equipment.

But i want suggestions as to what heads are good? ive probably got a 500-600GBP limit and also...
And whats with the ohms settings 16/8 etc... i know you cant run 16ohms through 8ohms cab or head will break/blow? (is this right?)

EDIT:: Will be playing DeathMetal/BlackMetal... and unfortunatly Deathcore :P but id still like some nice(ish) clean sounds for interludes nd w.e
Last edited by shuggy at Feb 27, 2009,
i got a peavey xxx on ebay for 500 its got plenty of gain and good cleans, and yes, you basically have to match the ohms on your amp to your cab otherwise you'll fuk **** up
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Look into the Randall for 500-550.
There is a nice one.
Also, Raven amps. New company and they are pretty nice.
Good rhythm tone, but if you want better leads, you would wanna look into getting a pedal.
Also... Marshall MG... but... Don't.. lol. Those amps suck solid-state from what I hear.

The thing is, for 500-600, you're getting solid state no matter what. So keep in mind that it's not going to have the BEST sound in the world... but if you're just a beginner, it'll do fine.

Also, look into a Line 6 Spider. I have heard mixed opinions about them, they're cheap, too.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

Was originally going to get a Valveking/Distortion Peda; cos it was cheap and would do till i can afford sth better.

Cant find any UK sites with that halfstack though >.>
Quote by headbangerbuggy
There is a nice one.
Good rhythm tone, but if you want better leads, you would wanna look into getting a pedal.
Also... Marshall MG... but... Don't.. lol. Those amps suck solid-state from what I hear.

The thing is, for 500-600, you're getting solid state no matter what. So keep in mind that it's not going to have the BEST sound in the world... but if you're just a beginner, it'll do fine.

Also, look into a Line 6 Spider. I have heard mixed opinions about them, they're cheap, too.

The MG heads are ****! But the cabs are decent enough. I have one and it hasn't failed me at shows or practices yet. I run that randall rx120d head through it.

And don't get anything Line 6. Too digital, thin sounding tone. You will regret if you buy line 6 spider.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
^ Isn't the marshall MG cab designed for SS heads? I was just wondering...

Going to a local shop that musicians do alot of purchasing and trading in is a good bet.
You can get a great head in that price range. With a few trade ins you can even leave
with a Marshall JCM.

Raven's are absolutely disgusting. Marshall MG's have good crunch and decent reverb and delay..but the tone is bad and they clip very easily. Spiders dont have alot of headroom...they dont work well with pedals or active pups. Valvekings are good, but they dont distance themselves enough from Solid state amps to justify the price.

Randalls are good. B-52's are reasonably priced. Crates work for some players.
Peavey has heads in your range too. Just do your research on how to buy a good
used tube amp. Learn as much as you can and choose a store with a good return
policy. Sometimes you cant beat a head thats already broken in.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 27, 2009,
Crate V100H? May have to get it online, though.
Frankly, I'd go to a store that has plenty of used gear and find something, There's plenty of wonderful used stuff around. That's how I got my Roost and cab
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

In the states you could get Marshall TSL or JCM 900 head and cab for the equivalent of 600GBP. Check ebay. Although for death metal there might be better options. I would recommend used though, tube amps are pretty tough and inexpensively fixed. You can get about twice the amp for the same money by going used, especially in this economy, people are motivated to sell.
....Why dont you just get a combo?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I haven't played through too many different stacks, but I do have a preference to Fender amps. The clean tone they give works to perfection with my pedal's distortion, making it very crisp and clear, so I'd say go with something by them.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by headbangerbuggy
There is a nice one.

never say mg or spider on a page like this, you'll end up ruining his life,

save up and get an engl =]